Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taping in General  (Read 4293 times)

Offline drivingslow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
Taping in General
« on: January 08, 2004, 03:04:28 PM »
This is not a complaint, but rather a question for better understanding. When I go to a show the first thing I look at is the amount of tapers in the taper section. I've been to shows where there were 20+ mics set up, and then I've been to shows where there was only 1. I recently saw Derek Trucks in Atlanta, and there was a good amount of tapers there. I haven't seen a single listing of that show anywhere-it's not even registered in the etree database. I was just wondering why some people chose to tape and not share.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re:Taping in General
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 03:07:42 PM »
This is not a complaint, but rather a question for better understanding. When I go to a show the first thing I look at is the amount of tapers in the taper section. I've been to shows where there were 20+ mics set up, and then I've been to shows where there was only 1. I recently saw Derek Trucks in Atlanta, and there was a good amount of tapers there. I haven't seen a single listing of that show anywhere-it's not even registered in the etree database. I was just wondering why some people chose to tape and not share.

My stock answer for that is: Because they can.

Unfortunately there are more than a few tapers that do it just for themselves. For the most part you won't find that here at TS.com though.  :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline blguillen

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 03:08:45 PM »
I was just wondering why some people chose to tape and not share.
personal decision not to share, maybe the tape didn't come out good.  when was the show? maybe they haven't had time to convert yet.

all in all, a number of factors can play in.  and in the long run, at least one of the sources is bound to come out.
mk4's > nbox >  laptop
mc012's > ps2 > ad20 > 7 pin > d8
at853's > sp battery box > ad20 > 7 pn > d8

www.nancies.org | Moderator
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree.php | Live Music Archive Admin

Offline Sloan Simpson

• Trade Count: (1)
    • Southern Shelter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2004, 03:55:51 PM »
I know a coupla tapers that still don't have computers. . .

Sloan

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2004, 04:01:54 PM »
Lots of folks don't have their lists at etree or phook too...especially tapers. I've noticed that those sites are used more for trading than for people listing their masters. Some folks don't like to be hassled by people who couldn't even be bothered to come up to them at a show and ask for a copy, make small talk, etc. - they'd rather do it on their own schedule. I think mostly blguillen hit it on the head, though... Most of the time it's not a conscious decision where people say "screw this, I'm not trading with anyone" but either quality concerns or time constraints.

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2004, 04:02:40 PM »
1 of the most well known tapers here in the mid-atlantic area and probably THE most well known DMB taper(Mark Lynn) JUST got a s/pdif connection for his computer this past weekend.

the water's clean and innocent

Offline leegeddy

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2004, 04:46:25 PM »

for me personally, it's the time factor to transfer a DAT to cdr (tracking, slight clean up, etc.).  i've got masters that i taped 9 months ago that i haven't even listened to!!

if someone came up to me at a show and asked for a B/P, no problem....as long as it's on a DAT.  if that person wants it on a cdr.....my standard response is "i honestly don't know when that's going to happen."  

so take it FWIW..... there are only 24 hrs in a day and i'm sure we all have lives outside of taping/trading.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline herrmann2burn

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2004, 05:25:02 PM »
I know for me, i just learned how to use a BT, so before this, i only kicked out copies if 1).you came up and asked me at the show, 2).if it was for a Band that i was on their FanElist...like emule. 3).I traded it out specifically.  otherwise, you would have to wait for others to re-offer.
~rhys
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2004, 05:49:27 PM »
I was one of the tapers at the derek trucks show in atlanta and my reason for not sharing it is because all my transfer stuff is in charleston (where I go to school) but ive already talked to a few folks from the show and plan on spreading my copy when I get it transfered on saturday.  

What were you running?  I was with lee up front running the 483s the first set and the 481 the second
481(3)>722

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2004, 05:52:18 PM »

It takes a good amount of time to get shows up to circulation-quality standards: make sure no glitches, compress, make a txt file, etc...  

Mad props to the BT guys kicking out the Holiday shows so fast....

Peace,
BC

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline Kevin

• Taperssection All-Star
    • Company Website (Learn to play by ear or by I.)
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2004, 05:57:46 PM »

Mad props to the BT guys kicking out the Holiday shows so fast....

Peace,
BC

definately, i need to figure BT out when I have the time
481(3)>722

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2004, 07:13:19 PM »
some times I don't get a show out for 3 months, depends on the priority I hold for the show

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2004, 11:48:36 PM »
i havn't spread many of my source, for one, i don't have a digital connection to transfer, secondly..  kinda busy. and thirdly, usually there are better sources.
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2004, 07:14:08 AM »
I think another answer is that people tape live shows for different reasons as well.  Some people tape to simply practice this craft.  They may be there to simply try an idea.....and the idea may not have worked.

I never consider other sources at a show as being better if I like my tapes.  Chances are if I like it someone else will too. :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2004, 09:28:19 PM »
amen to that..  i know for a fact there were at least 20-30 other sources out there for 10k lakes, and for some reason i was the only one, with my horrible source.. but hey, its a recording of the show, just doesn't sound so well..  they are complete as well, but yea. hard to say why people don't spread their sources.  good luck finding what your looking for...
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2004, 10:48:07 PM »
I am always amazed at how little people are willing to follow through.  I tape alot of local acts where I am the only taper there, or one of a couple...I always give a card (well unless the guy is a complete ass) with my email addy to get the show, and I get emails from probalby 10%...last night at bloodkin, I gave probably 5 cards...I will likely get one request....

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2004, 11:55:18 PM »
Definitely, Nick...I've compared it to getting your apples at the orchard vs. walking into a supermarket and yelling out "Hey! Anyone here selling apples?" You get 'em in the orchard you can see the trees, talk to the grower, ask about pesticides, etc. In the supermarket, nobody will hear you and if you DO get pointed to the apple section you have no idea where they came from. It baffles me. :(
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com