Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)  (Read 107209 times)

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mix-Pre 3/6 USB Batteries (what works and what doesn't)
« Reply #225 on: January 20, 2020, 07:40:59 PM »
LIVIN ON THE EDGE!
Living on the edge is powering with USB and not even bothering to slap the silly 4xAA sled on there.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #226 on: January 21, 2020, 05:03:52 PM »
I bought one of these! 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382309-REG/hawk_woods_sd_2_mixpwr_sound_devices_mix_pre.html

I had the SD version that is hot swapable.  I prefer the L mount batteries, but didn't like that the mount off the side.  The Hawks-wood is much better for mounting, but not hot swapable.  I have some really high mah L series batteries and just switch them at set break to be safe.  I also bought the Hawks-wood battery sled used and got a killer deal. 

semi-off topic, but now that i started using L-series batts on my zoom, i wouldnt hesitate to use them on the mixpre instead of the 8-AA sled. (i really dont consider the 4-AA sled all that useful except for as a backup power source

considering 8-AAs are around 5000 mA at 5V, almost any decent pair of L-series batts in the 2600-3000 mAh range should match or beat them on run time, and they are hot swappable unlike the AAs. and they make some big honkin ones as well, upwards of 10000 mAh, which could easily replace a usb-c battery without the cable fears

we'll be testing a bunch over here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=193221

ill circle back with recs, but i no longer have a mixpre. if anybody has an L-series mount i can pass a pair of known-good batts along to try, in a bit.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #227 on: January 21, 2020, 05:12:55 PM »
hey J bell if you wanna test some L-series batts i can send some along that we have metrics for, on the zoom
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #228 on: September 08, 2020, 07:16:29 PM »
I bought one of those Hypergear batteries a lot of people are using (the red/black one 12000 mAh). Broke out the MixPre-6 today to record some vinyl at the battery is completely dead. No power. Won't charge.

Looking for a more reliable (and maybe smaller) option.

I need to get through a normal night of Phish where I can just leave everything on and get though a single night...so maybe 6-8 hours of on time.

Entirely USB-C would be ideal.

Any good current options?
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #229 on: September 08, 2020, 07:49:47 PM »
Oh, oh I need to check my battery too.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2020, 07:49:57 PM »
I bought one of those Hypergear batteries a lot of people are using (the red/black one 12000 mAh). Broke out the MixPre-6 today to record some vinyl at the battery is completely dead. No power. Won't charge.

I need to get through a normal night of Phish where I can just leave everything on and get though a single night...so maybe 6-8 hours of on time.

the ankers are very stable
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2020, 07:50:43 PM »
Oh, oh I need to check my battery too.

kep your li-ions disconnected and at about 40% charge in a cool space and they'll live a good, long life

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #232 on: September 08, 2020, 11:02:35 PM »

I use the Anker 20100 mah PD+ packs and have never had an issue, besides once where I forgot to press the button to supply power via USB-C. They easily last all day at a festival.
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2020, 10:44:42 AM »
I picked up one of these on cybermonday for $20.  even smaller and lighter than the Hypergear.  testing at home with 2 channels phantom I got about 7-7.5 hours.  I never run more than 2 mics + sbd so this should be fine for me.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082WD5TY8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:00:25 AM by Gordon »
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2020, 12:01:25 PM »
Hypergear 12000 still on eBay for a good price. $21 OBO. I have a bunch and love them.

Offline ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2020, 01:27:50 PM »
I'd been wanting another Anker 20100mAh PC+ USB C power bank, but they have been sold out for several months online. Bit the bullet and went ahead and got the new Anker 26800mAh PC+ PD 45W USB C on sale black friday for about $100, ran it for 9 hours on my mixpre 6 with 2 mics using phantom and 2 mics run off their own power supply and the power bank still showed half of the bars left.
Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

Offline taper420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2020, 02:17:36 PM »
I don't know how applicable it is to the 3 and 6, but I just managed to get my 10 II to run off of a dual output USB A battery. I haven't tested the limits of this method yet, but it's more of a novelty on my way to powering it with 9V DVD batteries. I imagine similar methods could be applied to the 3 and 6. You can check out my progress here: https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=195943

The battery I am using to test on is applicable to the 3 and 6, though. I'm using the USB A outputs for testing but it does have a USB C PD output (I think it's 65W). It's a battery shell from China, model QD188-PD. It takes 8X 18650 cells and they are user removable (although swapping them messes with the capacity reading until you charge again).
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 02:32:48 PM by taper420 »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #238 on: August 04, 2021, 11:12:19 PM »
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a Mixpre 6ii. Looks like this battery will work, right?
Sure thing. That Anker looks like the newer version of what I run my Mixpre6 on.
Be sure to get a good USB-charger with USB-C.
My Anker pack runs about 10 hours, with 4 channels of phantom on the Neumann KM100 mics, and takes about 10 hours to charge back up via USB-C!
It takes WAAAAAY longer to charge via USB-A (old style USB) charger, so be sure to charge with USB-C to USB-C cable when you can.

You can run the MixPre 6 off that pack (or a smaller one, or even one which lacked USB-C) with a regular USB-A to USB-C cable but you would only get two channels of phantom power, and the power indictor would remain amber and not green in low power mode.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

SMsound

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2021, 05:06:12 AM »
^^ This advice is exactly what I would say. I record 2-6 channels on my Mixpre-6 I with phantom power, full screen brightness, etc.

I use 4X Eneloop Pro's (Ikea LADDA) for <60 minute recordings just because it's easy/nice form factor. I can get a couple hours max with the 4AA's but it makes me nervous over 1hour.

I use an Anker USB-C 10,000mah battery for anything longer. That lasts for *hours*, but if you accidentally pull the cable out you're screwed, so I always still have some AA batteries in the machine when doing this as a backup (even Alkaline is OK---they'll give you 20 minutes of backup power to notice a problem with your USB-C cable)/

I keep the Anker battery attached to the Mixpre with 2 rubber bands. Best system I have found by far, and I have a ton of clamps/adapters. You can also use Velcro, which I do sometimes, but I don't love velcro glue on my equipment.

PS Powering the MixPre 10 with USB is amazing---this is the only reason I don't run a MixPre-10 (I really like the USB-powering options on the 6)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com