Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking To Get Started  (Read 4612 times)

Offline urth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
    • My Trading List
Looking To Get Started
« on: March 23, 2004, 12:50:16 AM »
Ive been lurking for the past week or so and I figured Id jump in and ask a couple questions. I'm looking to stay at or below the $800 mark, but I could probably go up to about a grand. I'm pretty much sold on the UA5>JB3, that seems to be what a lot of people are suggesting from what i've read. As far as mics go, I've been looking at both the akg c1000s and Superlux SMK-H8K are there large advantages of one of the two? I'll mainly be taping larger venues with an occasional stop in a smaller venue. As far as cables go, how easy is it to make your own? Ive seen many people suggest it, but I'm probably one of the least crafty people on the face of the earth :-p. With the exception of the stand, cables, and batteries to run the ua5 is there really anything else that I must get, and would this be an ideal setup for someone just starting out?

Offline yemncsu

• Taperssection Member
  • Two man enter one man leave!
    • Downhome Groove.com
Re:Looking To Get Started
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2004, 01:11:53 AM »
My rig currently is C1000s>UA5>JB3.  I like them quite a bit.  They are Cards, but come with a Hyper adapter as well(Versatility a plus).  They also have decent internal shock mounts which could save some $$.  The biggest drawback IMO is that they are quite large/heavy, if I am not mistaken the Superluxes are smaller.  The best advice I could give is to find a few shows with both rigs and let your ears decide.  Also a little more info on what type of shows you will be recording will help. +T for coming to the right place.
Josh
ADK A-51TL>UA-5>MTII

Offline urth

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
    • My Trading List
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2004, 01:18:32 AM »
Also a little more info on what type of shows you will be recording will help.
 my plans for now were to start taping some of the bigger bands this summer, DMB, possibly some phish if they tour this year. mainly stuff in bigger venues, but then I'd also be taping mule, flecktones, and whatever else comes to town or near me that sparks some interest

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2004, 01:33:52 AM »
i run the superlux mics, you can hear some samples if you click the "live fuzz" link in my signature.  also, you might want to search for them on the archive, i'm sure you'll find some of alex's examples too.

the superlux mics come with a tbar and shockmounts...i think the shock mounts are great, they're small and do the job well.  i got mine with all three caps (hypers, cards, omnis) off of ebay for like $150.  i don't think you can find them on ebay anymore at that price, but you should be able to still buy the caps for reletively cheap.  here's a link to the mics, a case, the mounts, the bar, and the card caps for $140.

goodluck.  i run superlux>ua5>nomad and i'me quite happy with the results.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2004, 01:40:14 AM »
either the superlux's, the c1000's, and finally the oktava mc-012's are probably your best options.  if you happen to stumble upon used akg 391's I would definitely go for those, you see them now and then for ~400.

yemncsu said it best, find as many sources of possible rigs and let your ears decide.

I run oktava mk-012 (same as mc-012) > ua-5 warm mod (modded by oade bros) > jb3 (coming in mail tomorrow). the warm modification ua-5 has noticeable difference than the stock ua-5, but I'd still be happy to get you some samples. I am quite pleased with the two tapes I've made so far, super smooth.

while I think you would be happy with any of the above mics > ua-5, I am intrigued with how the superlux's sound. try to find superlux > ua-5 sources because the superlux's come in a fantastic beginner package.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Chanher

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2004, 01:41:34 AM »
oops, ed beat me to it, check out the samples he mentioned, I think I will too.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2004, 01:47:52 AM »
i need to get busy and put up more samples, i don't think the ones that are up sound all that great.  everything i tape with them seems to be in the noisy bar atmosphere.  i have some good shows that could go up, i'm just lazy as all hell.  maybe this weekend i'll work on that some.

peace
ed

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline urth

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
    • My Trading List
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2004, 01:54:59 AM »
i run the superlux mics, you can hear some samples if you click the "live fuzz" link in my signature.  also, you might want to search for them on the archive, i'm sure you'll find some of alex's examples too.
yea, ive already listened to a few songs from the fuzz. i really liked the sound from those, i was just curious as to what other people's opinions were on the two different mics.

as far as cables are concerned, is a lot of money saved if I were to make my own calbes, or is it right around the same price as if I were to find a vendor?

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2004, 02:06:18 AM »
i made two 15ft canare star quad cables with neutriks right angle ends on both sides for around $50.  I think they're more than that if you don't make them.  the post telling you how to make your own cables is super easy to follow.  and i find soldering fun, i had both cables made in about 15 minutes.  at first i was careful with them, but now i smack them around quite a bit and still never have a problem.  and if they break, you know how to fix them.

i think its worth it.

Offline mgleason007

• Taperssection Member
  • Mmmmm, yummy
    • My Bootleg List
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2004, 11:40:11 AM »
Hey Matt, if you don't feel comfortable making your own cables I can make them for you.  I could make your battery > UA5 power adapter as well.
Mike

Offline urth

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
    • My Trading List
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2004, 12:14:40 PM »
Hey Matt, if you don't feel comfortable making your own cables I can make them for you.  I could make your battery > UA5 power adapter as well.
Thanks, I may take you up on that offer

Offline King Crimson

• Deez Nutz
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2004, 08:03:26 AM »
http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-searchresults.php?searchAll=yes&collection=etree&submit=main&search=superlux&limit=100&start=0

I also run superlux, great starter mics for the price!  Though the shockmounts are craptastic and you may need to buy new ones, mine are starting to break.

I'll have a bloody mary, a steak sandwich and...a steak sandwhich.

Offline Ed.

• FJ Baby!
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2004, 07:32:02 PM »
Though the shockmounts are craptastic and you may need to buy new ones, mine are starting to break.

seriously, i love the little shock mounts, they're nice and lo profile.  whats starting to break on them?

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 01:50:34 AM »
keep your eyes open for some 391's...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Swanny

• Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2004, 09:31:25 PM »
deffinitely look for some AKG 391s or ADK a51s LE
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2004, 10:33:47 PM »
Urth - I just recently bought a 2nd JB3 battery, RC batteries, cables and stand. I did quite a bit of searching and think I found some good deals. Email me and I'll tell you where I got all this stuff and how much it all was. I think it might be against the rules or I'd post it all here.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline ubik

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2004, 10:41:02 AM »
I've the same question as Urth, though I want to start with a basic (inexpensive) stealth system.  A few questions, please:

1. Is there a .wav size limit in recording on the JB-3?  (the IRiver H140, which I was originally thinking about, has a 795Meg .wav limit)

2. Why do you need the UA5?  Can't you just plug the microphones, directly into the recorder, as long as they have power?  

3. Any comments on the Core Sound Stealthy Cardioid mic's?

Thanks,
Mark

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2004, 01:00:39 PM »
1. Is there a .wav size limit in recording on the JB-3?  (the IRiver H140, which I was originally thinking about, has a 795Meg .wav limit)

3 hours.

2. Why do you need the UA5?  Can't you just plug the microphones, directly into the recorder, as long as they have power?  

The UA5 provides higher quality gain and ADC.  But with proper power to the mics (and if you're recording relatively quiet sources possibly an inexpensive gain stage like a pair of line transformers), the NJB3 will work without the UA5 in the chain.

3. Any comments on the Core Sound Stealthy Cardioid mic's?

I've never liked any CS products personally (except maybe the dufusly named HEBs), but others may have different opinions.  For lots of talk about stealthy, inexpensive mics check the Archival Info forum for a stealth gear reference thread.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com