Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Confused about SBM-1  (Read 3230 times)

Offline Karl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Confused about SBM-1
« on: February 06, 2004, 11:59:52 AM »
I have been doing a lot of reading on the SBM-1, and am confused--does it add any gain to the signal at all?

Right now I am running AT853>batt box>JB3.  The next logical step for me would be to get something like the SBM-1. Reading some info about it leads me to believe it acts as a preamp (which I want) and other info leads me to believe there is no added gain.  ???  I record all types of music, anywhere from a clarinet concert like I recorded last week to indoor drumline shows.  So I need to have a setup that can record quieter songs cleanly, as well as be very portable (sometimes I am on the move while recording).  That's why the SBM-1 is appealing, because it's such a small piece of gear and makes a clean A/D conversion.  But I also need some gain for quiet recordings.

Help please!?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turn JB Up
Re:Confused about SBM-1
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 01:05:22 PM »
there is added gain, but the a/d can brick wall if you run that gain at the extremes, i.e. don't crank it all the way to 10 if you can help it and try not to go below 4. you can also get it modded by the oade brothers to add 6db of additional gain, but this is only recommended to those that do not plan on using an outboard pre.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2004, 01:22:32 PM »
About how much gain?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2004, 01:27:33 PM »
Also, I forgot to mention that I am specifically asking about the stock SBM-1.  An underlying question I have--would I be better off using something like the Denecke AD-20 for things like choir concerts?
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
    • My show list
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2004, 02:04:51 PM »
when running line-in, the SBM-1 (modded or stock) does not exhibit the same brickwalling problems as the Sony DAT decks.  Doug Oade told me this in an email, and I confirmed it at several shows.  I never had a problem with brickwalling, and I've run the SBM-1 down at 2 or 3, and maxed out at 10.

the mod SBM-1 (Doug's line-in mod) disables the mic inputs, and therefore the unit will not provide much gain.  a stock unit should give you enough gain for just about anything.  

Offline Joe w.

• esniper
  • Turn JB Up
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 02:11:41 PM »
I never had a problem with brickwalling, and I've run the SBM-1 down at 2 or 3, and maxed out at 10.

i only ran the sbm without a pre, so i'm not sure if there are the same issues when running a pre. i ran line in from my dpa 4061's and i had to keep an eye on how much i used the sbm gain.
2016 National Champions
five generations with an unlocked door and a loaded burglar alarm

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 03:50:23 PM »
I have been doing a lot of reading on the SBM-1, and am confused--does it add any gain to the signal at all?

If you run the stock unit through the mic-in it does.  I dunno how much exactly but it should be plenty for your purposes.  Others have mentioned brickwalling issues, I can't speak to that but I'd definitely look into it if I were you.  As far as sound goes, I'm biased but I have to believe that it would sound better than the ad-20 would.  Having said that, the stock pre isn't great.  There's actually a mod available for the pre stage as well.

If you're trying to go low-pro, you may want to also consider a Sound Devices MP-2 pre-amp either in conjunction with the SBM-1 or by itself, and use the a/d in the jb3.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 08:19:43 PM »

If you run the stock unit through the mic-in it does.  I dunno how much exactly but it should be plenty for your purposes.  Others have mentioned brickwalling issues, I can't speak to that but I'd definitely look into it if I were you.  As far as sound goes, I'm biased but I have to believe that it would sound better than the ad-20 would.  Having said that, the stock pre isn't great.  There's actually a mod available for the pre stage as well.

If you're trying to go low-pro, you may want to also consider a Sound Devices MP-2 pre-amp either in conjunction with the SBM-1 or by itself, and use the a/d in the jb3.

I agree fully. And even the stock SBM sounds better than the AD-20.

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 09:03:07 PM »
i have never run an sbm-1, but my understanding on how it works is that it adds a fixed amount of gain and the level knob is actually functioning as a resistor, thus removing gain.  not sure how much gain it can add, but it essentially adds the max amount of gain no matter what and then reduces the amount of gain through the resistor.  so ideally, it should be run as open as possible to reduce the noisy aspect of the resistor.

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 09:36:19 PM »
Not that you'd hear the difference... maybe a little!

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2004, 02:16:29 PM »
Thanks for the replies--as soon as I can, I will be looking to pick up a stock SBM-1...
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com