Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: feeding the jb3 more than 16/48  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
feeding the jb3 more than 16/48
« on: January 11, 2004, 01:00:36 PM »
i've read this before plenty of times, but now can't seem to find any of those sources, so i figured I'd ask here.

I've read that you can feed the jb3 a 24/48 signal, it'll still say that its 16/48 but you have to change something in soundforge to get it back to 24/48...how do i go about doing this.  Am I right in my understanding, or am i totally making that up?

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

zowie

Re:feeding the jb3 more than 16/48
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 01:21:11 PM »
No.  You're thinking about feeding it 16/96.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 01:23:45 PM »
ok, so then it goes from 24/48 from the ua-5 and the nomad records it at 16/48...thats what i thought but then i remembered reading other stuff, and thats where the confusion came in.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 11:30:23 PM »
24 bit gets truncated to 16 (whatever sample rate you use)

96k gets recorded with a 48k header - this can be changed to achieve the correct playback speed, but the JB3 can't keep up with the data rate and drops samples.  You'll find glitches in your recording.

I don't know sound forge but you basically want to change the sample rate, not convert it.  The change should occur instantly, without processing.  In Cool Edit Pro, you go edit, adjust sample rate
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline drumminj

• Taperssection Member
    • my photos
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 12:03:44 AM »
Actually, I've had no problems with glitches at 96k on the JB3.  That is, I've not noticed anything audible on the three shows I've recorded at 96k.  I had no "control" to compare it to, however.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 02:20:43 AM »
I had no "control" to compare it to, however.

Better do that before starting any rumors  :P
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 09:41:13 AM »
24 bit gets truncated to 16 (whatever sample rate you use)

96k gets recorded with a 48k header - this can be changed to achieve the correct playback speed, but the JB3 can't keep up with the data rate and drops samples.  You'll find glitches in your recording.

I don't know sound forge but you basically want to change the sample rate, not convert it.  The change should occur instantly, without processing.  In Cool Edit Pro, you go edit, adjust sample rate

This is a guess, but I think, in Sound Forge, where it says the sample rate in the lower right corner, you can right click, and select the correct sample rate.

I haven't tried this, but I think that's how you change the sample rate, without resampling.

~AP
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2004, 10:01:23 AM »
i accidently recorded one of the first shows i did with the jb3 at 16/96.. and had audible glitches in my recording.... not alot but you could definantly tell

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2004, 08:50:23 PM »
well i've never sent it a 96khz signal, just 48, i think i'll stick with that.

thanks for all your help

zowie

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 10:18:39 AM »
16/96 is kinda silly anyhow.

Offline rmouk

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 11:05:02 AM »
So what are the consequences of the JB3 truncuating the 24 bits to 16 bits, ie. 24/48.

What I'm thinking of doing is sending the optical out from my UA-5 to the Nomad, while I experiment with sending the coax out to my IPAQ.  I don't have the IPAQ up and running yet, but I'd love to back it up with the Nomad.

Bob

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 02:16:17 PM »
i always run 24/48 to it and have the usb going to my lappy with my ua-5, don't really notice anything out of the ordinary - sounds fine at least.

ed

Offline joemango

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 03:26:39 PM »
So what are the consequences of the JB3 truncuating the 24 bits to 16 bits, ie. 24/48.

It depends on the d/a converter. it might massage (dither) it so there's no noise, but if it doesn't you'll just lose the extra 8 bits of resolution and your music might come out sounding very slightly metallic or mp3-ish.  Either way it's not tragic, but you want to take full advantage of your equipment for mastering.

You have to drop to 16 bits to put any of it on a CD, plus resample from 48 to 44.1, so the more resolution you have BEFORE you do either, the better your final product.

Offline rmouk

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 03:43:53 PM »
I guees maybe I wasn't being clear.  If I'm sending 24/48 from the UA-5, and the JB3 is truncuating the extra eight bits, is that going to effect the sound quality of the JB3 recording?  SpeshulEd says not that he can hear, you say possibly.  It makes sense to me that if you chop off eith bits it will make a difference.

I guess if the JB3 ends up being a backup to the IPAQ, then its not that big of a deal, but I'm not convinced the IPAQ is going to be really reliable right off the bat.

Bob

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2004, 03:49:43 PM »
If I'm sending 24/48 from the UA-5, and the JB3 is truncuating the extra eight bits, is that going to effect the sound quality of the JB3 recording?

The answer is:  YES.  The real issue is whether it will be audible to you and everyone else.  This is, of course, highly dependent on each individual's listening experience, ears/brain, playback system, etc.

If you're unsure the Ipaq will be reliable at first, stick with 16-bit until you're comfortable it's stable.  Then make the jump to 24-bit at home testing to see how stable it is.  Or...just fire away at 24-bit and see what happens!  The choice is yours...   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rmouk

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2004, 03:53:09 PM »
Thanks Brian.  I was fairly sure that was the case, but was looking for some confirmation from someone more knowledgable then I.

+T for the help!

Bob

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com