Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: boom arm over balcony  (Read 2277 times)

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
boom arm over balcony
« on: March 20, 2004, 06:17:54 AM »
Has anyone taken a boom stand/arm and dropped it over a balcony so it hangs down below the balcony?  I taped here tonight in the balcony:

They used to let you pull from the floor but the past two times I've taped there they've made us go to the balcony.  I got a pretty good floor pull, but I definitely don't get good pulls from the balcony.  The vocals are always faint and unnecessarily hollow and the instruments dont sound the best either.  The problem is the speakers point down, toward the audience on the floor, and they are right below the first floor ceiling, and they don't turn on their 2nd floor speakers, at least not loud enough to pick anything up in them.  Tonight I used my rowi 103 clamp and clamped to the bottom of the balcony, dead center, right above the security camera you can barely see,  but next time I tape there, I would like to be able to run from a lot lower, say, at the level of the security camera, but the only way I could think to do that would be to hang a boom arm straight down.  I suppose I could maybe get a regular mic stand and just duct tape it around the railing, but that would be messy and potentially dangerous.

Any suggestions, or solutions you all have used to such a problem?

Offline Swampy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • You Worthless Swampy Fool
Re:boom arm over balcony
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 09:11:15 AM »
Hey, when I go to shows with a balcony, Ill always take a boom arm with me, but I have yet to use it... My boom arm (I think all of them are like this) will screw onto my stand, so its a 5/8 thread just like mic clips.... So, if you wanted to get that sucker down there, you could set up you stand, put you clamp real low on it, and screw the boom arm onto the clamp... You smell what Im steppin in??? Hope it helps!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 10:02:18 AM »
the other thing you can is clamp to the bottom of the balcony...I do that all the time...

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2004, 10:19:38 AM »
I use a boom stand off a balcony at a place I tape at all the time in Rochester, usually with very good results.
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2004, 12:14:57 PM »
the other thing you can is clamp to the bottom of the balcony...I do that all the time...

No issues of noise introduced from people using the balcony rail?
I would think that something like a steel balcony rail could get noisy?

rambling, but curious.....

I've never done this exactly but you could pad the stand \ boom arm out  with a jacket or sweatshirt to prevent  nasty noise. sorta like a shock mount for the entire stand if you get my meaning.  

I once made a "shockmount" outta some duct tape and a piece of foam.   the show survived a major stand bump with no noticible noise!

"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24
Mics:Schoeps Mk4,   Beyerdynamic ck930(for sale)  ,Sound Professionals - SP-CMC-8 , Marcsounds binaurals  Pre amps: Beyerdynamic MV-1 ,  Naiant IPA  Recorders:  Edirol R-44, Edirol R-09HR, Roland  R-05

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 03:21:18 PM »
thanks for the tips guys.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 04:59:15 PM »

No issues of noise introduced from people using the balcony rail?
I would think that something like a steel balcony rail could get noisy?

rambling, but curious.....

I've never done this exactly but you could pad the stand \ boom arm out  with a jacket or sweatshirt to prevent  nasty noise. sorta like a shock mount for the entire stand if you get my meaning.  

I once made a "shockmount" outta some duct tape and a piece of foam.   the show survived a major stand bump with no noticible noise!

I clamp it, using shock mounts to mount the mics...not going to get any metal rumbling from the balcony that way...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com