Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: why do you normalize your recordings?  (Read 8069 times)

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • think for yourself, question authority
    • My Recordings on the LMA
why do you normalize your recordings?
« on: April 29, 2011, 12:10:33 AM »
SSIA,

Trying to figure out if I should normalize by recordings or not...
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)
pres: Oade T+ UA-5; digimod UA-5
recs: R-09x3

iso: 2 ck93 caps
iso: pair of AT4041 mics

Official Archivist for Grant Farm

http://www.facebook.com/kindrecordingscolorado

Jerry Joseph rap during 'Conscious Contact'
"Life's pretty good. life's pretty good. it isn't all good.
I hate it when people tell me its all good. it's not all good.
it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
Re: why do you normalize your recordings?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 01:29:01 AM »
It might be a good idea for people to also specify which type of normalization they are using and why. (i.e. RMS vs. Peak)

I use peak normalization. Most of the time I don't want to pay close attention to my levels so I set it conservatively and forget it. I don't like to ride the levels during the show. Since I'm recording in 24 bit and setting levels low I normalize to get essentially what I would have got if I'd run the levels to peak exactly at 0dB (running this way eliminates the risk of clipping and gets you the loudest possible levels while preserving the dynamics of the recording).

The only situation this doesn't work as well is if there is that one or two times the drummer (or anyone really...but usually the drummer) hits really hard and you get a peak around -1dB and the rest of the show is peaking between -12dB to -6db. Peak normalizing in this situation only will give a 1db increase across the board. In these situations I will use some compression (but that is a whole other issue).
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 01:30:36 AM by ashevillain »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:27:07 AM »
It might be a good idea for people to also specify which type of normalization they are using and why. (i.e. RMS vs. Peak)

I use peak normalization. Most of the time I don't want to pay close attention to my levels so I set it conservatively and forget it. I don't like to ride the levels during the show. Since I'm recording in 24 bit and setting levels low I normalize to get essentially what I would have got if I'd run the levels to peak exactly at 0dB (running this way eliminates the risk of clipping and gets you the loudest possible levels while preserving the dynamics of the recording).

The only situation this doesn't work as well is if there is that one or two times the drummer (or anyone really...but usually the drummer) hits really hard and you get a peak around -1dB and the rest of the show is peaking between -12dB to -6db. Peak normalizing in this situation only will give a 1db increase across the board. In these situations I will use some compression (but that is a whole other issue).

Good answer on how, but maybe not why???  Why not just turn up the gain on your playback???  Essentially, all you are doing is turning up the volume, right???

Not picking, but I'm curious if there are other reasons...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline rjp

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:48:33 AM »
Why not just turn up the gain on your playback???

Sometimes, the playback system has a limited amount of gain available...
Mics: AKG Perception 170, Naiant X-X, Sound Professionals SP-TFB-2
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox
Recorders: Olympus LS-10
Interfaces: Focusrite Saffire Pro 14, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 08:48:50 AM »
More convenient playback, but also I record 24 bit with conservative levels but releaee 16 bit, so I peak normalize before dithering to take maximum advantage of 16 bit dynamic range.

Although admittedly there probably is not 90 dB+ of SNR on most of my recordings...but got to get that venue noise floor just right.   :laugh:
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 08:57:08 AM by Will_S »

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 09:09:18 AM »

Sure, but that could be addressed with better playback...

Other than the practical convenience of not having to turn your playback volume up, is there any reason to Normalize??? 

For me,  I don't bother.  I record at a volume that is loud enough for my listening/playback, and I don't really want to take the extra time in processing in the PC if I don't have to.   

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 09:16:37 AM »
I record in 24 bit and run the levels conservatively.  There's always applause or other localized noise that makes the peaks a bit hot.  So I hard limit those down a bit and add gain to the whole.  I'm not sure which type that is, I try to avoid audacity's normalize function as it goes to the peak of each L+R channels separately.  Resulting in mismatched levels on most of my captures.  So I use the amplify function instead, after taming the peaks with the limiter beforehand.  But my current preamps have stepped gain.  And with 8+-ish dB difference between steps, I can't always get it where I want it at the point of capture.  And I generally have to play it safe because of all of the unknowns.  I don't engage the limiter on my capture devices either.  Probably more of a battery life thing than any sort of real concerns as to why.  I just don't, I guess I don't trust them.  Those pesky content changing limiters.  But I also don't record monolithic volume wise rock concerts either.  My situations tend to have a much wider and much less predictable dynamic range.  Where my mics hear better than I do from roughly the same location, even if I have to add 10+dB after the fact.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »

I understand what you're getting at but there are 2 other factors that come into play.

First is the cost factor...yeah I'd like to upgrade the playback systems in my apartment, in my car, better portable playback for walking around and in my boat and vacation house (actually I'd love to even have a boat and vacation house at all!  :P ) My point is that upgrading this stuff isn't cheap. While it would be nice to never worry about normalizing it's something I do because otherwise I have to crank the volume higher than I want to (and induce more noise).

Second issue is uniformity....theoretically I could leave the volume knob set on each piece of gear and listen to various different shows and never adjust the volume because the levels will be fairly close. In reality this doesn't work exactly mostly because I listen to more studio recordings than live recordings. But at least I know about where to start with the volume knob for live shows vs. studio recordings.

You are right though, it could be addressed with more gain on the playback side. I look at normalizing like adding the cleanest and most uncolored possible gain to a recording. Hopefully my logic here makes some sense.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:51:29 AM by ashevillain »

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 07:55:10 AM »

Other than the practical convenience of not having to turn your playback volume up, is there any reason to Normalize??? 

For me,  I don't bother.  I record at a volume that is loud enough for my listening/playback, and I don't really want to take the extra time in processing in the PC if I don't have to.    

Terry

This is what I currently do...

I can't really tell the difference between normalize a recording vs adding gain or riding your levels to get as close as possible to the 0db
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 08:00:36 AM by deadheadcorey »
mics: Audix M1245a-HC; AKG SE300B/CK91; Naiant X-O (hanging in the sweet spot @ Quixote's True Blue)

it's not suppose to be all good. it's suppose to be bad sometimes so you can enjoy the good parts."

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 02:33:22 PM »
I can't really tell the difference between normalize a recording vs adding gain or riding your levels to get as close as possible to the 0db

Theoretically there should be no difference at all. However some preamps (such as the SD MP-2) color the signal differently as the gain increases. This is another reason why normalizing could be beneficial. A lot of people don't like the sound of the MP-2 at high gain because it tends to get a little flabby in the bass dept. Run the MP-2 low and add gain by normalizing and I end up with the same levels but not the coloration that I'm trying to avoid.

Plus it takes 5 min to normalize vs. constantly checking my rig during the show.

Forgive me if it sounds like I'm trying to convince you to run conservative levels and normalize. I'm not. It sounds like you are comfortable running the way you have been and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just trying to present as many angles to answer your question as I can.

Offline deadheadcorey

• HOME TEAM Tapir
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2011, 08:05:35 PM »
No worries man. I might try what you do and see what I get! Greatly appricate all advice and like reading what peoples input is!!  ;D :D

Theoretically there should be no difference at all. However some preamps (such as the SD MP-2) color the signal differently as the gain increases. This is another reason why normalizing could be beneficial. A lot of people don't like the sound of the MP-2 at high gain because it tends to get a little flabby in the bass dept. Run the MP-2 low and add gain by normalizing and I end up with the same levels but not the coloration that I'm trying to avoid.

Plus it takes 5 min to normalize vs. constantly checking my rig during the show.

Forgive me if it sounds like I'm trying to convince you to run conservative levels and normalize. I'm not. It sounds like you are comfortable running the way you have been and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm just trying to present as many angles to answer your question as I can.

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 10:51:30 PM »

Ahhh!!!  Thanks, this is the kind of answer I was looking for...  I can see the difference, though I suppose you would (theoretically) have to take into account any subtle change presented by the Normalization process... 

I might try your method and see what kind of results I get...

Thanks!

Terry

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 05:43:39 AM »
Well...  In terms of conversation content, running levels low might truncate (dynamic range) those softer sounds of little consequence.  As long as the speaker always stays above the cutoff threshold.  So in a way a sneaky way to get some noise reduction.  For those few times when you have some control of the content being recorded.  Otherwise a bit risky to do live IMO.  And always an option to do that digitally in post.  Depending on how involved you want to get in the editing and file format wars.  Just lots of ways for subtle improvements.  Some of which involve mixing back in the original audio track as they are mostly destructive edits.

I'm tending to do more and more edits in post these days.  Sampling at 24/192 at the point of capture, applying a low pass filter at 18kHz and THEN resampling to delivery formats.  And other little tricks where adding a little bit of gain is a pretty benign edit in comparison.  And I could see where choosing your gain on the preamp would be more relevant than the correct gain at the point of capture.  I had an Art Tube MP when I first started off, and running that near or past 75% gain was pure hiss.  Staying near or below 50% and adding gain in post was much preferred over running that preamp that hot.

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »
Hai Corey. Do you run 16-bit? That would be a reason to NOT run conservatively.
I run semi hot because I still run 16-bit. Sometimes I still normalize using soundforge 8 peak normalize.
16 bit is a little more tricky but I still love it, and love my results.

When I run 24 bit I still run hot just out of habit.
Also how long does it take you guys to normalize? Terry?
It's not like it's a huge processing step IMO. Also I understand Ashevillian in that adding gain on playback, depending on what playback you're running,
would add more noise than normalizing in 24-bit??
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline georgeh

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2011, 10:18:31 AM »
I try to set gain levels where i don't need to use normalize, but when recording quieter acoustic/bluegrass i end up setting levels lower for crowd noise. then bring down  the crowd and normalize the rest. I use WaveLab 6 stock normalizer
microtech gefell sms 2000, MG 21 & 20 & 27 caps >
M148 (with new ext battery) > acm P2 (2 of them)
Nbob active cables / PFA, Nbox Platinum

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.086 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com