Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Distortion dissappearing  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Per

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Distortion dissappearing
« on: June 06, 2006, 11:23:46 AM »
Has anyone experienced anything like this? I went to tape a show yesterday with my dpa4061>mps6030>d100 setup. Taping went ok, not the best position and loud crowd, but not what I'm wondering about.

After the show, I drive home and put it in my tascam da-20 deck to check it out. It sounds heavily distorted. Really crunchy, but not like anything digital (diginoise).  Levels were ok and nothing indicated that any distortion should appear. I was a bit pissed so I just left it in the player and went to bed.

Next day (today) I put it in the dat deck again and the distortion is gone. Sounds bassy, but the nasty distortion is totally gone. I'm kind of reliefed, but now I'm wondering what caused this. I think I loaded the tape several times in the da-20 and if something is not loaded properly, I sometimes get diginoise and not a totally distorted recording.

Anyway. Was just curious if anyone else have had this happen.
DPA4061 > MPS6030 > Edirol R-09/M1/D100(Oade mod)
Schoeps MK4 / MK41 > Nbox > Edirol R-09/M1/D100(Oade mod)

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
Re: Distortion dissappearing
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:47:52 PM »
I was a bit pissed so I just left it in the player and went to bed.

Next day (today) I put it in the dat deck again and the distortion is gone. Sounds bassy, but the nasty distortion is totally gone. I'm kind of reliefed, but now I'm wondering what caused this. I think I loaded the tape several times in the da-20 and if something is not loaded properly, I sometimes get diginoise and not a totally distorted recording.

Anyway. Was just curious if anyone else have had this happen.

Hard to tell for sure if you put the tape back in the D100 again, and then no distortions?   Anyway, my guess is your DA-20 had trouble reading the tape, and maybe later (for some reason) it could read the tape better, or maybe the heads are not as dirty after a rewind operation and this helped a marginal alignment match? 

In other words, the master tape is aligned to a different setting on the Sony deck, and this makes tracking less sure on other machines aligned to a different standard; actually a common problem solved with having BOTH machines aligned by a service tech to one standard.  www.prodigitalinc.com is one with good reputation for such service.

made
"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 12:49:14 AM »

i would check your output cables.  i've had this happen to me before w/ my DA-20 as well.  it had taken care of the issue in my case.  hope that helps.
A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline Per

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 04:06:14 PM »
took a cleaning tape and ran it in the da-20. Seems to be working fine. Thanks for the replies. First I thought my d100 was bad, but it plays fine in that.
DPA4061 > MPS6030 > Edirol R-09/M1/D100(Oade mod)
Schoeps MK4 / MK41 > Nbox > Edirol R-09/M1/D100(Oade mod)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com