Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Help processing SBD tape  (Read 2714 times)

Offline olyrc

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
    • My tapes on archive.org
Help processing SBD tape
« on: March 21, 2004, 01:43:11 PM »
Ok, last night I got a board patch for a folk show.  Solo performer with vocals and acoustic guitar only.  I ran SBD > UA5 > D8 with the vocals in the left channel and guitar in the right.  The vocal mic picked up a little of the guitar, but the vocals are left channel only.  Using SF 7.0, what is the best way to process this show so I've got a good mix?  I haven't played around too much with all the features of SF, so the more help on this the better.

Thanks much.
Sonic Studios DSM-6S/L > PA-24 > TASCAM DR-07

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
Re:Help processing SBD tape
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 01:50:26 PM »
well how's the mix sound?
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 01:57:43 PM »
well how's the mix sound?

Not sure I understand your question or maybe my post was confusing to begin with.

I got two separate feeds from the board, one guitar and one vocal (couldn't get the house mix for some reason, so I took what I could get).

Here is sort-of what I got:

vocals \
            \
              left XLR in on UA-5   \
                                                D8  
              right XLR in on UA-5 /
            /
           /
guitar

so basically right now on playback I have vocals only in the left channel and guitar only in the right channel.

Hopefully that makes more sense.

Thanks much.

Offline Elana

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 03:23:37 PM »
I'd edit this in cool edit, it's easier to do mixing in there.  Just fool around with the levels and EQ until you get it sounding like you want, and then mix it down to one and make a dual mono recording (which is a stereo recording).

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2004, 04:26:41 PM »
Have only SF 7.0 right now and would prefer to learn more about that than load another program and then sort-of learn how to use that.

Any sound forge experts out there that can help me? ???

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2004, 04:44:22 PM »
Listen on your best playback system first.  does it sound bad? if you think it does, try a variety of techniques (I'm not familiar with sf or else I'd give you some) while still saving the original. make a bunch of comparison tracks on a cdrw or something and listen. I always do this when I try a new post-production technique...
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

cleantone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2004, 04:54:36 PM »
Do you know why you couldn't ge them main feed?

Beside that I have a comment.

If you can hear the vocal in the guitar channel and vice versa, your likely gonna have some phasing issues. I assume it was a mic on the guitar and one on the voice? Not on a guitar amp 5 feet away, or a direct from a pickup? or was it? If not thats likely gonna be an issue. It is difficult to mic guitar and vocal close to eachother that way. You need the mics to be about 3 feet apart to avoid phasing. You might be okay though.

As for actually mixing it down... I have not used SF since version 4.5. Unless Sony made some major changes from Sonic Foundry it is a 2 track program. You would not be able to mix to mono tracks together with a 2 track editor. Wavelab had a montage feature that would let you do it, but I'm not sure about SF 7.

No access to a multitrack program?

« Last Edit: March 21, 2004, 11:14:43 PM by cleantone »

Offline sickrick43

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2004, 04:55:03 PM »
Have only SF 7.0 right now and would prefer to learn more about that than load another program and then sort-of learn how to use that.

I'm running 6 (not enough changes in 7 to bother).

Process->Channel Mixer - allows you to take input from right and mix it to left and vice-versa.  BACKUP you master first.  Use the preview function before committing the process.

As Elana relates, this is going to be dual mono - not stereo though, as stereo uses time/phasing differences between channels to give an impression of imaging.  (+T for Elana anyway - liking this girl more and more).

You could also try doing a reverb from channel to channel, using only the "wet output" on the opposite channel.  This will place the reverb output to the opposite channel giving more of an "impression" of stereo imaging due to the timing/phasing cues it will introduce.

Play with the preview, and have some fun (and patience).  You'll hit something that you like the sound of.

Don't FORGET - do not SAVE OVER your original file...

Hope this helps...

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2004, 06:31:14 PM »
Do you know why you couldn't ge them main feed?

Beside that I have a comment.

If you can hear the vocal in the guitar channel and vice versa, your likely gonna have some phasing issues. I assume it was a mic on the guitar and one on the voice? Not on a guitar amp 5 feet away, or a direct from a pickup? or was it? If not thats likely gonna be an issue. It is difficult to mic guitar and vocal close to eachother that way. You need the mics to be about 3 feet apart to avoid phasing. You might be okay though.

As for actually mixing it down... I have not used SF since version 4.5. Unless Sony made some major changes from Sonic Foundry it is a 2 track program. You would not be able to mix to mono tracks together with a 2 track editor. Wavelab had a monage feature that would let you do it, but I'm not sure about SF 7.

No access to a multitrack program?

Vocals were mic'd and guitar was DI>board.

Offline olyrc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I dig music.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2004, 12:46:55 PM »

I'm running 6 (not enough changes in 7 to bother).

Process->Channel Mixer - allows you to take input from right and mix it to left and vice-versa.  BACKUP you master first.  Use the preview function before committing the process.

As Elana relates, this is going to be dual mono - not stereo though, as stereo uses time/phasing differences between channels to give an impression of imaging.  (+T for Elana anyway - liking this girl more and more).

You could also try doing a reverb from channel to channel, using only the "wet output" on the opposite channel.  This will place the reverb output to the opposite channel giving more of an "impression" of stereo imaging due to the timing/phasing cues it will introduce.

Play with the preview, and have some fun (and patience).  You'll hit something that you like the sound of.

Don't FORGET - do not SAVE OVER your original file...

Hope this helps...

Rick

This worked great.  Copied 90% of the vocal to the right channel and 85% of the guitar to the left channel and have a very nice sounding tape.  +t to all.

Cheers thanks.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com