Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: total newbie question (jb3 content)  (Read 6665 times)

Offline phishn

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a lizard!
Re:total newbie question (jb3 content)
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2003, 08:46:02 PM »
welcome aboard switters!
AKG391/92/93's-> Hydra Silver XLR's -> UA-5(Oade warm mod) -> Microtrack II,JB3

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2003, 09:36:15 AM »
I am also considering buying a JB3, and is it safe to say that you need an A/D coverter as well?  Cannot go rode nt4 (battery powered) -> JB3 (through line in) w/o purchasing a Ad-20 or something like that, and have good results?  

If that is the case, I am going to purchase my AD-20 first...

Thanks-
~AP
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2003, 11:30:22 AM »
I am also considering buying a JB3, and is it safe to say that you need an A/D coverter as well?  Cannot go rode nt4 (battery powered) -> JB3 (through line in) w/o purchasing a Ad-20 or something like that, and have good results?  

Thanks-
~AP

You can go NT4>JB3 (and I have).  The NT4 has enough output to drive the JB3 to decent levels at a rock show if you use the JB3 line-in and some gain.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2003, 11:50:55 AM »

Thanks-
~AP

You can go NT4>JB3 (and I have).  The NT4 has enough output to drive the JB3 to decent levels at a rock show if you use the JB3 line-in and some gain.

Hey, thanks for your response... very helpful, as I am trying to decide what to purchase here, and in what order... looking at your setup below, you have what I am going for...  

Right now, I have an NT4 that I run into a sony MD, and I am trying to decide which to purchase first: the JB3, or a pre, in which I have been looking at the AD-20/PS-2 combo, or the UA-5;   Is your UA-5 completely portable, and do the batteries last very long?  I saw on the core sound site that they have them in a portable manner, but they seem to be a tad pricey... is it worth it for me to do that, do you think?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Peace-
Andrew
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2003, 12:18:55 PM »
Andrew check some other threads in the power section for diff options. But The cable to power my UA-5 was 14 bucks to make. (thanks Kevin) & a 6+ hour 9.6V is around 30 bucks.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2003, 12:20:47 PM »
Also that's a lot of 9V running the AD-20 & PS-2. $$$$

& Yes the UA-5 is portable.
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2003, 12:49:17 PM »
Andrew check some other threads in the power section for diff options. But The cable to power my UA-5 was 14 bucks to make. (thanks Kevin) & a 6+ hour 9.6V is around 30 bucks.

Thanks for your response - I have checked out the threads a little, but I get kinda lost with all of the jargon, and model names and stuff... almost to the point where I get even more confused... so, let me see if I am understanding what you are doing here...

You got a 9.6v power supply...  now, is this like a standard item from radio shack or something that I can buy anywhere, sort of like the battery for a cordless phone?  It's rechargable?  If it is rechargable, how do you recharge it?  When you purchased it, did it come with a dock for charging or something?

The cable to power the UA-5 - this is a cable that connects your 9.6v power supply to the regular power input (on the UA-5) that you would plug the wall wart into?

Thanks for being newbie friendly... cause I think I am pretty lost here... and I am worried, cuz if it is something like you are saying to make it portable, core-sound  raises the price from $268 for a regular UA-5 to $420 for a portable one, when it sounds like all you had to do was spend like $45 in addition to the price of a regular UA-5, and you get the same thing.  So, I am a little worried about getting taken to town for over $100 because of ignorance...

As you can see... ignorance is pervasive in my messages here!

holla.

~Andrew

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2003, 01:49:42 PM »
No need to answer my question above- I found this website, and it looks like it is what I was thinking:

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/html/DIY_EdirolUA5Power/

Thanks for you help-

~AP

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2003, 03:57:56 PM »
Yeah - that page on power is OK but it's not that tricky - no need to use 2 batteries and 2-into-1 connectors.  You can use one 3000mAh nickel metal hydride battery from batteryspace.com and that gives you enough juice for for 6 hours.  Comes with a charger for $30.  You just make up a cable to go from the existing battery connector to your UA-5.

The UA-5 has to be modified if you want to use it standalone with the JB3 - the s/pdif output to feed the jb3 doesn't function without a laptop before the modification.  That's here http://ca.geocities.com/dkleined@rogers.com/audio/
You can buy one for $250 and modify it yourself or buy one already done from Oade.  Core Sound doesn't do the standalone mod - just portable power.

If it were me, the upgrade path with what you've got would be jb3, then UA-5, then mics.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:50:07 PM by Brian Skalinder »
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.28 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com