Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what to do, what to do???  (Read 20365 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re:what to do, what to do???
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2004, 12:31:30 PM »
part of the problem with the mod sbm-1 is alot of folks look at it as a toy, since it does not appear to be a pro tool, like the AD1000.  Honestly, the Mod-SBM-1 holds its own over the AD1000 in my opinion, and quite honestly, even if the improvement is only marginal, the other advantages (size, powering options, ease of use, ability to get it repaired, etc.) beat it hands down.

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2004, 12:42:33 PM »
IMO, sonic characteristics weigh down ergonomics any day. That's just me, though.

Now imagine if this was the Oade board. Right now, there would be about a hundred more post in this thread with about 10 extra anonymous people posting. +T's for keeping it civil yall!

Jason B

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2004, 12:44:50 PM »
show me a vintage neve desk(some of the best built pieces of equipment ever) that never crapped out and needed repair.  

Like that piece of shit Neve Capricorn Digital desk. Blech... What a piece of shit. That thing would break down every week!

-JB

Jason B

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2004, 12:46:45 PM »
IMO, sonic characteristics weigh down ergonomics any day. That's just me, though.

I, 100%, agree with Kevin here. Apogee's are cumbersome to run, but when I get home, it's the quality tape I made with that cumbersome unit I enjoy, not a memory of how light my bag was walking to and from the section.

-JB

Offline Mic D

• Habitual Line Stepper
  • Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2004, 12:57:54 PM »
For real. I think I might have to make some shirts/stickers that say.... "My door stop makes better tapes than your light show." You think people would get it? :)

Jason B

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2004, 01:00:04 PM »
"My door stop makes better tapes than your light show."

HILARIOUS KEVIN! :lol: +T to you!

-JB

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2004, 01:03:03 PM »
dont misquote me here, my opinion stands that the Mod SBM-1 holds its own against the AD1000 sonically any day, and all the other issues are just a bonus.  What I was trying to get across is that I think that quite a few folks judge the SBM-1 on its appearance being toy-like, than the actual sound.  Hell with this being said, maybe we need to do a blind test of the Mod-SBM-1 vs. the AD1k...only problem I see is that there would not be a good way to keep the pre consistent.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2004, 01:04:32 PM »
"My door stop makes better tapes than your light show." You think people would get it? :)

NOT better than my Schoeps MK4/KC5/CMC6 > V3 light-show tapes!!   8)

[ insert here: 26 pissing match posts about who makes the sweetest tapes and why my gear and the recordings I make are better than *everyone's*...oh, wait, this isn't the old Oade board after all  ;) ]
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2004, 01:06:22 PM »
go check the oade archives for some feedback on some ad1000, ad500e, modsbm-1 comps.

if we were just talking ergo's I can understand saying sound wins out, but with the ad1000, ad500 we're talking reliability and serviceability too.

hey, I'm an apogee fan... used one from '99 until just a few weeks ago...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2004, 01:06:34 PM »
Hell with this being said, maybe we need to do a blind test of the Mod-SBM-1 vs. the AD1k...only problem I see is that there would not be a good way to keep the pre consistent.

I'd love to hear a comp like this.  Why wouldn't there be a good way to keep the pre consistent?  Just run V2 > split > AD1000 / modSBM-1.  Can't avoid the AD1000 analog stage anyway, but running the external pre minimizes its impact as best we can.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Jason B

« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2004, 01:07:48 PM »
What I was trying to get across is that I think that quite a few folks judge the SBM-1 on its appearance being toy-like, than the actual sound.  

I totally hear you Nick, and understand your thoughts. I, for one, do not discount the sbm-1 simply by looks, but I can see now how that can be an issue though. I own one, and really like it. I have yet to run mine personally since having it back from Doug, but have run many borrowed units in the past.

Speaking of the mod, isn't it protocal for Doug to send back the parts that were taken out in exchange for the upgraded components? Whenever Paul at ProDig, or anyone else for that matter replaces parts on gear I have sent them, they always send back the replaced parts. Didn't get them from Doug and was just curious.

+T's to yous guys.

-JB
« Last Edit: January 19, 2004, 01:08:36 PM by Jason B »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2004, 01:09:00 PM »
I'd love to hear a comp like this.  Why wouldn't there be a good way to keep the pre consistent?  Just run V2 > split > AD1000 / modSBM-1.  Can't avoid the AD1000 analog stage anyway, but running the external pre minimizes its impact as best we can.

good point...I am game....who has an AD1K and V2 to lend me  ;D

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2004, 01:10:05 PM »
if I can coax JC down from the mountains I'll see if we can use his ad1000 for some comps with my modsbm-1
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline heath

• Laugh it up, Fuzzball...
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • I'm score!!!!!!
    • The Upstream Mend
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2004, 01:41:13 PM »
might be able to ship out my v2 and ad1k for comps...when were you thinking?
And the Sultans... yeah the Sultans play creole

The Upstream Mend

Jason B

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2004, 01:41:56 PM »
might be able to ship out my v2 and ad1k for comps...when were you thinking?

Heath, you are the man. +T

-JB

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com