Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Couple of newb start up questions  (Read 3210 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
Couple of newb start up questions
« on: March 18, 2004, 11:02:23 AM »
First post so hello to all and thanks for all the info I've picked up on by lurking. ;D

I'm going to go the UA5>JB3 route and figured I'd finish it off by picking up a cheap set of mics. I'm thinking about a pair of Superlux SMK-H8K, since I can get a set of 2 for $140. I happen to live in one of the few areas of the world besides Guam where there isn't a guitar center so Octavas are out. First question is, does anyone know of a superlux recording that I could listen to compare them to mics I am more familiar with?

Second question involves cables. Is there likely to be a difference between a $15 CBI and a $25 monster cable? I need between 15-20 feet of female to male XLR cable correct?

Thanks,
John
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
Re:Couple of newb start up questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2004, 11:06:20 AM »
I can't answer 1 for you, but you are very unlikely to hear the difference between those two cables, assuming each is built properly.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2004, 12:08:09 PM »
Ok, I'll take on #1. :) Try hitting up archive.org/audio and search for superlux. There's even a few Superlux>UA-5>JB3 recordings so you can hear exactly what your rig will sound like! That taper (SpeshulEd) hangs out on here, too, as does Alex Herd, who taped the Pittsburgh stuff.

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2004, 12:31:41 PM »
Thans Dave,

I actually had done a search on the LMA, but I was trying to find a show that had two sources, one with superlux, another with AKG,ADK,Schoeps,Anything etc so I could listen to the difference. I found the superlux recordings, but I figured the candidates most likely to have had other tapers were the Derek Trucks and Umphrey's shows. Unfortunately this didn't work there is an Umphrey's sbd circulating of the same show, but nothing with other mics alone. Either way thanks.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2004, 01:42:32 PM »
unfortunately you can't compare many of my sources with other mics, cuz most shows i tape, i'm the only taper there.

if you click the "live fuzz downloads" link in my signature, it'll take you to some samples with superlux mics on the archive.

as for xlr cable, if you can do the digimod on the ua-5 yourself, you can make your own mic cable.  you can get canare star quad cable and neutrik ends at www.markertek.com  i got two 15 foot cables plus right angle ends for less than $50.

also, i taped a walkmen show with them, i posted it in the kickback section...heres the link  (i'll be leaving the bt up over the weekend, then i'm taking it down)

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2004, 03:28:26 PM »
Thanks SpeshulEd, I'll check out a couple of tracks from that last show you recorded in 2003. I'm actually listening to thick as theaves right now. Would you reccomend right angles for both male and female or female only? Also, these snap together without crimping? How sturdy is the connection? If a wire comes loose can they be taken apart or does a new connector need to be added? Thanks again.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2004, 03:36:41 PM »
i went with right angles on both ends, just cuz right angles seem to be the hip/cool thing.  i don't really think they're needed, so its up to you.

in the archive section there should be post telling you exactly how to put the cable together.  its really simple.  solder the wire to the connectors and put the neutrik end together and you're done.  it seriously took me 15 minutes to make them.  at first i tried to be careful with them, thinking that they'd break easier.  but then i figured that my craftmanship is probably better than the craftmanship on the cheap xlrs you buy at a music store.  so now i treat them like normal.  on occasion they hit the floor or bang against stuff, and they keep on working without any problems.

if you're checking out fuzz stuff, check out the song whiskeydick, its great.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2004, 04:28:40 PM »
Thans Dave,

I actually had done a search on the LMA, but I was trying to find a show that had two sources, one with superlux, another with AKG,ADK,Schoeps,Anything etc so I could listen to the difference. I found the superlux recordings, but I figured the candidates most likely to have had other tapers were the Derek Trucks and Umphrey's shows. Unfortunately this didn't work there is an Umphrey's sbd circulating of the same show, but nothing with other mics alone. Either way thanks.

Ah, ok, I gotcha! Didn't see what you were getting at, but that sure  makes sense now that I think about it. ;) I actually taped the June 29th "Big Shindig" Guster set, and Alex's is up there as well, so there's a Superlux/Elation comparison. John Kelly also taped the Carbon Leaf set, so that'd be a good Superlux/at933 comparison...

--Dave
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2004, 06:11:04 PM »
Dave,

Yes! That is exactly what I was after. I'll check out those shows. Thanks a million.

John

Offline Swampy

• You Worthless Swampy Fool
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2004, 06:43:24 PM »
FWIW, thoes are probably by far the worst tapes Ive made and seeded... If you want a good example, maybe we could get Dan Morgan's Neumann source of the DTB show, which IMO, sounds very similar to my superlux source...

I do think that the Superlux are the best mics for under 400 dollars hands down. I really have yet to make a tape with my AKG 391s that I would say rivals any of my Superlux tapes. If you need any more info, let me know!

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 04:04:46 AM »
considering i got the mic bodies...omni, card, and hyper caps...a neat little case to cary them all in...shock mounts that are the perfect size...a not so great, but still ok tbar....and an adapter for my stand....all for under $200.  i'm gonna say that these mics are the best thing $160 can buy.

but thats just me.  i also got lucky and found the deal on ebay, but i don't think its around anymore.

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 03:07:32 PM »
Would you reccomend that I look for a set with all three caps then? I was thinking of just getting the card set. Application would be non-stealth in clubs and occasionally small concert halls.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com