Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ad-20 modded for phantom power?  (Read 6152 times)

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: ad-20 modded for phantom power?
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2004, 02:33:26 AM »
it makes sense but now you've got something bigger than a UA-5 that costs more and doesn't sound as good  :'(
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline peterbilt

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2004, 01:15:39 PM »
it makes sense but now you've got something bigger than a UA-5 that costs more and doesn't sound as good  :'(

I've never actually held a UA 5 so I'm not familiar with the size, how big is it in comparison to an AD20?

I cracked open my AD20 last night, just to have a look see, and it seems that you could build a new box that could hold the electronics of the ad20 and the ps2 and still maintain a relatively small size, even while maintaing the battery supplies. The ps2 runs on 2-9 volts right? i'd really need to see one cracked open, but it sounds like running the outs of the PS2>ins of the Ad20 would be the hardest part.

Would it be a matter of soldering wire between the two units, bypasing the xlr outs of the ps2/ins on the Ad20? I AM electronically illiterate when it comes to these things...just tossing an idea out there.

Would there be voltage issues with wiring the two together? it doesn't seem that there would be, but i'm not sure if the xlr pots act as any sort of voltage buffer between the two.

Anybody?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2004, 02:32:12 PM »

I've never actually held a UA 5 so I'm not familiar with the size, how big is it in comparison to an AD20?

I cracked open my AD20 last night, just to have a look see, and it seems that you could build a new box that could hold the electronics of the ad20 and the ps2 and still maintain a relatively small size, even while maintaing the battery supplies. The ps2 runs on 2-9 volts right? i'd really need to see one cracked open, but it sounds like running the outs of the PS2>ins of the Ad20 would be the hardest part.

Would it be a matter of soldering wire between the two units, bypasing the xlr outs of the ps2/ins on the Ad20? I AM electronically illiterate when it comes to these things...just tossing an idea out there.

Would there be voltage issues with wiring the two together? it doesn't seem that there would be, but i'm not sure if the xlr pots act as any sort of voltage buffer between the two.

Anybody?

I honestly think a UA-5 by itself would be stealthable, but its the power supplies that would make it more difficult, cause you need more than just a +9v battery for it.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2004, 03:07:44 PM »
here they are
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline jk labs

• Taperssection Regular
  • Straight wire!
    • Mics, pre and ADC...
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2004, 04:48:07 PM »

Anybody?

It's not that tricky. Make sure the PS-2 output is AC coupled (capacitor-coupled) and that the DC level
on the output itself is zero or a few mV at most.   

If go, take the signal out somewhere downstream of the DC blocks inside the PS-2
and wire to the soldercups on the XLRs residing within the AD-20....
« Last Edit: September 13, 2004, 09:21:53 PM by jk labs »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com