Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Poll

Which preamp sounds better to you?

I prefer preamp 1
8 (42.1%)
I prefer preamp 2
10 (52.6%)
I can't tell the difference
0 (0%)
I like them both equally
1 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Naiant Tinyhead vs. CA-Ugly (new samples)  (Read 35937 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Naiant Tinyhead vs. CA-Ugly
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »
I feel that most of the sweetness comes from good mics. Good preamps should just amplify that.

Amen to that when talking about this categroy of relatively simple IC based transformerless preamps where the ideal is simply clean gain with appropriate bandwidth and low noise.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »
I would think they both measure flat in the audio band as a practical matter...

Thanks for the technical run down on that, Jon.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »
Guys, can we stay on the topic of Tinyhead vs. Ugly.

fine..
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:59:17 AM by hi and lo »

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2013, 12:02:10 AM »
^^

Guys, can we stay on the topic of Tinyhead vs. Ugly.   :)  You've both made your points and I'm pretty sure neither are going to change them so I'm going to interject before we start going in circles.

An interesting poll for its own thread, however, would be whether comps like this are valid or not.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 12:04:13 AM by achalsey »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2013, 12:43:48 AM »
A true test would be to run on a stand, as vertical as possible to one another and have the exact same chain minus the preamp. But I love comps just the way they are
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline achalsey

• Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2013, 12:44:11 AM »
Usually comps have some value.  The trick here is the difference is larger than what should be expected so it doesn't necessarily have good predictive value for others.  At a minimum there would need to be more tests, ideally with better controls.  For example, a test with stand-mounted coincident mics should limit the expected difference to the frequency indicated by the distance between the caps.  That should be above 10kHz.  Then you switch pairs of mics at a break.  Any other difference observed should be attributable to some physical characteristic of the mic/preamp system.

Fair enough.  Maybe a disclaimer, but not the whole discussion in this thread.  I believe Bryon is going to do another outing and get more samples to post before revealing the answers as well.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »
Usually comps have some value.  The trick here is the difference is larger than what should be expected so it doesn't necessarily have good predictive value for others.  At a minimum there would need to be more tests, ideally with better controls.  For example, a test with stand-mounted coincident mics should limit the expected difference to the frequency indicated by the distance between the caps.  That should be above 10kHz.  Then you switch pairs of mics at a break.  Any other difference observed should be attributable to some physical characteristic of the mic/preamp system.

Fair enough.  Maybe a disclaimer, but not the whole discussion in this thread.  I believe Bryon is going to do another outing and get more samples to post before revealing the answers as well.

I believe BSos said enough when he described his process...  He stated right up front that this was pretty informal...

And I think there is value, even in comps like this.  We get a feel for how each functions in the setting as described by Bryon.  It may not be scientific/accurate/whatever, but I think we can all make educated estimates here...

That being said, more comps wouldn't hurt...   ;D

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
I think both are quite different and I can't really determine which I prefer with my earbuds at work.

As for microphone comps, is there an ideal instrument to record or should a verse be sang A cappella style?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2013, 08:38:35 PM »
Hey, dudes, take it easy... It's a simple comparison, which one do you prefer and why, that's all folks. No one is going to stop buying CA / Naiant preamps only because one of them gets 3 times more votes than the other, right? Take it easy. Music recording is a part of our appreciation of the music itself, which is an Art, and therefore subjective, and all opinions are equally valid. Take it easy, enjoy the discussion, enjoy the music. Peace. I might have drunk a little, but I stand by everything I've writteN! :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

Offline jagraham

• Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2013, 09:01:43 PM »
???

Was a post from earlier deleted?  I checked earlier and there was something about #2 being done the exact correct way but I cant find it now... Im confused.   
Mics: Nak CM-300s, Nak CM-100s, CP-1s, CP-2s, AT-853s(Cards, Hypers, Omnis) CA-14s(Cards, Omnis)
Pres: CA STC-9200, CA-UBB
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D, DR-2D, Edirol R-09

ISO: 1 Teac ME-120, CP-3 Caps, AT-853 Subcard Caps

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
???

Was a post from earlier deleted?  I checked earlier and there was something about #2 being done the exact correct way but I cant find it now... Im confused.

Yeah, it was a post from Church...  He was laughing that if it turned out #2 was the Ugly, he views the Comp as just fine...  It was in good humor I thought, but I can see why he would delete it...  :P

I don't really think it makes much of a difference, honestly.  I think both samples sounded great and I would be happy with either preamp...  It's like comparing Toyotas to Hondas...  Damn fine cars, but each has its own flavor... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2013, 10:51:56 PM »
So when do we find out which is which?
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2013, 12:20:16 AM »
Toyotas and Hondas both suck, but then so does every car I've ever owned, so . . .

There is a difference between a "damn fine car" and a "damn fine automobile"...  Ts and Hs are DFCs...  A Bugatti Veyron is a DFA...

I think we agree...

Terry

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2013, 03:23:26 AM »

I'm going to open tape UM tonight and post some new samples. I'll do the reveal a couple days later.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline LikeASong

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • U2start.com
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2013, 03:28:59 AM »

I'm going to open tape UM tonight and post some new samples. I'll do the reveal a couple days later.

Is there an option (aka splitting the mics' signal into 2 recorders or a 4 channel recorder) to record the exact same portions of songs simultaneously in order to make the comparison, instead of unplugging one amp and plugging the other one a couple of seconds later? It's obviously easier & fairer to compare them that way, although I suppose (and understand) you want to avoid the hassle :)
The worst things in the world are justified by belief.
-U2

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music.
-Aldous Huxley

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.275 seconds with 47 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com