Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: dummy question about levels(MD)  (Read 4140 times)

Offline snapple ryes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
dummy question about levels(MD)
« on: May 17, 2004, 01:33:23 AM »
alright. so i taped a show the other day with my Sharp MS722 and Dynamic Audio Cardioid Mics w/ DA-120F Fixed Battery Box.

i've learned that no matter how high or low i set the volume while i record, with the mics plugged into either the mic-in or optical/line out slots, that it doesnt make a difference as to the volume of my recordings. now when i tape with the mics plugged into the mic-in slot, the recordings come out very loud, lots of crowd noise, and distortion. i probably wont ever be able to come out with a decent recording with the mics plugged in there.

however, when i plug into the optical/line out slot, the recording comes out clean, but *very* quiet. i tried this just yesterday at a pretty loud venue, and i had my mics taped up to a wall that was just 10 or 15 ft in front of the stacks.

so do i just deal with it and hope that whoever i have transfer these onto CDR can do a volume boost without messing up the sound, or is there something obvious here that im missing. at first i thought the problem was the 9 volt battery in the mic box being low, but i replaced that with a fresh one and tested it out, and it still turned out too quiet. any ideas?
- The isolation of science from feeling, emotion, purpose, singular events, and historic identity, endeared it to more limited minds. But it is not, perhaps, an accident that most of the great spirits in science, from Kepler and Newton to Faraday and Einstein, kept alive in their thought the presence of God - not as a mode of explaining events, but as a reminder of why they're ultimately as unexplainable today as they were in their time.

http://www.angelfire.com/rock3/abandonshows/past_torrents.html

"been there done that" attitudes are for folks who are too cool to be happy.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re:dummy question about levels(MD)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2004, 02:14:22 AM »
a preamp, congratulations, you have discovered the solution on your own.  You still want to use the line-in, however, you need an extra boost of juice, right?  We use boxes called preamps to solve this problem.  Your rig will go something like...

DAC > DA120F > PREAMP > MS722

Preamps are like women.  They come in all shapes, sizes, and price tags, but only one (or two or three :-D) is/are right for you.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2004, 11:38:22 PM »
you can always raise the volume after the fact in a sound editing program.  
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 01:31:46 PM »
you can always raise the volume after the fact in a sound editing program.  

Yeah, but then your noise floor raises too. Best to get your levels as high as you can when recording initially.

It really sounds like this guy is trying to use his volume buttons to control his levels.  Which is why they aren't changing. "no matter how high or low i set the volume".  He needs to read his manual and figure out how to change the rec levels. I bet they've been set on whatever the factory setting is.

-dvn
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 01:46:46 PM »
schwill - thanks for the info. i dont really think a preamp is for me though. i have all of my pockets full just while recording with the gear i have, and i cant really imagine where i would stuff a preamp, especially while stealth taping.  i'll just have whoever transfers them do thier best job in editing. the recording is great, and i doubt a slight volume raise would decrease the quality to a point where it wouldnt be enjoyable anymore. hell, aside from the low volume, im surprised that i could get a recording this good out of gear that cost me a total of 160 dollars. especially considering all of the worse sounding recordings i've heard that were done with gear that cost 10x this amount.

tooldvn - i bought this gear used. if it came with a manual, i would have already checked it. it's just too bad that the "factory settings" are so low. but i guess they figure that it's better to have a quiet recording than an overdriven one.
- The isolation of science from feeling, emotion, purpose, singular events, and historic identity, endeared it to more limited minds. But it is not, perhaps, an accident that most of the great spirits in science, from Kepler and Newton to Faraday and Einstein, kept alive in their thought the presence of God - not as a mode of explaining events, but as a reminder of why they're ultimately as unexplainable today as they were in their time.

Offline Tenn Man

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 02:53:05 PM »
You can get MD manuals here:

http://minidisc.org/part_Manuals.html

Offline tooldvn

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • Music is the movement of sound to reach the soul.
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2004, 03:32:49 PM »
tooldvn - i bought this gear used. if it came with a manual, i would have already checked it. it's just too bad that the "factory settings" are so low. but i guess they figure that it's better to have a quiet recording than an overdriven one.

Check the post right after yours for location as to where to find the manual of your MD model.  Then you can play with the levels.  Keep in mind, if you have a Sony MD, you cannot set the levels "on the fly" while recording. If you have a Sharp, you can.

While it is better to have quiet than overdriven, with just a little level adjustment, you'll be a whole lot happier.  Have fun!

-dvn
DPA 4061²  &  AKG 61/63

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2004, 04:14:47 PM »
yeah. i had my levels set at the highest on these recordings. it goes from 0-30 and it was on 30 for all of them. they still turned out quiet.

it's odd though, since when i test the recording at home and change the levels while im recording, it makes no difference in the volume when i play it back and listen.

Offline Crimson

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2004, 05:40:04 PM »
it sounds like your MD is fucked
"The people in these towns, they're asleep...we wake them up"
We wake them up.  - Ben Hawkins.

mk4>nbox>m1

taperkat

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2004, 06:11:06 PM »
okay, here's a secret about the MS722.

Set your volume at 13-17, and your recording volume as much as you can. Only use line in.

When you want to convert, crank the fuck out of the volume. It *should* be suddenly a shitload louder. If not, then your MD's indeed fucked.

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2004, 08:04:05 PM »
sorry, but heres another dumb question for you kat.  whats the difference between setting the volume, and setting the recording volume?

for all of my recordings with line-in so far, i've used the max, which is 30.  will it actually turn out louder if i have it set from 13-17? or is there some sort of hidden volume adjustment that im missing here. i checked the manuals that were listed above and didnt find anything about it there.

taperkat

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2004, 08:06:33 PM »
There is the recording volume and there is the actual volume

Actual volume is the + and - buttons on the circle part on the top. That goes from 1-30.

There is also the line volume adjustment. Put in a blank MD, push record, and use the track forward and backward button - the vertical slider on the far right hand side - to change your recording level while you are recording. That also goes from 1-30. I've found you can put the listening (+/- buttons) volume on lower than the recording, so when you go to listen you can turn it up :)

It's what the Sharp has the Sony doesn't. ;)

if you need me to take pics LMK and I can :)

Offline herrmann2burn

• Taperssection Member
  • West by God
    • my tradelist
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2004, 11:16:16 PM »
When i used to run a MD recorder, i turned the actual volume all the way off when recording...i believed it would make the batteries last longer.
Take me home, country roads...to the place, i belong...

http://www.phishhook.com/lists/herrmann2burn

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2004, 11:21:08 PM »
When i used to run a MD recorder, i turned the actual volume all the way off when recording...i believed it would make the batteries last longer.

true, if and only if, you had headphones plugged in.  if you weren't using a headphone, then there's no current draw.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

taperkat

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2004, 11:26:08 PM »
Yeah, I also left my remotes at home, b/c they were lit and drained the battery some.

Offline George

• May the schwartz be with you!
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Unofficial TS thread killer
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 05:56:20 PM »
yep, what kat said about sharp recorders...i just checked my DR7, hit record and hit menu to access the recording volume via line in and also a trace back option.
SP-CMC-4s (C, H, SC terminated to mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Countryman B3 (Omni, mini xlr)>Tinybox>Sony M10/Tascam DR-2d
Audix 1200 series cable from Chris Church, pair of Audix M1280 card capsules

Listening: Oppo 980HD>Yamaha RXV667>Rega R1's + Rega RS VOX + Rega R5S's

"Every time I see a group of teenagers gathered around an iphone laughing at some youtube video, I walk up to them, slap the iphone out of their hand, get right up to them nose to nose, and scream at the top of my lungs:

TAKE A LOOK

IT'S IN A BOOK

READING FUCKING RAINBOW."

Offline snapple ryes

• Taperssection All-Star
  • ``release the hounds
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 09:04:50 PM »
hah! sweet. i couldnt find anything about that on the manuals. thanks a lot kat. so, apparently the recording level was set at 25 or 26 the whole time. so, while 30 wont be too much of a boost, it's still better than what i was coming out with before. thanks a lot, this should work out just fine.

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2004, 01:06:50 AM »
good times.  I never had a problem with my Sharp.  30 seemed to always be just enough

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com