Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Video Taping Shows  (Read 3420 times)

Offline strick9nineprod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Video Taping Shows
« on: January 13, 2004, 10:35:34 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is into doing this, and how would i go about bringing in a camcorder and how to set up.

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Video Taping Shows
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2004, 11:47:09 PM »
Just wondering if anyone is into doing this, and how would i go about bringing in a camcorder and how to set up.

to Stealth, you need:

1. balls of steel
2. a steady hand
3. a camcorder
4. more balls of steel :)

i have friends who do it, and i tip my hats to their efforts!!

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2004, 11:49:02 PM »
i video'd a grandaddy show back in august, i hopefully plan on doing super furry animals in february.  The venue i'm doing it at i go to quite a bit, i know security and i know exactly where to go...which is usually in the balcony right above the soundboard.  with only one camera, i try not to zoom in too much on any certain thing.  Just keep it wide, it might be kinda boring, but you get to see the whole concert, not just one member of the band.  I set the camera on edge of the balcony about a foot away from where my mics are clamped, unfortunately i don't have audio in on the camera, but since the cam and the mics are pretty much in the same spot, its easy to sync the two up.

keep in mind that you're gonna have to stealth the cam a lot more than mics.  A lot of bands that don't mind taping audio, aren't for video.  so if you want to set up a multicam operation, it'd probably be best to get approval before hand.

ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2004, 11:52:02 PM »
I agree Marc.

I have everything to get the job done. Just never used it.  that's crossing the boundaries of really working at the show. I wanna have fun.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline firmdragon

• Taperssection All-Star
    • taping blog
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2004, 12:10:48 AM »
i video tape, but not stealth.  i just don't have the gusto in me to stealth.  besides i'd rather get a kick ass audio than a  from-the-back stealth job.  when i do film, usually it's from the front and up close, so i don't mind losing out on audio.

Offline Xpanding Man

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Homer meditate now
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2004, 01:25:35 AM »
i tried video taping some arena shows recently, it was a 4 night run and by night 3 i caved and just started partying....i'm glad i got some video, and to be honest if you don't mind having the same camera angle for extended periods of time, video is easier than you think...i have a cam i can crotch, and stand that collapses to like 18 inches, and i have a way of making people know that i'm in it for the cause, not to make money...

i'm rambling...just stay away from aisles and yellow shirts, smoke out everyone around you, and don't sell it.

and i agree, hat's off to the guys who can actually 'film' a show, with appropriate zooms and stuff, i know a few and they are good people.

but like page says
RULE NUMBER ONE IS HAVE A GOOD TIME !
The ships of state sail on mirage & drown in sand (R.Hunter)

open: Busman Actives / ADK TL's / MK012s > V3 > DR70 / iRiver
stealth: AT 943 > Church Uglybox > Tascam DR2

Being Taped: 
Guitars: PRS Custom 24, Olsondoc (Languedoc Copy), Mod Midi Strat, SG, 335, etc. 
Effects: Too many
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe II
Acoustics: Martin D-35 / Gitane DG-250 (Selmer Style) / Kick-Ass German Archtop (Glasl)

Offline bagtagsell

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Man is condemned to be free- Sartre
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2004, 11:21:49 AM »
I met this guy at alpine valley and deer creek this summer who snuck in
1. camera
2. tripod
3. wig
4. costume
5. Plastic fake head
6. Mics
7. A monitor and it looked like an eq device
He set the tripod up, put the costume on it, and attached the fake head to the top.  He had a special hole cut out of the head to put the camera in, and at the base of the tripod put all his gear.  It was nuts.  But from the back it looked like just another phan.  He said he would get arrested if they saw him again.  The second night of phish the security chased him around for a bit but gave up.
MG200/210>m148>v3>MT2496

*aspiring gear slut of the month year*
"I am the gear slut goo goo g’joob g’goo goo g’joob"

jpschust

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2004, 03:50:44 PM »
that's just funny as hell!  i know there are those out there who often sit front row balcony and clamp the camera :-)  

Offline sexymexi

• Taperssection All-Star
    • show list
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2004, 04:42:29 PM »
i saw a guy in the TS @ 10,000 lakes with a video camera, he had it on a stand, and mics above it.  i don't know how he was running it exactly, but he was running his mic audio into his camera, looked pretty sick..
AKG 391's > phantom boxes > JB3 or Casio DA-7
Panasonic WM1610 omni's > whatever

Playback: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum > Onkyo TSDX595 > matched Oynix Rockets > Mirage FRX-S8 sub

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 12:26:14 AM »
i saw a guy in the TS @ 10,000 lakes with a video camera, he had it on a stand, and mics above it.  i don't know how he was running it exactly, but he was running his mic audio into his camera, looked pretty sick..

i plan on doing this for the upcomiing moe show in St. Louis. according to their website they are allowing video recroding for this winter tour  :)

Brian

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 01:00:40 AM »
I'm very dead set against videotapers using legit audio tapers as a shield, especially at shows with generous taping policies...  has happened at a few shows (DMB especially).  Just makes things not good for audio tapers who've got a very generous policy to begin with.  

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 01:03:41 AM »
i'm thinking any clamp would do as far as attaching to a stand. now i wish there were some adapters for 5/8" > whatever thread size that my camera can screw on. then again there is always duck tape, but it's my friends camera so tat might not be cool.... any ideas? his digi camera is of the small variety. 3.5-4" tall and 2-2.5" wide. very small thread at the bottom.

Brian

Brian

Offline joeshambro

• Taperssection Member
  • taper turned professional FOH mixer
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 01:19:50 AM »
I'm very dead set against videotapers using legit audio tapers as a shield, especially at shows with generous taping policies...  has happened at a few shows (DMB especially).  Just makes things not good for audio tapers who've got a very generous policy to begin with.  

Oh seriously, I didn't mean you in particular.. was just stating an opinion :)  I knew you're totally legit.

+T..

Easy Joe... There is no anti-video policy on the show I'm taping. Just would like to not draw the attention of clueless yellow jackets.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com