Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Few newbie questions (new, general)  (Read 5188 times)

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
Re: Few newbie questions (new ones!)
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 04:38:17 AM »
Clipping = recording too loud, ie over 0dB. It can hapen to the mics (rarely), the pre-amp (sometimes, some of them have an "over" button), and the recorder. This is why you keep an eye on the levels for the first couple of minutes, if you can. Occasional overs (usually drums) can be OK, providing it's not causing distortion.

Brickwalling is similar to above, though I'd use it when the majority of the recording is over 0dB. It very often causes distortion. The Velvet Revolver gig I mentioned above wasn't over, but the mics couldn't handle the sound pressure / levels, and distorted.

Pops are when you have equipment issues, just try not to disturb anything while taping. Moving cables etc can cause this. Sometimes the PA will pop at you - for example when the guitarist changes his guitar, and hasn't muted his gear. In this case you'll have it on the tape, whether you want it or not.

It's possible to reduce volume in post when you have pops, or in the case of hair metal bands, explosions on stage.. >:D

Oh to be young and healthy..try stealth taping when you're about to pass out!

Humbug   
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline sunjan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
Re: Few newbie questions
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2008, 06:31:37 AM »
1. You're wondering about problematic recordings, and how they sound. Just browse DIME and download some stuff, you'll quickly get an understanding what descriptions mean.

Well, I heard many different recordings and I know how it sounds but I don't know how it is named!

Hi again,

What I meant was that you should read the threads in DIME. If the seeder or other posters mention brickwalling, download a sample and listen to it. If they mention a pop or a click at a certain timestamp, download and listen. This is the best way to learn.
Of course, you can search in our own Kickdown Central for particular maligned recordings, but you won't find as many ;-)

Example:
http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72237
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline Chaosu

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Few newbie questions (new ones!)
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2008, 07:33:14 AM »
I were on Manic Street Preachers gig this saturday and noticed that I were looking to the left and right after band (on scene). Ok, standing in second row isn't suitable for taping anyway, but no matter where I'm standning, when someone wants to walk over me I always move to make a place for him and thats no good for my recording, right? (I'm turning 90degrees to the left, or better, 150). It will be noticeable, right? I haven't recorded that show (my gear is incomplete yet), but it's somethink I should keep in mind. I realised that 'human mic stand' is no joke... No more smiling to others : ( My respect for You guys have increased. I hope to get some experience later this week.

PS. Anyone know why there are two same smileys to include in message? (the ones with ? ? ? over head).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 01:08:52 PM by Chaosu »

Offline Chaosu

• Taperssection Regular
Re: Few newbie questions (new, general)
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 02:42:51 PM »
My mics are lost (in post). I tried internal mics of Edirol R-09HR. My local taper told me that recording came out good... but I think that he wanted to be nice : ) I would like to ask You for opinion, got two samples. You will surely understand whats wrong with it. Please tell me how You name it, this effect (I can hardly describe it in my language!). My guess is that was because I was too close to speakers (in fron of them, 30 meters away), but on the other hand it was just too loud sometimes. If there is anything I can do with it (right now I would rate sound quality C) let me know. I use Audacity and only thing I can do with it is record 'what I hear' or cut/copy/paste. If You recommend other program, I'll download it. I belive there are many topic answering my questions, links welcome. If You think it's total crap, ok I am not in a need to publish this, I wanted to try what are internal mics capable of. Thanks in advance for any help.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 03:54:41 PM »
>>>I haven't decided yet if I'll go into taping because it seems to be very expensive

Well there are many aspects to taping and it doesn't mean you have to get the best rig with schopes mics and everything. It could be as little as hanging out with tapers and asking questions and learning from them. If you want a step up from that, it could be a tape recorder using the internal mics. This wouldn't be the most ideal thing but if you don't want to spend a lot of money, it certainly is an option. If you just want to hear recorded concerts, there are plenty to hear over at archive.org and different websites as well. Don't be afraid to search for recorded shows.

Remember, this is just a hobby so only spend as much as your budget allows and be sure and make use of whatever you get.

peace and good luck,
rastasean
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 04:06:36 PM »
OH, i see this post is quite old and the caller already has a recorder.  :o
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Chaosu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
I do, but I still do have question, just read my last post. Thanks for effort anyway.

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2008, 05:07:59 PM »
I do, but I still do have question, just read my last post. Thanks for effort anyway.

I don't think 30m is too close, it's common to aim at the stacks much closer than that.  I am guessing that you probably got distortion due to high SPL (sound pressure level).  I think you mentioned that you also use the AT853 mics from sound pro, which I also have and have had similar distortion at loud concerts.  These mics really need to be either modded with the 'low sensitivity/4.7k/church' mod to allow it to handle high-SPL without distortion, or else using a '3-wire' battery box.  The easier solution is the mod, although it does lower your gain by some 10dB or so, which is fine if you mostly tape loud stuff, and which you can get back with a preamp like the CA 9100. 

edit: I see that you used the internal R-09 mics, so disregard the above.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 05:10:27 PM by su6oxone »

Offline Chaosu

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2008, 06:34:41 PM »
Thanks, more helpful reply than previous one... may be helpful later at least, but if anyone can tell me if this recording can be repaierd in any way I will be thankful : )

PS. Sound pressure was the keyword! I had feeling it's something like that, thanks for naming it!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com