Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: D-8 Question  (Read 1953 times)

Offline Since85

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
D-8 Question
« on: November 04, 2005, 01:46:52 AM »
Hey all,

I have 2 recent recordings on my Sony D-8 that have a couple of digital skips on them (only about 5 seconds on a two hour recording). I did use a 3 hour tape. I know 3 hour tapes are not recommended, but they have worked perfectly for a long time. Now, I have 2 mission critical recordings coming up, and I am a bit nervous. Would any of the following help:

1.  Extra time with a head cleaner tape
2.  FF and rewind tape before using it

Any other sugestions, besides use a two hour tape? Thanks for the help!

Offline nickee

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: D-8 Question
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 02:27:55 AM »
My D8 have had a tape jam once or twice probably due to 90m tapes, never heard any diginoize ever and Ive do rarely use the cleaning tape.

Tape jam is the main reason not the use 90m IIRC. ALL tapes should be FF and rewinded before use. It is probably a good idea to load the tape as late as possible. It is not advised to transport the deck with a tape loaded (probably why my tape got stuck). Note that the D8 may often just report that the recording is moving along fine despite that it is stuck, I had a few back up tapes with and could easily have saved the day if i had known what it was up to.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
Re: D-8 Question
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2005, 12:56:50 PM »
Using 90m's won't cause diginoise in and of themselves. If you're getting dropouts, that's a sign that you might have a tension problem, but diginoise is caused by bad/dirty heads or bad/flaky tape. I'd run a cleaner but don't overdo it.

I've been using 90m's in my D8 for eight years, and haven't ff/rw a tape before recording in probably four or five years to avoid wearing down the motor. In all that time, it's been in for a cleaning/tuneup exactly once, about two years ago.
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com