Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Why did my recording fail ?  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Arni99

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Why did my recording fail ?
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 02:09:20 PM »
Seems you overloaded your line-input stage with too much signal from the external preamp.
No matter how you set the leves on the recorder, it will clip anyway in this situation.

1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline Belexes

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 02:59:56 PM »
Seems you overloaded your line-input stage with too much signal from the external preamp.
No matter how you set the leves on the recorder, it will clip anyway in this situation.

I agree. Not sure on the Aerco, but my Church Audio pre has a spiffy led that goes red if I am overloading into the preamp.  If it goes red, I know to back off on the gain of the pre.
Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > HiHo Silver XLR's > Deck TBD

CA-14 (c,o)/MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod)/AT853(4.7k mod)(c,o,h,sc)/CAFS (o)/CA-1 (o) > CA-9100 (V. 4.1)/CA-9200/CA-UBB > Sony PCM-D50/Sony PCM-M10

Offline Dede2002

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 03:07:27 PM »

I agree. Not sure on the Aerco, but my Church Audio pre has a spiffy led that goes red if I am overloading into the preamp.  If it goes red, I know to back off on the gain of the pre.

OK. If that was the problem, how come he had to set his input level at 70 to produce only
-12db to -6db rec level?
Mics..........................SP-CMC-8, HLSC-1 and HLSO-MICRO
BB and Preamps........MM Micro bb / MM Custom Elite bb / Church 9100

Recorders...................Tascam DR-100MKIII, Marantz PMD 620 MKII, Edirol R-09

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 04:00:52 PM »
What I don't understand is why the levels were not showing the overload.

It sounds like you could be over driving the active electronics between the line input and the gain control, and because your levels stay in acceptable range, you are falsely led to think everything is just fine. Unfortunately, you only find out after you get home what happened. I don't understand how you would get this running gain so high on the recorder, meaning the gain from the pre was not too hot to handle. Seems weird, unless you were going mic in instead of line in, as someone else suggested.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline bluntforcetrauma

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://themovementschool.org
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2008, 11:27:22 AM »
From my set ups I have the sonosax pre running shyof 20db and the edriol r-09 set at 7.  Yes only 7.  i used this setting for VAN halen, RUSH, etc.  usually around the 12th row floor.  if your setting your pre at 20db no way should the HR be that high.  AGain i am running the sonosax at 16db and the edirol at 7 and still i get close to clipping.

Offline boyacrobat

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2008, 02:03:37 AM »

setting mic gain to low on ro9 will do nothing for your line in rec levels.
different inputs they are independant from one another.

to surf +20 a pro you must be.
you will become one

g

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 11:20:41 PM »
Last night I tested my new set up. ...
According to my levels I was not peaking at all. ...
My problem was distortion. ...
Any bass at all is just simply distorted. ...
Ideas ? Sugestions ? Thoughts ?

You provide all the evidence necessary to point to mic pre-amp overload as the problem (popularly known as "brickwalling").  When the level controls in your recorder or pre-amp are physically after the gain stage, the gain stage can overload into distortion.  You can reduce it's already distorted output levels so that the meters show a reasonably low level.  They can fool you badly that way.

For 16-bit recording, the solution is to start with the lowest sensitivity switchable gain setting (Low instead of High) and low settings on the variable gain control, then slowly increase levels until you get close to clipping, and then back them off.

For 24-bit recording, you never have to get anywhere near clipping (0 dB) to record with a wide dynamic range -- after all you have more than 120 dB of range and most live concerts have less than 60 dB dynamic range -- so be very conservative.  You can always boost levels later (without adding any noise) in your computer.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

Offline unclelouie

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2008, 04:55:41 PM »
It sounds to me as though the mics can't handle the SPLs.  The "Any bass at all is just simply distorted..." comment makes me think this.

I had a similar issue when stealthing Frampton & Tull this summer.  I did a low sensitivity mod to my homebrew omnis and voila! problem solved.

unclelouie.tapes_at_gmail.com

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2008, 04:58:31 PM »
It sounds to me as though the mics can't handle the SPLs.  The "Any bass at all is just simply distorted..." comment makes me think this.

I had a similar issue when stealthing Frampton & Tull this summer.  I did a low sensitivity mod to my homebrew omnis and voila! problem solved.

Most of the energy at amplified concerts is in the bass -- that's why the problem first manifests there.

If you used an attenuator cable between the mics and the recorder's mic pre-amp input, you likely would have experienced the same relief in distortion.

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.411 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com