Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: taping with XP home?  (Read 9708 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
taping with XP home?
« on: August 02, 2004, 05:57:49 PM »
i am supposed to get the new lappy in today... i bought it from MTerry, and it comes with xp home standard... should i use a program to delete everything from the hard drive and do a fresh install of 2kpro...

ive never had much experience with xp home untill i got my new home pc a few weeks ago. mark said he used it just fine for 24/48 via usb... il be doing 24/96 via firewire

so whats everyone think?

radioboy1977

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: taping with XP home?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 06:02:47 PM »
i've been using XP home on my lappy for over a year now and never had any problems with it.  i do suggest deleting any programs you won't use, though.  other than that, you should be in good shape ;D

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 06:16:04 PM »
right on, i just have never used XP untill lately on my home pc,a nd didnt know.... thats a plus.

and i will be deleting everything i wont use, and probably some of the stuff i might use but dont need!

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 06:43:01 PM »
Careful, though -- all that makes xp "pretty" also makes it a resource hog -- see this thread for info on optimizing xp for audio --

http://www.oade.com/Tapers_Section/Forum/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=100&topic_id=1091&mesg_id=1093&page=

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 07:01:49 PM »
the last time i followed a OS customization for audio recording from the oade board, it totally fucked everything on my pc, i followed it step by step and ended up having to do a full factory restore to get rid of the shit!

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 07:02:57 PM »
ahh, it is a link to another website that is specifically for pro audio on XP. that makes me feeo sooo much better... thanks

http://www.musicxp.net/

Offline hzgone

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 07:24:09 PM »
I have been running xp pro without doing the audio ops.  But i did get rid of all the pretty stuff in xp and it has been running great.  I think as strong as 2kpro.  Good luck hope you don't run into any probs
http://db.etree.org/hzgone
http://dead.no-ip.info

AKG 391's>MiAGi-II Silver Cables>V3>VX Pocket V2>Fujitsu 2110

on hiatus, semi retired, injured reserve, got hitched, had 2 kids, broke as hell, & my life is over patcher stage of life...

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 09:01:57 PM »
i knew xp pro was stable, i just didnt know about xp home

im gonna have a few days to tweak, and then a few more days to test. so il have time either way i decide to go

im gonna try the page i put the link up to and see what happens. il have time to test it out at home before the 2 shows i have this weekend

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 09:45:40 PM »
zero the drive and put pro on..I am using pro now for taping, easy as pie and very stable.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 09:54:21 PM »
that means i have to go buy pro, i have cash but im saving it for something special

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2004, 10:25:25 PM »
buy?  ;)
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2004, 11:00:09 PM »
ive never been able to get a "demo" xp pro to work, i tryed it a bunch of times with different installs and serials and i never could get past registering it and having it lock up @ 30 days

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2004, 02:44:34 PM »
youre just not doing it right. call microsoft and tell them you installed a new hd and need to get activated. the foriegn guy will then ask you if yhis is the only computer you have xp on. you say yessir. he then asks you what the 25 digit on the activation screen of your computer says. he then gives you a key. it is simple and i do it at work all the time. please dont tell. ;)
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 04:30:25 PM »
ive done that before... i actually bought xp pro, installed it on a laptop.. called and told them i took it off and wanted to use it on my desktop.... they made my old serial work again.... and i actually took it off the desktop and sold that...

so i do have a full install disc...

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2004, 06:14:48 AM »
xp home sucks... we will see if xp pro can pull through for me

random pops/clicks in my shows this weekend...

could be too low of buffer in wavelab, or using 2 partitions, or just XP home itself didnt like 24/96...

totally wiped the Hs and layed down a fresh xp pro tonight, tweak it out this week and we will see

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2004, 11:21:49 AM »
try fresh pro, make sure you have SP1 also, I needed it to do 24/96 using goldwave
In Tyler we Trust

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2004, 06:30:52 PM »
thats what i did.... i used the duke& nuke or whatever it is called to completely wipe the HD. and then did a fresh install of xp with the actual install discs i had bought in the past

it had been registered & activated before, but it isnt actually on any other pc, and i sold the only pc it had ever been on... but they let me register & activate it :D

allready got SP1 ;)

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2004, 06:33:45 PM »
and watch out for SP2.....looks like, but they still have bugs to work out.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2004, 07:44:56 PM »
i saw that, the little message popped up about auto-updates telling me to set it sto auto update so i can get sp2

il probably wait for the bugs to get worked out on sp2... i only use the lappy for taping and a small amount of anything else untill i get wireless in the house inh the next month or so

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2004, 11:03:12 PM »
most of the SP2 stuff is security related. I do a real minimal install for my taping lappie, no networking, nothing. Though it has some nice features built in, its not really needed for taping...unless you use the lappie for other things also.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2004, 11:42:22 PM »
recently ive been using mine a bit at work, just for personal reasons... not for actual work

they have me blocked from downloading anything and actually using it or playing games and such on the pc... so i just bring the lappy

ive been doing all my editing on my lappy at work too... its nice to get paid to get my shows out!

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2004, 06:36:39 PM »
recently ive been using mine a bit at work, just for personal reasons... not for actual work

they have me blocked from downloading anything and actually using it or playing games and such on the pc... so i just bring the lappy

ive been doing all my editing on my lappy at work too... its nice to get paid to get my shows out!

nice work.....will have to try that some day ;D
In Tyler we Trust

silverbullet

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2004, 04:38:34 PM »
Here's another link to help optimize Win XP. Good check off list from MicSupply.com

I haven't gone through it yet but there looks to be some good stuff in there. No problems yet to report 24/96 or 16/44.1 recording on my home Win XP SP1 VAIO 1.5 centrino 512 RAM 80 gig HD, 2 partition lappie. Knock on wood.  8)

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2004, 09:40:38 PM »
i had some random pops/clicks with xp home optimized for taping. but a fresh install of XP Pro W/OUT  2 partitions liek my xp home install had, and it is rock solid at 24/96 after 5-6 hours of testing so far. i plan on doing another 4-6 hours of testing tonight again

il def check out that link and see if there is anythign different or that isnt in the other xp customization

im using a pentium3- 850mhz 256ram and 20gig HD

ram and hard drive upgrades are in the very near future for me, definantly the ram.....

silverbullet

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2004, 05:42:35 AM »
I really want to format and just have one partition but I have a really important 2.5 hr recording to do this Friday. I'll do a backup DAT and JB3 recording. If there are no clicks in the 24/96 lappie recording then I'll just stick with my two partition HD. Maybe the extra RAM was all that was needed.

I went through that Win XP optimization list. Took a few minutes but well worth the time spent. I think I was able do all but two of the things on that check list.

Next show is oustide at the oceanfront. It better not rain. No rain. No rain.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2004, 05:45:01 AM »
yeahm same here with being able to do all but 1 or 2. i think all but 2

i tryed it with xp home first,a nd figured those 2 only worked in xp pro, but when i did it with Pro it didnt work either, it just didnt have that option to do what it said

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2004, 09:06:06 PM »
i had some random pops/clicks with xp home optimized for taping. but a fresh install of XP Pro W/OUT  2 partitions liek my xp home install had, and it is rock solid at 24/96 after 5-6 hours of testing so far. i plan on doing another 4-6 hours of testing tonight again

il def check out that link and see if there is anythign different or that isnt in the other xp customization

im using a pentium3- 850mhz 256ram and 20gig HD

ram and hard drive upgrades are in the very near future for me, definantly the ram.....
good to hear, have yet to have an issue with xp pro and recordings, rock solid, no crashy, crashy...will check out that link also
In Tyler we Trust

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2004, 09:59:12 PM »
that link is the same as musicxp.net also, same info it even says it is the same

xp pro is rock solid it seems for me. more testing tonight and then i wont ahve any more tiem to test untill umphreys friday

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2004, 10:28:31 PM »
good luck on friday....not having to transfer the DAT is such a pleasure.
In Tyler we Trust

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2004, 11:00:46 PM »
it IS! i havent had a deck for quite some time. usually get the shows tracked/flac'd in the hotel after shows and can just burn when i get home...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2004, 10:10:04 PM »
I am digging the 24bit for sure....the resolution you get with it is incredible...This Railroal Earth recording I did with the TL's split 3ft.set on omni, V3 then lappie at 24/96 is one of the sweetest recordings I have done (the super tight bass it picks up for the sub is incredible)...now that I have my Pc rigged for 24bit playback into my nice stereo I can really enjoy it, playing the 24bit flacs straight from dvd via winanp out to the stereo via the firewire audiophile works nice.
In Tyler we Trust

silverbullet

« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2004, 06:00:37 AM »
Your V3 goes strainght into your lappie? No USB or firewire connection? If so, what digital input/soundcard are you using on your lappie?

My lappie's internal battery runs only 2 hrs as I found out yesterday  :P The external jack needs 19.5 volts on my Vaio. What are my options to extend battery life to 3 hrs without having to change batteries. I need to record nonstop.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2004, 06:48:13 AM »
he is using the m-audio audiophile

i think there are some 19v options on the universal laptop battery page at batteryspace.com

silverbullet

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2004, 08:54:29 AM »
Yeah, I bought one of those 19v batteries yesterday from them. Should arrive airmail today (I hope) shipping cost same as battery cost, my own damn fault for waiting. Curious if it can extend my run time by at least half an hour.

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2004, 10:58:02 AM »
does your vio have a secondary battery bay? I can hold 2 bats in my lappie, with the centrino processor I can get close to 6 hours of recording on the 2 bats.

I am using the firewire audiophile my m-audio between my lappie and the V3...wish I could just go straight V3 into the lappie..need a damn spdif input.
In Tyler we Trust

silverbullet

« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2004, 04:29:23 PM »
I just purchased the Series A VGN A150 model. It's a 15.4" screener. Pretty large for most people but I usually taped in places were I can makes several trips back and forth and have my own set up area. The larger screen is pretty cool to run band videos and help support the bands.

I don't think the A150 model has an extra battery bay on the bottom. Worth double checking though. When I double tap on the battery icon is shows options for displaying two batteries. So, I hope I am wrong and can fit another battery in somewhere. That would be great. My lappie is locked up in my bedroom now. Can't check. Long story. :P I'll blame it on my wife and kids if I could.

Offline mirth

• Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2004, 04:57:07 PM »
It doesn't look like your VGN-A150 supports extra batteries. You can buy spares but then you will need to swap them out, which usually means shutting down.

I don't know how you have your power options set, but you could likely squeeze some extra runtime out of the machine by allowing it to turn down the backlight and throttle down the CPU when on battery power.....
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2004, 06:53:13 PM »
I am using a gateway 450XL, they make a modular battery that fits in the dvd drive bay, works well
In Tyler we Trust

silverbullet

« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2004, 08:45:02 PM »
The sony vaio vgn-a150 does not have an extra battery bay.

BEWARE: Don't use the batteryspace.com 19.2 volt battery pack with this unit. I think I fried my computer. It wouldn't power back on. I just got back from circuit city where they did a full exchange since I just bought it about a week ago. Little do they know. I got some extra software bundle and an extra $150 rebate so somehow I made out with a fried computer but it was still aggravating. I have to recharge a new battery, reinstall software and drivers, maximize XP again and tape a show at the oceanfront tommorrow night.

Good think I burned those live cds right after the gigs last weekend. Everything was lost on the fried lappie.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2004, 11:06:57 PM »
The sony vaio vgn-a150 does not have an extra battery bay.

BEWARE: Don't use the batteryspace.com 19.2 volt battery pack with this unit. I think I fried my computer. It wouldn't power back on. I just got back from circuit city where they did a full exchange since I just bought it about a week ago. Little do they know. I got some extra software bundle and an extra $150 rebate so somehow I made out with a fried computer but it was still aggravating. I have to recharge a new battery, reinstall software and drivers, maximize XP again and tape a show at the oceanfront tommorrow night.

Good think I burned those live cds right after the gigs last weekend. Everything was lost on the fried lappie.

did you make sure the polarity was correct for your specific laptop.... 99% of the time they are all the same.... but sometimes (for instance the UA5) thay are backwards

you got REALLY lucky on getting a new one, beat the system there

silverbullet

« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2004, 04:22:24 AM »
No I didn't check the polarity like an idiot. I usually do check those things like I did with my V3 battery.  I didn't check it mainly because I had luck with the V3, figured the center would be positive like my other batteryspace.com battery, and I don't think they have pins to reverse the polartiy so I didn't want to find out that I would have to splice and soder again.

I'll check the Sony polarity when I get home and report.

Yes, I've been lucky lately to a degree. Got free ADK EA1 shock mounts and I some how made an extra $150 with a fried computer and $250 free in a new software bundle which I probably won't even use. More importantly, I didn't fry my computer during or just before a show recording. That would have really blown. Well, it's 4:30am and I'm making my recovery discs now and will reinstall everything again. Go home to test it all, pack up and then hit the beach. Going to pull another 26hrs+ staying awake day.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2004, 06:46:03 AM »
Going to pull another 26hrs+ staying awake day.

everytime i hit a show it is like that, i work nights so i get up at 5pm and stay up all night and then drive to the show when i get off work, and stay at the show till 1-2am

fun fun living 3-4 hours from ANY venue

silverbullet

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2004, 09:57:48 AM »
I think you may have it worse than me. I get up at midnight for my job and leave work around 8am now. Get home, nap if possible, pack and hit the show. The DC shows takes me a good 3hrs to drive to.

My lappie replacement is up and running. My next lappie (backup) will be smaller and have two battery bays. I tweaked the centrino settings and it looks like I might pull off 3hrs instead of 2 hrs. I don't have time to test it. Well see how tonight goes.

Sony does have an extended battery. I'll probably get that and that should cover my needs.

Offline mirth

« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2004, 11:09:52 AM »
yeah, I'd definitely tweak down those power management settings.... When you're just recording there's no need to have the backlight on all the way and cpu running full tilt.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

silverbullet

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2004, 12:23:51 PM »
Yup, I even close the lappie lid during recording now to turn the screen off when running just on battery power. So I plan to tonight. I have the lapppie set on vaio optimized which was the default setting. I'm using WaveLab 5 and was wondering if just using CDWave would conserve even more battery power.

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2004, 12:30:14 PM »
i dont know

open the windows task manager (alt+cont+ delete) and see how much pc percentage the wavelab combo is using and test it with cdwave

but with cd wave you cant choose the sample rate can you? dont you HAVE to choose it in your software witht he 410? or its it set automatically by feeding it a digi signal? i have never used it just to take in a digi signal

i do have it pretty bad for shows. i managed 4 hours of sleep this morning, and am packing to leave now for a 3-3.5 hr drive to see umphreys...  oh well thats the price i pay... but i do have 4 days off to recover ;)

Offline mirth

« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2004, 01:22:06 PM »
You can select the input sample rate in CDWave, but I have no idea how it interacts with the 410... I've only used it w/my UA-5 which is hard set on the pre....

silverbullet

« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2004, 01:57:59 PM »
You can choose your sample rate and bit rate with CDWave. I've even recorded with CDWave and WaveLab at the same time. Wavelab with 410 and CDWave with the mic input (which sucks b/c I don't have a line input unless it's that pink 1/8" plug in the very back) CPU usage was only around 28% when using both but not sure individually. Worth checking out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.17 seconds with 76 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com