Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Can you recommend a portable 32bit-recorder??  (Read 4155 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Can you recommend a portable 32bit-recorder??
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2022, 08:47:45 PM »
The Zoom F6 got to be the most attractive value/quality proposition that fits your requirements. The Mixpre will be a little more luxurious in feel and interface but unlikely in sound quality.

+1
While I obviously own an F6, I have used an MixPre-II 6 and find no difference in sound quality at all.

One advantage the Zoom F6 has over the MixPre-II is in compact external powering. Both can use NP-F style camera batteries, but the MixPre-II requires an separate adapter sled which puts the batteries at an odd angle. Most people here seem to prefer USB-C packs, but the MPII can be rather finicky about USB-C powering, as indicated by the long thread here about it. The F6 can run off NP-F style batteries without an adapter, and I use these which run the F6 powering 6 mics with phantom for a LONG time.

This isn't true if you use the newer L mount sled!  Also, you can buy a Hirose sled for the Mixpre 6.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1552857-REG/sound_devices_mx_lm1_l_mount_battery_sled_f_mizpre.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0vfyodjG-QIVJxTUAR3Aog5OEAQYAyABEgIDs_D_BwE

https://www.adorama.com/ctmxps.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI0vfyodjG-QIVJxTUAR3Aog5OEAQYAiABEgKFJ_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&utm_source=adl-gbase-p

I'm glad to see they improved the original design. It's a shame it costs so much. I can't understand why SD didn't just have the L-mount built into the back of the recorder itself like the 6, 7, and 8-series.

I also can't understand why Zoom didn't make the newer version of the F8 have an L-mount like the F6 does. They could have put the TC BNCs on one of the side panels.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline checht

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Let's meet at alternate foods at the break
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2022, 09:11:30 PM »
[snip]
I can't understand why SD didn't just have the L-mount built into the back of the recorder itself like the 6, 7, and 8-series.
[/snip]
To accommodate diverse use cases? I've happily used usbc power banks w 4AA sled backup since I first got a mp-3 I, no inclination/need to do anything else. Anker and Mophie batts work 100% of the time and are inexpensive. Once one understands the power requirements, it's not difficult to select a bank that works. Also use a $14 Anker 20W charger (Nano Pro) with AA backup when I have ac.

For me, usbc powering has been dependable, fast, small/light, easy.

Different strokes...
Schoeps MK41 x 2, MK22 x 2; Vanguard V1s matched pair; Niaint x8
Schoeps kcy5, nbob actives
Naiant PFA 60v, PFA 48v, IPA
Sound Devices MP-6II; Sony PCM-A10

Recordings at LMA

Online ol' dirty taper

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I've been riding with the ghost...
    • Ancient Earth
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2022, 10:55:42 PM »
I really enjoy using my MP6 II, the power options have never been a hinderance and I have the L mount adapter, but I prefer using usb c with the 4 or 8 battery adapter as backup, I just loop a right angle cable through the front post a couple times so it wont budge.

That said, recently I picked up a Zoom F3 and the sound quality to my ears is nearly identical to the MixPre. SD units tend to be smoother, but for a run and gun recorder, the f3 is great. I'd imagine other newer Zoom products operate similarly.

Mic : Schoeps MK21 | Microtech Gefell M300 | Beyer MC950 MC930 MC910 CK930 | Line Audio OM1 | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-X Omni | Beyer TG L34C | AT831s
Pre : Aerco MP-2 | Naiant Littlebox
Deck : SD MixPre 10 II | SD MixPre 6 II | Sony PCM-A10 | Zoom F3
Pho/Vid : Sony a58 | Panasonic ZS100 | DJI Osmo Pocket

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.201 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com