Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Balcony Clamp Ideas?  (Read 3317 times)

Offline Credoors

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Balcony Clamp Ideas?
« on: January 12, 2004, 01:44:56 PM »
hey all,

im going to be taping from a raised balcony type thing later this month and was wanting to clamp my mics to the balcony.  i have seen the clamps that are made for balconies...but really dont have the money for that right now.  is there anything around the house that would work or does anyone have any ideas?  i only have at853's so they are small so im thinking there should be a way to do this.

thanks for any help!

peace,
danny

Offline Mark

• Taperssection Member
Re:Balcony Clamp Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2004, 01:48:17 PM »
Send me a message.  I have a crude clamp that I made and works well.  It is made out of a mic mount and hand clamp bout at a hardware store.  I recently bought a new clamp, and have no use for this.  

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2004, 02:02:01 PM »
is there anything around the house that would work or does anyone have any ideas?

Two words:  duct tape.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2004, 04:47:06 PM »
I use an Ultrapod mini tripod. They are designed to let you use them free standing or you can velcro to a tree or something. Google for ultrapod. I got mine for like $10. It has a tripod thread on it and I attach a t-bar to that. Cheap, simple, and works well. Just don't adjust it while taping (the velcro is loud).

Matt
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline goose

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2004, 01:49:55 PM »
I second the Ultrapod.  Fantastic little thing - very versatile.  I got mine at REI.  Check them out.

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2004, 02:14:56 PM »
is there anything around the house that would work or does anyone have any ideas?

Two words:  duct tape.

Please dont use duct tape if this is a venue that you care about.  Duct tape leaves adhesive residue that pisses off venue owners - especially at venues that have been restored.  There comes a point where the venue owner won't want to waste time looking for people using duct tape - he'll just prohibit tapers.

Spend the money and get gaffer's tape. It won't leave residue, it can be ordered in matt black.  Then if the venue manager complains you can at least show him what you have and that you were considerate enough to spend some money to protect his investment and keep his room looking nice.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 03:07:46 PM »
Please dont use duct tape if this is a venue that you care about.[snip]

Uhmmmm, yeah, I screwed up.  McMiller has it 100% right!!
Roland R-05

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 03:14:48 PM »

From the Simple Search Function

the simple search function DOES NOT WORK ALL THE TIME!

a coat hanger might work since these are small mics.  also gaffers tape is key.
the show is over go home please.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 03:22:32 PM »
the simple search function DOES NOT WORK ALL THE TIME!

Actually, the Simple Search works flawlessly every single time.  The real question: whether the content for which you're searching falls within the default (and invisible to the end-user) criteria.

That's why you should always use the Advanced Search.  It, too, works every single time.  And it only takes a whopping 4-1/2 seconds longer to set up.

The issue is not whether the search functions work.  They DO, every single time (save for a browser misload or some such).  You caught me at a bad moment. Heh.  I'll spell out the real issue here, Donald:  L-A-Z-Y.
Roland R-05

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 06:29:15 PM »
this person was looking for a product that does not exist the only way to find info some times is to ask. granted the search function does provide info but when looking for specific info it is better to ask IMO after all isnt that what a forum is all about?

sorry for sounding pissy but i think it would be nicer to just post a link to where the info is rather than remind people about how great the search feature is. also {imsure this will get moved now since it is a suggestion butt} There is a wealth of info in the archive section how bout we put it at the top of the list and name it something other than archive. how about "useful info for tapers"

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 06:50:09 PM »

sorry for sounding pissy but i think it would be nicer to just post a link to where the info is rather than remind people about how great the search feature is.

but wouldn't that be like asking someone to do your search for you?

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 06:54:27 PM »
this person was looking for a product that does not exist the only way to find info some times is to ask.

Moke simply pointed out a wealth of information from recent posts, all of which are potential - and some inexpensive - solutions.

granted the search function does provide info but when looking for specific info it is better to ask IMO after all isnt that what a forum is all about?

Well, which is it, Donald - does the search function work or doesn't it?  Make up your mind.

This forum exists to provide useful information to tapers, yes.  And the Archival Info forum and search functions exist to assist in providing that information.

sorry for sounding pissy but i think it would be nicer to just post a link to where the info is rather than remind people about how great the search feature is.

No need to apologize.  Informing people about the search functions is the single nicest thing I can do - it enables them to find information out for themselves without having to rely on other people to respond to their question.  Moke simply provided a link to a series of useful threads which, in part, addressed the question at hand.  The fact that he did so by posting to results from the Simple Search - and my followup posting about the Advanced Search - just serves to help educate people about the search functions.  Seems nice enough to me, helping people utilize as best they can the resources of this site.  And I really have no interest in doing searches FOR people when they're fully capable of performing the search themselves.

also {imsure this will get moved now since it is a suggestion butt} There is a wealth of info in the archive section how bout we put it at the top of the list and name it something other than archive. how about "useful info for tapers"

The Archival Info forum is appropriately named and described on the main forum page: "Any information about taping that may be useful to other tapers."  It just doesn't get any simpler.
Roland R-05

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 07:36:31 PM »
ugh. and I even got a -t

oy

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 07:45:56 PM »
back at you mister1028 tickets, fancy purple star, global moderator fancy pants.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com