Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So this is really weird...  (Read 5651 times)

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
Re:So this is really weird...
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2004, 12:08:09 PM »
isnt the hi-z and lo-z switch and the 1/4" input disabled by oade when it is warm/presence modded?

Yes, and for us stock UA-5 folks - the switch only comes into play if you're using the 1/4" inputs.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2004, 12:21:23 PM »
Grimlins like these can kick our asses for a long time.  Mark one set of everything (from mic to recorder)w/ a red (or color of choice) and make that the right channel (or left..just be consistant). Then when it happens  start eliminating parts by switch ing them to the other channel and see if it tracks.....fisrt off, just switch input to the recorder or ADC (whatever is the last of the analog path)...did the falid channel switch to the other channel???? yes then most likely problem w/ the last analog box.  NO, then reswap cables to orig config and move up the line and switch L&R cable.....and so on.....
This may have to be done when you exhibit the problem....like at a show but you need to do it when it rears its ugly head.

hope you figure it out.

peace
jah
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline HydroPANIC

• Taperssection Regular
  • Casey Dawg Recordings
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2004, 12:26:15 PM »
Hey JAH,

Sounds like you've had a lot of practice with the old cable swapping.... hehehe ;D
Live Long and Lucky,
MikeO

Offline JAH

• Taperssection Member
  • The kids they dance, they shake their bones!
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2004, 12:30:47 PM »
ya on got that shit down and fixed (I hope) ;)
Taping, it's a team sport!
km140/150>M148>mme or msbm-1
...yes screwdriver impaired
modified akg 461/2/ck8
iH120...and a slew of dat decks ;-(

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2004, 05:20:00 PM »
So, now I am going to have to try to get them exchanged... purchased them in December from Sonic Sense, so hopefully it won't be a problem.  Maybe this is a blessing in disguise... I have been thinking about going solely stealth lately, so I might exchange them for some really nice stealth mics or something...

please let us know how this transaction works out for you!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2004, 09:29:02 AM »
So, now I am going to have to try to get them exchanged... purchased them in December from Sonic Sense, so hopefully it won't be a problem.  Maybe this is a blessing in disguise... I have been thinking about going solely stealth lately, so I might exchange them for some really nice stealth mics or something...

please let us know how this transaction works out for you!

So far, I called Sonic Sense, and they gave me the contact for 'Larry' (who is at ADK, I believe).  I have yet to call him, but I have read on TS that he is a pretty good dude to have to work with, so I am not too pessimistic about it.  Besides... I bought the mugs like 3 monts ago!  gotta be under warranty.

Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline teajay

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2004, 09:51:34 AM »
yah, Larry's a great guy to deal with. He'll keep you well informed w/ phone calls and emails throughout the whole process. He's actually the CEO of ADK too, isn't he? Co-founder as well..

Good luck, but since you have to go through ADK instead of sonic sense for your warranty work, i guess you won't be able to trade them for a pair of stealths will you? Which is too bad if that's what you wanted....

Travis
Save a tree, eat a beaver

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2004, 09:56:15 AM »
yah, Larry's a great guy to deal with. He'll keep you well informed w/ phone calls and emails throughout the whole process. He's actually the CEO of ADK too, isn't he? Co-founder as well..

Good luck, but since you have to go through ADK instead of sonic sense for your warranty work, i guess you won't be able to trade them for a pair of stealths will you? Which is too bad if that's what you wanted....

Travis

Yeah.  If they fix them, then I might either keep them, or try to sell them.  If I get a new set out of the deal, I can prolly sell them for close to the same price that Sonic Sense does (maybe a little less... ;)) and get some stealths.

I have been wavering on getting rid of them, partly because they really smoke in the home studio setting as well.  They are, by far, the best mics I have in my small, but growing, collection...

Also, I do have a stealth setup right now, and I am about to get an AD-20.  Before the AD-20, I was using the A/D on the JB3, w/o a preamp, so I have a feeling that the AD-20 is really going to improve my stealth recordings, so I might have less motivation to move the TL's.

But this is prolly wishful thinking, cause my stealth mics are crap.  Usable, and enjoyable, but crap.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 10:04:00 AM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2004, 11:21:37 AM »
Now I need some opinions.

I spoke with Larry, and yes, he is a great guy.  He said I really have two options:

1) I could just have them ship one out, and I would ship the one that I have back.  This would, of course, mean that I don't have a stereo matched set - but from him, and several other sources, the QC is really good, and they would be really damn close... or...

2) I can send the one in and get repaired.  This would take longer, but I would have the matched set.

What do you guys think?  Maybe relevant - I almost exclusively record loud music in venues that are really crappy acoustically.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 11:25:08 AM by pfife »

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2004, 11:30:11 AM »
Now I need some opinions.

I spoke with Larry, and yes, he is a great guy.  He said I really have two options:

1) I could just have them ship one out, and I would ship the one that I have back.  This would, of course, mean that I don't have a stereo matched set - but from him, and several other sources, the QC is really good, and they would be really damn close... or...

2) I can send the one in and get repaired.  This would take longer, but I would have the matched set.

What do you guys think?  Maybe relevant - I almost exclusively record loud music in venues that are really crappy acoustically.

I would propose a third solution:

ADK ships you a new one.  You ship the busted one to ADK.  ADK repairs the busted one.  ADK ships the busted one back.  You ship the temporary replacement back to ADK.

That way, there's no downtime for you, and you still maintain your matched set.  Doesn't hurt to ask - if he says no, you're no worse off.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2004, 12:15:36 PM »
Now I see this tread, and I think I might not actually have a matched set...  I got them from Sonic Sense, for $695... I was under the impression that they were matched, but apparently they arent?

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=16007

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2004, 12:48:30 PM »
so Sonic Sense has been selling "matched" sets of ADK's that aren't actually matched?

sounds about right ::)
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com