Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Completed my setup - deemed worthy?  (Read 6167 times)

jsimpson

• Trade Count: (0)
Completed my setup - deemed worthy?
« on: January 18, 2007, 11:07:02 AM »
Being a poor college student I can't technically afford an R-09 or H120, but I do have an iPod! Haha.

I bought the Belkin TuneTalk and some Binaural Mics from TheSoundProfessionals and an external USB power supply from APC. Haven't used it yet, my first chance will be next week at a local band show. But my main wonder is, is this a good setup for what I've got so far?

I'm mainly, well, ONLY, going to record loud concerts so I gotta know if what I have can withstand what I need. Either way, I'll find out within the end of next week, just wondering if you dudes approve.

Thanks,
Jsimpson

Update: 4-30-07

Sample:

This sample was taken when I FIRST got the setup done. It was my first recording so it came out pretty bad, but the mics I had weren't using bass roloff and I have done no post-prod. I was on a balcony about 30 feet from the stage so semi-quiet. I still think it turned out nicely.

PS- Autogain was on, I forgot to turn it off. Apparently it's better for loud situations when it's off.

Download link:
5.5 MB (.MP3 format)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UX2IGMV4
« Last Edit: April 30, 2007, 11:22:01 AM by jsimpson »

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Completed my setup - deemed worthy?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 11:09:15 AM »
Doesn't matter what anyone else here thinks of your gear - what matters is what you think of your gear, and whether it suits your purposes / budget.  Try a search for Belkin, there've been a couple discussions about the Belkin product, and if I recall the results were mixed.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 11:42:33 AM »
Being a poor college student I can't technically afford an R-09 or H120, but I do have an iPod! Haha.

I bought the Belkin TuneTalk and some Binaural Mics from TheSoundProfessionals and an external USB power supply from APC. Haven't used it yet, my first chance will be next week at a local band show. But my main wonder is, is this a good setup for what I've got so far?

I'm mainly, well, ONLY, going to record loud concerts so I gotta know if what I have can withstand what I need. Either way, I'll find out within the end of next week, just wondering if you dudes approve.

Thanks,
Jsimpson

You should really think about a battery box ether from Sound Professionals or Church Audio ( me ) this would improve your chances of getting a good recording if your belkin has a line input use it. Mic inputs for most recorders will distort. But before you go out and buy anything try it first! I am pretty sure it will distort because you really do need a battery box. But you don't learn if you don't try. Also you don't have to "buy" a battery box they are very VERY simple to make if you need help let me know I will show you how.

Chris Church
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

jsimpson

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 05:51:32 PM »
What does the battery box do? I have the APC usb charger so my iPod won't die when I'm recording. I guess the battery box is probably for powering the mics?

Offline phatDats4u

• Balloon Slayer
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • The best things are not things
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 05:59:41 PM »
Even though the belkin deal is feeding enough to power the mics, they will handle appx. 20db more with a battery box in the signal path.
MC930's > Mini-Me > MTII

My shows on archive

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 06:03:23 PM »
What does the battery box do? I have the APC usb charger so my iPod won't die when I'm recording. I guess the battery box is probably for powering the mics?

Yes, the battery box powers the mics.  The power that the Belkin provides to the mics is between 1.5v-5v.  A battery box provides much higher voltage (9v).  The more voltage, the louder you can record before the mics distort.  Give it a try at a loud show, if it doesn't work, then you might need a battery box.  Besides the mics being underpowerd, the mic input of the Belkin device might overload too.  That is why the best solution is a battery box plugged into the line input of the Belkin (if it has one).  With 9v and line-input, you can record just about any loud band you want.....

Good luck and have fun.  I started with similar equipment as you..  This is a great hobby, enjoy it!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

jsimpson

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 06:11:21 PM »
Yeah, I have this setup as of right now, so where should I go for the 'battery box' and which should I buy?

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 06:19:38 PM »
It does look like the Belkin has a line-input, so that is good.

I would get a one of Sound Pro's, or Churches battery boxes.  However, since the thing has a line input, I would get the Church Audio ST9000 preamp .  It has a knob to adjust levels and with give you more control and gain.
Any battery box will get the job done though.  Seach ebay for Church-Audio......
 (or PM him).

I would try the gear without a battery box first, it may just work for you....

Offline phatDats4u

• Balloon Slayer
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2007, 06:20:01 PM »
Well you could spend $60
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-SPSB-1

or a kind soul on here could tell you how to go up to radioshack and DIY for under $10
MC930's > Mini-Me > MTII

My shows on archive

jsimpson

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2007, 06:23:54 PM »
Thanks a lot you guys! I'll PM ChurchAudio and see what he wants to do.

Offline phatDats4u

• Balloon Slayer
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »
If you're planning on sticking with some clip on mics then this is the route to take.  You can plug some DPA's into this thing and have a great time up front and pull a great tape "out of your hat" while you're doing it
MC930's > Mini-Me > MTII

My shows on archive

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2007, 06:32:29 PM »
Doesn't matter what anyone else here thinks of your gear - what matters is what you think of your gear, and whether it suits your purposes / budget...

Word.

As long as you enjoy recording and enjoy the results, who cares what you're using.  It's both a fun & educational learning process to use your gear and find out what makes a difference to your ears rather than just swallowing other's opinons.  How you use it can be as important as what you use.  After a few tries you can compare and make changes if necessary - in technique, gear, whatever.  Compare with your previous results and with those of others, trust your ears & you can make well informed decisions. 

Your 'only loud concerts' comment is why a batt box is suggested.  Try recording some not so loud stuff as well, just as a test, as well as some loud (possibly distorted) stuff.  Play with settings and levels, learn to make the most of what gear you have and feel like a master.

Have fun.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

jsimpson

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 06:35:44 PM »
Thanks!

Offline beefstew

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 08:59:40 PM »
*Audio*
Mics:
SP-CMC-19
Panasonic WM61a

Recorders:
MZ-RH910 (Hi-MD)
Sony TC-WE435 (CASS)

*Video*
Canon ZR-500 [Mini DV]
54" Tripod

I spend most of my money on gambling, booze, and women. The rest i spend foolishly.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com