Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So this is really weird...  (Read 5650 times)

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
So this is really weird...
« on: March 12, 2004, 04:14:31 PM »
First off, here's my gear:

TL's -> UA-5 (W-Mod)->NJB3

Here's my situation:

Last Saturday, I took the above mentioned rig to a local place by my house to do some taping of some locals and touring bands.  I set up the rig.  I am watching the meters on the JB3, and the right channel keeps cutting out on the display.  So I get pissed, tear down the rig, and grab my stealth stuff, and record that way.

Yesterday, I was going to go tape again at another local bar, but I remembered that I had these issues, so I set the rig up again in my living room, and monitor the levels while playing my stereo really loud.  No problems - seemed to be acting normally on the meters.

Then, I take it to the bar, set it up, and same problem!!!  Even though I had set it up and tested it before I left, I tend to fall victim to Murphy's law quite often, so I brought a spare mic cable, thinking that was the issue.  I changed cords, and now there is no right channel whatsoever.  So, I was pissed, tore down the rig, and stealthed that mug.

So, WTF?  I am going to test out every component of my rig using my other home studio gear, but I have this cynical feeling that I could set up my rig to record my stereo at a loud volume again, and see no malfunctioning whatsoever.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys may have...

peace-
Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re:So this is really weird...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2004, 05:12:12 PM »
sometimes it's such a hassle to set up for all that testing, but I think it's worth it. also, try recording your stereo as loud as it can possibly go.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Brian

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 05:33:59 PM »
are you using your own power supplies? did you have all your gear situated(ie. in bag or on table)  the same way at home as you did at the bar? are you using all the same cables you did at home as you did in the bar?

lots of variables here we need to sort out before we can determine a problem.  i'm thinking a faulty xlr connection somewhere in the chain; either at the mic, the cable itself, or your right channel on the UA5.

did you digi mod the unit yourself? i think i remember somebody on the board complaining of a similar problem after they did the digi mod himself.

Brian

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 06:11:20 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  

I did use all of the exact same gear in the home test as I did at the bar, and I even set the mics up in the same config (hypthosizing that it was tension on the XLRs at the mics that might be causing the problem) ;  I switched the cable at the bar, and that made it even worse!

I did build a battery pack for the ua-5, and I used that in my home test as well, and used the same one at the bar.

That's the thing I don't understand though, is that I tested it trying to control for as many things as possible.  The only real difference was that at home I had the UA-5 on my coffee table, and at the bar it was on the mic case... I maybe that could change the tension on the inputs of the UA-5, but when I wiggle those, it does nothing...

I didn't mod it myself - I bought it w/ the digimod and w-mod from Oade in October or November, and I bought the TL's from Sonic Sense in December... so I would imagine its all under warranty still...

bummin...

thanks!
~AP
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 06:13:37 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 06:22:19 PM »
Sounds like maybe one of the xlr connectors on either the mic or ua-5 has a problem....did ya try swapping the mics/cables to see what happens??    

Try seeting it up and if the right channel is messed up.....swap the mics.  If there is still a problem with the right channel swap cables.....at this point if you still have a problem with the right channel (and the left is OK) then your problem is between the ua-5 and the deck.

Process of elimination....pain in the ass but essential! :)
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 06:55:44 PM »
check and make sure the impedance switch on the UA-5 is set for "LO-Z."  It only affects channel 2's input, so if it got bumped that would explain it.  Good luck.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 07:50:11 PM »
check and make sure the impedance switch on the UA-5 is set for "LO-Z."  It only affects channel 2's input, so if it got bumped that would explain it.  Good luck.

I didn't  know that....nice Lee!
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2004, 08:09:51 PM »
great suggestions!  I will be trying all of them!

+t's

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2004, 11:52:01 PM »

BCostigan,
Hi-Z is for high impedance inputs like a guitar or something... in case you really cared :D
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2004, 08:22:18 AM »
hmmmmm

how bout this...
is your stealth rigs recording device diffrent than the jb3?

could be yer optical cable not seating properly in the jb3.

try the problem set up in the bar or where ever you are having the problems and switch between the analog input and the opti cable input.

just a thought.
the show is over go home please.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2004, 08:45:52 AM »
isnt the hi-z and lo-z switch and the 1/4" input disabled by oade when it is warm/presence modded?

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2004, 09:27:37 AM »

BCostigan,
Hi-Z is for high impedance inputs like a guitar or something... in case you really cared :D

Thanks but I did know that....just didn't know the switch only effected the right channel. :)

Offline teamakg

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2004, 09:48:45 AM »
isnt the hi-z and lo-z switch and the 1/4" input disabled by oade when it is warm/presence modded?

i believe so.  have had the switch in both positions and noticed no difference on my wmod

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2004, 10:49:17 AM »
Once again everyone - thanks for the assistance.  I am pretty sure I have narrowed this little dilema down to one of my mics not working properly.

I took my TL's, and hooked them up to my mackie mixer, which is hooked to my digital multitracker.   I was getting a reading from one mic, and the other was not registering.  I unhooked the one that was not working, and plugged another crappy condenscer mic into the same cable (thus, controlling everything except the mic)  - and ZAM!  signal.  

I am concluding that one of my TL's is the issue...  ;(

So, now I am going to have to try to get them exchanged... purchased them in December from Sonic Sense, so hopefully it won't be a problem.  Maybe this is a blessing in disguise... I have been thinking about going solely stealth lately, so I might exchange them for some really nice stealth mics or something...

Wish me luck!

« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 10:55:43 AM by pfife »

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline zhianosatch

• Trade Count: (1)
  • god-damned hippies!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2004, 11:47:28 AM »
STEALTH, BABY! STEALTH OR DIE!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com