Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mics -> Pre combo  (Read 6847 times)

Offline discopanic1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Mics -> Pre combo
« on: February 02, 2005, 09:59:31 PM »
I'm just curious what peoples have to say about this combo:

Schoeps Mk4/CMC6 -> Lunatec V3

and I've got it going into my M1.  Not sure how gonna come out since I sent back to get recalibrated to fit the 12v battery pac I already own. 

Peace out

JMC

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mics -> Pre combo
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 10:06:15 PM »
very nice sounding combo, pretty common setup... sounds great.

you'll enjoy it more than the mp2 you were running. it will fit the schoeps sound much better imo.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 10:11:29 PM »
yeah, especially since the MP2 didn't do digital and no A/D at all,very bad thing made for schoeps or not all made for schoeps and if you see jamie tell him I'm mad he sold the SHIT to me!

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 11:31:12 PM »
again why not use the 6 volts I sold you??  I could use those now.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline creekfreak

• Retired from taping
  • My Son's School Bus
    • Rochester Groove
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 11:33:49 PM »
good combo, ran it for a bunch of shows though I prefer the mk41 as far as the schoeps go, I actually like the TL's card better than the mk4...though I have made several outstanding outdoors recordings with the mk4 overall I didn't like it in most situations I used it in...and trading one set of caps for a whole new set of mics with 4 patterns with change to spare was an easy choice ;D
It is company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo - We have to use the indefinite article; "A" dildo, never: "YOUR" dildo.
In Tyler we Trust

And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, ooh ooh ooh, the sky is the limit!

My Current Rig:2004 Subaru WRX STI, Stage 3, 360hp, 380lb-ft

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 11:54:01 PM »
yeah, especially since the MP2 didn't do digital and no A/D at all

Not real surprising since the MP2 is a preamp, not an A/D converter. Did he tell you it had an A/D in it?
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline Tim

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2005, 11:58:51 PM »
jamie who?
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2005, 12:40:22 AM »
yeah, especially since the MP2 didn't do digital and no A/D at all,very bad thing made for schoeps or not all made for schoeps and if you see jamie tell him I'm mad he sold the SHIT to me!

The MP2 is not a SHIT preamp.  And the M1's ADC is reasonably good.  The MP2 is not the greatest, but it's a quality piece of gear.  Schoeps MK4/CMC6 > MP2 > M1 should have provided some quality recordings.  I'm still not sure exactly what problems you had or why (haven't heard any samples), but to blame it on Jamie is simply irresponsible, at best.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2005, 10:44:10 AM »
Yeah, Jamie did tell me it had no A/D in it, but the whole reason I said that was because when a newbie to all of this "owning your own rig" he should have helped out better.  My recordings come out bad because I did just like he said, "run M1 at  5-6".  So I did.  I call another taper, obviously knows to run differently, and he said run at 9-10.  I did this and  just 2 weeks ago, I made a respectible tape.  But w/ V3 tapes can only get better from here!

Offline Tim

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2005, 10:48:19 AM »
perhaps the problem wasn't your preamp or a/d but something wrong with your mic setup?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2005, 10:49:06 AM »
My recordings come out bad because I did just like he said, "run M1 at 5-6".

As we've discussed via PM, while it's preferable to run the M1 at wide open at 9-10, running it at 5-6 will not result in a significant loss of quality in the recording.  To the most golden of ears, maybe - otherwise, not.  If your recordings where noticeably worse at 5-6 v. 9-10, something else was going on other than simply the M1 Rec Level setting.
Roland R-05

Offline nic

• Big In Japan
    • half dead batteries
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2005, 10:49:58 AM »
Yeah, Jamie did tell me it had no A/D in it, but the whole reason I said that was because when a newbie to all of this "owning your own rig" he should have helped out better.  My recordings come out bad because I did just like he said, "run M1 at  5-6".  So I did.  I call another taper, obviously knows to run differently, and he said run at 9-10.  I did this and  just 2 weeks ago, I made a respectible tape.  But w/ V3 tapes can only get better from here!

hmmm, when I ran MP2> M1 if I ran the M1 over 5-6 I would get lotts of overs and distortion.
remember, the MP2 adds a minimum of 17db gain. most people run the MP2 as low as possible.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2005, 10:54:05 AM by luvean »

the water's clean and innocent

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2005, 10:51:22 AM »
the mp2 is not a bad piece of gear...alot of people like to bad mouth it, but I would venture to say that if you put them in a room and ran a A-B test between that and a variety of other preamps they couldnt tell the difference...the key with the MP2 is to run it as low as possible and the levels on the M1 as high as you can....

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2005, 10:53:44 AM »
It's problably a better idea to make a recording at a better venue than a bar.  I did however start new recording at a wide open/high ceiling bar.  Just don't have time to go see nice shows since in last semester of school.  Panic is on the  way though!

JMC

Offline Tim

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2005, 10:57:53 AM »
where do you live? There's got to be a local taper who can help you out...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2005, 11:16:28 AM »
Yeah, Jamie did tell me it had no A/D in it, but the whole reason I said that was because when a newbie to all of this "owning your own rig" he should have helped out better.  My recordings come out bad because I did just like he said, "run M1 at  5-6".  So I did.  I call another taper, obviously knows to run differently, and he said run at 9-10.

No offense dood, but to pin this on someone else is totally not fair to that person - in this case, Jamie.  First and foremost, how is he supposed to predict how loud a show is going to be at a venue he doesn't know, and then tell you some general rule?  Second, you have to ask questions.  I've asked hundreds of questions here, and people politely answer them.  Is someone supposed to anticipate your questions and answer them, because you are a newbie?

I've fudged so many tapes trying to get familiar with my gear... Even now, I'm somewhat of a "seasoned taper" - and I just got a new rig, and still go to some "practice shows" to do some taping before I hit a show I know I don't want to fudge.  Part of the territory man.

Good luck - and FYI- you might be happy going MP2 -> SBM-1  (mod or not...) and it could be a bit cheaper.

~Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2005, 11:23:55 AM »
practice practice practice.  thats what makes a great tape.  its not how much your gear costs, its how you use it.

(granted, good gear in the hands of those that have practiced a lot sounds better than not so good gear - but the secret is the practicing)

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Rob D.

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 01:20:03 PM »
A good deal of taping is trial & error. For better or for worse, its just a fact. Taping can also be a team sport so just because someone (vendor or not) gives you advise and you follow it but the results are less than desired, no reason to place blame - just keep on trying! Also, if you're doing something wrong when setting up, feeding signals, don't expect a new pre-amp/A/D to resolve it. Try different things as you're getting familiar with your new equipment and have FUN!

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 01:58:30 PM »
Of the things you can control, it takes technique and good gear to make a great recording (in that order).  Sounds to me like you're throwing money at something instead of learning it.  You could take several steps down in gear and still make great recordings if you spend some time understanding the process and the equipment.

This isn't mean to be a slam - more of a suggestion to figure what's going on before opening up your wallet again...that just gets frustrating!  Recognize that your gear is better than what most of the taping crowd owns.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 01:26:47 PM »
again why not use the 6 volts I sold you??  I could use those now.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2005, 08:09:30 PM »
I want to first say I'm sorry for any bad I caused by saying that Jamie had input into the problems of my recordings.  I do have a 7-pin shipped my way though!  Traveling to Oxford tomorrow night to get DBD at Proud Larry's.  Thanks for the tips.

Laters,
 JMC

Mk4/CMC6 -> V3 -> M1 

Oh yeah, and the MixPre isn't identical to the MP2 so that is why my tapes always had a grungy distorted sound, I was told by another shop that wasn't selling me anything that the MixPre was for dialog recording. 

Offline MarkDavidson218

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2005, 11:08:26 AM »
i really dig the schoeps tapes made on the 97 phish fall tour. i belive the Schoeps CMC6/MK41->Sonosax->SBM-1->DA-P1 was the set up i enjoyed the most. :)
-mark
mc012> ua-5 > G4 or m1

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2005, 04:43:34 PM »
Oh yeah, and the MixPre isn't identical to the MP2 so that is why my tapes always had a grungy distorted sound

No, it isn't identical, but it's damn near so - such that most people here wouldn't be able to tell the difference.  There's nothing inherent in the MixPre differences v. the MP2 that would cause your recordings to stink.

I was told by another shop that wasn't selling me anything that the MixPre was for dialog recording.

The MixPre is an analog preamp and can be used effectively for either analog or digital recording.  FWIW, DKlein has some good advice:

Of the things you can control, it takes technique and good gear to make a great recording (in that order). Sounds to me like you're throwing money at something instead of learning it. You could take several steps down in gear and still make great recordings if you spend some time understanding the process and the equipment.

This isn't mean to be a slam - more of a suggestion to figure what's going on before opening up your wallet again...that just gets frustrating! Recognize that your gear is better than what most of the taping crowd owns.
Roland R-05

Offline Tim

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2005, 05:05:03 PM »
i really dig the schoeps tapes made on the 97 phish fall tour. i belive the Schoeps CMC6/MK41->Sonosax->SBM-1->DA-P1 was the set up i enjoyed the most. :)
-mark

those were some very nice tapes... and I'm not generally a fan of teh sound of an unmodded Shitmapper

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2005, 05:14:40 PM »
always loved cmc6/mk41>v2>dap-1 also :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Old and in the way.
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2005, 05:19:17 PM »
Oh yeah, and the MixPre isn't identical to the MP2 so that is why my tapes always had a grungy distorted sound, I was told by another shop that wasn't selling me anything that the MixPre was for dialog recording. 

Good thing they werent selling you anything, because it sounds like they dont know what they are talking about.  Im pretty sure the only difference (at least the only major difference) between the MP2 and the Mixpre is that the MP2 allowed you to do MS recording.  The MixPre should be almost sonically identical to the MP-2 in other respects.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2005, 04:48:27 AM »
Ok, maybe the MixPre isn't as bad as I say.   The MixPre I owned must have been faulty since I've taped the last two nights with the V3 and made nowhere near the same sounding tapes, so much clearness out of the V3!  I know the MixPre is "suppose" to be good gear, but of my experience, bad taper or not, there is no way I think that kinda s0und is suppose to come from the nice mics I own.  And thanks for the tips TE and everyone else.....

JMC  

Offline stober

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2005, 10:08:21 PM »
i think the mix pre clips before the mp-2 did when running phantom power.I thinks thats what i read

Offline discopanic1

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2006, 03:01:39 AM »
I've been listening to my tapes since 2004, now with the M-Audio 410 transfering firewire, on cd, and I've realized the Sound Devices did 1 thing I didn't like.  It made George McConnell sound really bad playing with Barbara Cue from the 2004 show at Proud Larry's that I recorded.  Yes I did the Mk4/CMC6 > Sound Devices MixPre > M1, and now I like the V3 better.  Thank you Jamie for selling me Some Nice Microphones!  Go Schoeps!

Offline Gordon

• my list
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2006, 03:20:36 AM »
I've realized the Sound Devices did 1 thing I didn't like.  It made George McConnell sound really bad playing

that's just george ;)  someone had to say it.

Offline Nick Graham

• Amorican
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2006, 03:22:25 AM »
It made George McConnell sound really bad

I certainly wouldn't blame that on the MixPre, there's absolutely no gear combo known to man that can prevent that from happening.
Right now nothing...in the past: Schoeps CMC6, AKG 480, AKG 460, AKG 414, MBHO 603a, Neumann KM100, ADK TL>Schoeps MK4, Schoeps MK2, Schoeps MK41, AKG ck61, AKG ck62, AKG ck63, Neumann AK40, Neumann AK50, MBHO ka200>Lunatec V2, Lunatec V3, Apogee Mini-Me, Oade M148, Oade M248, Sound Devices MP2, Sonosax SXM2>Sony (mod)SBM1, Apogee AD500>D7, D8, D100, M1, R1, R4, R09, iRiver HP120, Microtrack

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.167 seconds with 56 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com