Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 8  (Read 10358 times)

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 8
« Reply #75 on: January 23, 2024, 02:22:25 PM »
I believe you can set it up either way!  I have mined paired 1&2  3&4  4&6 7&8

I've a question on ganging channels-
Can that be done in such a way that the various channels of the ganged group retain their relative levels, even as the levels of all channels in the group are further adjusted in unison (like Tascam DR680), or are identical levels forced across all channels in the ganged group? (Like Zoom F8)
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline grawk

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #76 on: January 23, 2024, 02:27:12 PM »
I've a question on ganging channels-
Can that be done in such a way that the various channels of the ganged group retain their relative levels, even as the levels of all channels in the group are further adjusted in unison (like Tascam DR680), or are identical levels forced across all channels in the ganged group? (Like Zoom F8)

I'd think you'd handle that with gain, the ganging should only affect level.  If I get bored I'll test that on my f6.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sonosax minir82/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #77 on: January 23, 2024, 06:06:39 PM »
Yeah gain trim.  Won't be quite as applicable recording in 32 bit as it is when recording 24bit. Yet still will somewhat because when using mics of varying sensitivities its helpful to set their gain trims differently to compensate and achieve a good baseline level across all channels, then maintain those relative gain differences while adjusting trim of all ganged channels simultaneously with a single knob. 

The second part is not as applicable in 32bit, but the first part still is.  I suppose setting level or "magnification" differently for the various mic channels will achieve the same end result, by retaining the desired relative level difference between channels in the file set.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline mccordo

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Area Man
« Reply #78 on: January 23, 2024, 09:57:06 PM »
Some clarifications to mccordo’s post.
The Mixpre-3ii can only gang inputs one and two. The 6 and 10 allow other channel ganging combinations. There is a shortcut to get straight into the channel 4 and 5 adjustment menus. Press the headphone/select knob and then press either the front panel channel 1 or channel 2 knob.

Thanks for the tip on accessing the channel 4 and 5 adjustment menus. That’ll make life much easier.
Mics: AKG ck63 Hypercards, AKG ck61 Cards, 2x nBob Actives (460B bodies unused), Rode NT6/MJE-384K Roadster (Michael Joly modded Cards), Audix M1280 Hypercards, Audix M1290 Cards, AT853 Cards, Church Audio CA-11 Cards, AT MT830R Omnis
Pres: Grace Design Lunatec V2, Edirol UA-5, Church Audio CA-9200, Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: SoundDevices MixPre-6, SoundDevices MixPre-3, 2x Tascam DR-100mkII, Sony PCM-M10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2024, 04:37:57 AM »
The Mixpre-3ii can only gang inputs one and two. The 6 and 10 allow other channel ganging combinations. There is a shortcut to get straight into the channel 4 and 5 adjustment menus. Press the headphone/select knob and then press either the front panel channel 1 or channel 2 knob. 
A feature that is new in firmware 9.02 is the ability to adjust the gain on the aux inputs separately from the mix level to the mix tracks. Previously, the mix level was fixed, so gain adjustments necessarily affected mix levels. I don’t record my mix tracks (only the iso tracks), so it was never a big issue for me.
I never ever record the mix tracks, but I would love to be able to reduce their level so they don't show peaks on the Wingman app! #distracting
(I am still on 7.16)
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline commongrounder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2024, 01:57:04 PM »
A feature that is new in firmware 9.02 is the ability to adjust the gain on the aux inputs separately from the mix level to the mix tracks. Previously, the mix level was fixed, so gain adjustments necessarily affected mix levels. I don’t record my mix tracks (only the iso tracks), so it was never a big issue for me.
I never ever record the mix tracks, but I would love to be able to reduce their level so they don't show peaks on the Wingman app! #distracting
(I am still on 7.16)

It is easily possible to adjust the mix track levels. In the menu screen navigate to the second window, and then tap “record” (This is where you were able to disarm the mix track recording). There are also two buttons for “Left Gain” and “Right Gain”. These will adjust the mix track overall level. You can reduce the level by as much as -30db, which will make the mix track meters much less distracting. Just remember that if your headphone preset is routed to listen to the mix track output, that level will also change with the mix track level. I have made headphone presets that listen directly to the iso tracks, therefore avoiding this issue.

Offline fobstl

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: January 24, 2024, 02:51:09 PM »
Great tip commongrounder 👆. This is why I love this group!

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2024, 11:20:50 AM »
Ok that will have to be good enough. If I can’t shut it off, at least I can attenuate away the peaks.
Thanks for the tip!
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2024, 11:45:03 AM »
It is easily possible to adjust the mix track levels. In the menu screen navigate to the second window, and then tap “record” (This is where you were able to disarm the mix track recording). There are also two buttons for “Left Gain” and “Right Gain”. These will adjust the mix track overall level. You can reduce the level by as much as -30db, which will make the mix track meters much less distracting. Just remember that if your headphone preset is routed to listen to the mix track output, that level will also change with the mix track level. I have made headphone presets that listen directly to the iso tracks, therefore avoiding this issue.

Yep, I often use the ISO track headphone outputs to listen to my different mics on the drive home
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2024, 03:54:04 PM »
Yep, I often use the ISO track headphone outputs to listen to my different mics on the drive home

Using headclamps headphones like Vic Furth drummer's isolating phones, I listen to the ISOs during shows. I'm usually side or backstage, so don't have as much PA to ignore. Helps me level-match vocals, mostly. I often put all the vocals on 1 of the 2 monitor mixer aux busses I get, and guitar/keys on the other channel. Don't like/use a full multi matrix out, just things to improve presence and add texture/tone to instruments.
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2024, 02:53:47 PM »
My mp6II has an issue that SD has isolated to hardware, wondering if anyone else has seen it.

If I power up with a plug in the aux jack and signal present, the mp6 pegs channels 5 and/or 6. Removing the plug doesn't fix the issue, I have to power cycle.

I'll send it in after current tours are done but wondering if anyone has seen anything like this.

Also, thanks commongrounder, reducing mix tracks gain is super helpful!

Recordings at LMA

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2024, 08:11:18 PM »

Not sure many folks using Mixpres like we typically do here would find this particularly useful but I just found this out. The Korg NanoControl 2 usb midi control surface is plug and play for a lot of features on the Mixpre. I got one for drawing automation in Reaper for multitrack projects and while searching Youtube for videos on how to set it up I came across a vid that shows how it works with the Mixpre10ii.

It's a pretty small device that has 8 faders and knobs each with a dedicated Solo, Mute and Record Arm button for each channel plus a set of transport controls and marker buttons. Upon connecting it to the USB of my v1 Mixpre6 it automatically recognized it and sent it the commands to operate all the features. The faders control gain and the transport, marker and other buttons work as expected. Depending on which recorder you are using and what firmware you can configure the knobs and faders to do different things.

I don't see a lot of tapers using this device since it's not very bag friendly but dang, it never ceases to amaze me how far we've come in such a short time since hauling SLA batts and saving up for a Grace V3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT_-blQ1uoY

https://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/nanokontrol2/

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2024, 08:33:24 PM »
^ Interesting!

How is physical sync between Korg faders and MP faders accomplished? No motors in the mp, so ?

Asking primarily b/c SD engineers cite this issue as the reason that wingman doesn't deal w faders/levels.

Thanks

Recordings at LMA

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2024, 11:00:16 PM »
^ Interesting!
How is physical sync between Korg faders and MP faders accomplished? No motors in the mp, so ?
Asking primarily b/c SD engineers cite this issue as the reason that wingman doesn't deal w faders/levels.
Thanks

The fader knobs on the Mixpre don't move just a change in value on the screen. I have to fool around with it more to see what happens when you use the fader on the control surface to change the gain but then start moving the knobs on the Mixpre. Depends on how you are running it too, probably. Custom mode may do something different than basic, etc.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2024, 07:54:10 AM »
^ Interesting!

Thanks

The MP faders are encoders not potentiometers, so the position does not dictate any "value".

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com