Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Denecke PS2  (Read 5835 times)

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:Denecke PS2
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2004, 03:50:57 PM »
I had no idea that you could brickwall running line in... learn something new everyday!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2004, 04:11:52 PM »
I had no idea that you could brickwall running line in... learn something new everyday!

I still think you might be right Tim.  I'm not sure you will brickwall the D100 on line in, but maybe.

More than likely the issue Kyle is having is with the MV100.  I had one for awhile and ran it with km184s that are pretty hot and had no -10db pad.  And I got a number of boughts of brickwalling before I figured out the problem.  The MV100 can take in a very hot signal on its input, but not on its output after the minimum +20db gain boost.  If you dig around the Oade archives, you can find my much more detailed post on this subject, along with all the specifications for the MV100.

I finally went in and modified the gain structure of the MV100 so that it provided less gain, and all the problems went away.

Oh, by the way, at the time I was having the brickwalling problems, I was not running the MV100 into a D100, but into either an Apogee AD500e or line-in to an Aiwa HDX3000 dat (same as the Marantz pmd700).
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2004, 04:16:46 PM »
Todd... I ran 391->mv100->ad500e for a long time. weird...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2004, 04:17:34 PM »
either way, taking down the gain on the pre should fix the problem

Offline Todd R

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2004, 04:21:42 PM »
either way, taking down the gain on the pre should fix the problem

Agreed.  No reason to not run an M1/D100 (or D8 or SBM1) at or near 10 as long as you have a continuously variable preamp that will allow for it.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2004, 06:16:09 PM »
i had brickwall issues running an analog patch out of a D8 too (the D8 was fed by a V3 and 184's) and one other time running analog out of 4022>v2>AD2K>DA-P1.

i'm almost certain the M1 will brickwall on line-in

that is very good to know re: the MV100 brickwalling, would you be interested in modding mine, Todd?

Offline Todd R

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2004, 06:23:45 PM »
Quite possible the M1/D100 can brickwall as well, I just wanted to be sure it wasn't the MV100 as culprit.

Sorry, Kyle, I've got too much going on to do mods as a general service.  If you'd like to take it on yourself, you can dig up my post on the Oade archives describing what I did.  Someone else there also did a similar mod and posted very detailed instructions on how to do it, along with a number of pictures.

Offline Cooker

• Local Crew
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2004, 06:28:47 PM »
oh i'm scared to mod my taping gear! too poor to replace it.
 i still have some decent shure attenuators, which imo sound hundreds of times better than the oktava pads, i'll probably just use those more - only problem with those is they don't work well in my bag

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com