Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recomend a rig...thinking recorder w/preamp in one & stereo mic  (Read 6153 times)

Offline BrianPB

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Recomend a rig...thinking recorder w/preamp in one & stereo mic
« on: February 15, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »
Any suggestions for a friend who thinks he may want to make some recording from time to time?

Would want a deck that could recieve a digital patch also.

Trying to keep it simple for this guy.

Does this meet those qualities?

CA-14 cardioids > CA-9100 preamp > R-09HR
« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 09:18:03 PM by BrianPB »

Offline jeromejello

• Team Florida - always brings the heat
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • surly tapir
Re: Recomend a rig...thinking recorder w/preamp in one & stereo mic
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 09:37:06 PM »
Any suggestions for a friend who thinks he may want to make some recording from time to time?

Would want a deck that could recieve a digital patch also.

Trying to keep it simple for this guy.

Does this meet those qualities?

CA-14 cardioids > CA-9100 preamp > R-09HR

nope... r-09hr does not take a digital patch.  otherwise it would be fine to start out with.
open: mbho 603a (ka200n/ka500hn) > SD MP-2 > PCM-M10
stealth: AT853a (o/sc/c/h) > SD MP-2 > ihp120
misc: Earthworks SR77 | Shure VP88

bt & dime

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 09:44:21 PM »

Would want a deck that could receive a digital patch also.

nope... r-09hr does not take a digital patch.  otherwise it would be fine to start out with.

If he's recording from time to time, does it matter if it's a digital patch? (honest question)

Doesn't sound like it's for distribution if they are casually patching or that they are hardcore like some folks here. I've had people patch out of my FR2-LE and it's not digital so it happens.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline BrianPB

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:55:45 PM »
Good point. Digi patch may not be that important.

Can you use the CA mics without the CA pre-amp? Use the pre on the deck?

Thanks

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 10:51:52 PM »
Good point. Digi patch may not be that important.

Can you use the CA mics without the CA pre-amp? Use the pre on the deck?

Thanks

With the R-09HR you can, but I believe you need to get the '2.7k mod' on the CA-11 mics.  I would PM or email Mr Church himself about it when ordering though to get the definitive word.

Offline BrianPB

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2009, 11:45:02 AM »
will do....thanks for the help.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 06:30:03 AM »
Another simple very high performance combo is with either stock PCM-D50 Sony (that does accept a digital patch) or (my favorite) R-09HR with my company's MOD-4 + DSM-6S/(M,L, or EL) model mic.

See these at, and listen to some samples at: http://taperssection.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=dc5cb19c3eae03a2a98a47d2a8b6b290&topic=83254.0;all

MOD-4 described on this page, but cost is $25 less than noted: www.sonicstudios.com/pa_x.htm#mod4
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline BrianPB

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 08:37:33 AM »
I shall check that out thanks.

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 04:46:20 PM »
guysonic's mics are good mics, but you need to be sure you want omnis if you get them. It takes a lot more skill on the part of the recordist to reduce crowd chatter when using omnis, although a number of members here know how to do so and swear by them.

Especially for someone who is relatively new to the game and may not record extremely often, I would think your original suggestion of CA-14 cardioids > CA-9100 preamp > R-09HR (and giving up the digital patch) would be ideal. Both easier to learn how to use and costs less. Chris' stuff is on sale and I think I may have read that he is offering free shipping the rest of February. I love the ST-9100! I prefer it to the smaller CA-UGLY for stealth because it is small enough for my needs and you don't have to change levels 1 channel at a time with a mini-screwdriver.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
GuySonic - Shouldn't you put your products/mods and services in the retail space.   You product pitches disguised as help amount to spam in boards other than Retail Space.

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 05:21:02 PM »
GuySonic - Shouldn't you put your products/mods and services in the retail space.   You product pitches disguised as help amount to spam in boards other than Retail Space.

The OP asked for suggestions.
GuySonic provided one.

It's not spam when it's requested info.

What's the problem?

Don't know why people hammer on him so much...he's provided great info time and time again on the products that many people here use...and developed great mods for those products too.

Offline boojum

« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 05:28:48 PM »
^^^^^ What he said.  For some reason other folks can plug there gear all over the place, and have others do it and it is just fine.  When Guy does it it is not.  I sure would like to know why there is this double standard.
Nov schmoz kapop.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 05:41:22 PM »
^^^^^ What he said.  For some reason other folks can plug there gear all over the place, and have others do it and it is just fine.  When Guy does it it is not.  I sure would like to know why there is this double standard.
Chris Church often posts replies, but for the most part, he does not fluff only his gear.  The other thing (that gets me) is that Guy's gear is quite expensive.  Now, to Guy's credit he does post a lot of valuable info, especially tests of various recorder noise, levels, etc.  I don't know the solution, but I could see fluffing your own gear as turning some people off.

Richard

Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline OFOTD

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (7)
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »
Could it just be that most other vendors DO keep their posts in the Retail Space section.   

If someone else was pushing his/her products in the disguise of help it would be the same reaction.

You guys that are quick to defend should check this out:  http://taperssection.com/index.php/board,22.0.html

Pretty much the majority of our retailers/customizers/modders are there. 

Most of these folks do participate in other boards and threads and rarely if ever when asked advice are pushing their own product unless asked specifically about their products/wares.  Guy Sonic has a reputation for pitching his gear (over priced gear at that) in places other then Retail Space so he opens himself up for criticism. 

Chris Church often posts replies, but for the most part, he does not fluff only his gear. 

Chris is a good example of someone who dispenses good advice without always selling you something.  In fact i'd guess that he has more helpful non-product pitch posts than he has sales posts.   Many others as well.   GuySonic not so much.

In GuySonic's post above it appears that he is suggesting a product only with his mod.  Seems like a product pitch to me.

Offline guysonic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 05:42:38 AM »

Sorry to have to post referrals myself, but most Sonic Studios mic users are reluctant to post their DSM recording experiences because of constant dissing from some members who seem to always be boosting SP, Church, and other similar products, or just have their on agenda to harass those posting up to 25 years of Sonic Studios product experiences for no good/totally unknown reasons. 

So very satisfied DSM mic users have long ago quit sharing on this board, leaving the job to me, and having learned to take the heat, this should not be a problem if done appropriately when members ask for mic suggestions fitting their interests.
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com