Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie's informal poll: while taping, do you stay with your gear all show?  (Read 8558 times)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • half dead batteries
for me it depends on the venue/setup location.
if I'm running onstage I generally dont worry about it and move about.
an official ts, I'm not concerned either unless my stand is at the corner that gets the most foot traffic(front corner of E Factory and 9:30 Club!).
local venues I usually clamp to a structure(Alley Katz, Canal Club) or setup at the foh booth(Cary St)

outside at ga/fob shows I'll stick with gear and help block

the water's clean and innocent

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
creekfreak, is your gear on your homeowners or car policy?
we had a Powerbook stolen from a club a couple years ago and had to say someone broke into the car or it wouldnt have been covered under insurance(renters insurance only covered things physically in home)

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
you mean there are people who pull tapes without drinking?!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
hahaha, luvean;-)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
you mean there are people who pull tapes without drinking?!

Yep, get me inebriated, and I'll leave the deck on pause through the whole show, everytime!

that I understand, thats why I dont get my first drink till after the show starts, well usually, ok sometimes, actually, allmost never  :)

that said, I dont get schwilly or anything(at least on beer)
though I have noticed that the more inebriated I am, the more errors are in the recording
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 10:53:50 AM by luvean »

Offline John R

• Trade Count: (2)
    • www.tapers.org
just like most, i always stay with my gear, unless i need to get some water or hit the head.  typically, i know someone in the section and always inform them where i'm going, just in case.  exception, telluride, it's a huge group effort, and the section is the same people evry year, that i have no problem cruising for an entire set.  there's three of us who get the section set up every morning, so it's a long day, gotta get to cruise/boogie every now and then.

jr
we all live downstream.

Offline jhirte

• Trade Count: (0)
  • At ease atleast yeah.
Stay with gear ? Hell yes!!! When you got 5K worth of stuff setup, not a great idea to leave it alone for others to trip over, spill beer on, step on, steal.

Only time I leave it, is if someone I know is watching it so I can use the restroom, or get another drink. OR if I get there early enough before doors open, then I'll mill around for a few minutes.

Never had a problem (yet... knock on wood).

Also, homeowners insurance should cover stolen gear, but still.... why risk it, and plus, its a headache to get replacement gear! Took my insurance company 2+ months to replace all mine.. missed a LOT of shows because of it to! DONT RISK IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO!

-Jim

Offline kgreener

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Alright y'all, thanks for the great response!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who stays near his stuff, happy to resolve that.  Now I'm off to Philly to tape Kimock...wahoo!

Have a great night everyone  ;D

BobW

Another reason my gear is insured....some steals it...I get new gear

Rider on your homeowner's or are their separate policies?

Offline kev B

• Taperssection All-Star
  • mmm, taping!
I am a wonderer at shows. I like to check different places in the room- be it a bar or an arena. I like to hear and see different things. But I always go back to home base. So, now, as a new taper, I don't wander as far but I still roam... unless there are some foreboding wooks or other drunks in th area.
Oktava MC012 > digi-mod UA-5 > JB3 > SVU-1

Team Philly, Team Oktava, Team SVU-x

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
I try not to leave my gear unless I know there's at least one other responsible person (taper or friend) who's going to stick around while I go grab a beer, hit the bathroom, etc.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline hoobash

• Taperssection All-Star
When I got a show by myself if I need a beer or take a piss I leave my gear along. If things are ugly around my stuff I wont leave it alone

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
Another reason my gear is insured....some steals it...I get new gear

Rider on your homeowner's or are their separate policies?

part of my home owners policy. Short of gross neglegence I am pretty much covered, if I say got the t00bs, I would have to upgrade..only covers soo much.

On the topic of drucken or plain fucked up taping I am a pro. Pulled many a good tapes completely blasted...camp creek is my fav...fractels, beers, and special brownies...breaking down takes FOREVER  ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
depends where and who i tape.  if its my friends, they're usually playing at a bar/club that i've been at before, and most fans and people know to look out for me.  so when they play, i usually wonder freely to get beer and whatnot, but for the most part, i just hang by the gear, not much else to do.

at shows at bigger venues i usually stay by my gear the entire time.  my friends know they'll be getting a tape, so they bring me beer and other goodies.  for some reason i have a huge bladder too, so i can hold it forever.

when you're standing next to $1000-$4000+ dollars worth of gear, you can't be too protective.  even if your gear cost you $100, if you lose it, you'll have to replace it....for some thats easier than others i guess...but i don't want to risk it.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
Yeah... I tape in a lot of the places Ed does... and usually I will stand there just to make sure tools don't get caught in the footprint of my stand...

This is the main reason I am considering going completely stealth... it's too much to worry about.

BTW- Ed- my band, drag king, is playing at Mac's on Friday, with some other instrumental bands.  if you want to roll out and tape, I will talk to steve about getting you in for free.  If not, understand dude.  Also, in case you didn't know... good tapes are like currency to Steve at the door...

8)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2004, 02:45:23 PM by pfife »
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com