Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newb stealth recording question  (Read 3613 times)

Offline orangetictac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
newb stealth recording question
« on: October 21, 2004, 11:17:26 PM »
If I had a JB3 and a stealth mic, would the metal detectors pick them up if I was trying to hide them? And, how do you guys hide all your mics, battries, preamps, and such?

Offline orangetictac

• Taperssection Newbie
Re: newb stealth recording question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2004, 11:23:16 PM »
Also, If I was in the middle of the pit would the JB3 still record without skipping? I would think so but you never know...

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • Needs to get out more...
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2004, 01:31:25 AM »
i heard duct tape will help you get stuff pass metal detectors...maybe line the pants with some of that, i dunno tho.

the jb3 is basically a hdd, if you shake it enuf, it'll "skip" - how much moshing do you plan on doing?

orange tic tacs are good.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2004, 12:42:18 PM »
Depends what you mean by 'pit', and what the audience are like.

My favourite position for recording is 5-10m back from the stage, however if this is the 'mosh pit', you dont want to be recording in it..believe me I've tried. Move further back, if you can.

By the way excessive heat and jolts may shut down the JB3 (at least my main machine does, I'm testing model #2 later today). It doesn't skip. Dont let this put you off; its a fine recording device, and dirt cheap.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline orangetictac

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 01:11:17 PM »
Thanks for the help guys. Its a Green Day concert and I like the moshing... Its at a place I've never been though so I'll see if I can find a good spot that isn't too bad. This all depends on if I can get a JB3 and mic before the show on Nov. 16.

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 04:49:03 AM »
please don't willingly go into a pit with your recording equip.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004, 09:47:58 AM »
My experience has been, don't try and hide the JB3. Have some headphones hooked up to it, put it in your pocket, and just be like..."it's my mp3 player". They won't think twice about it. Crotch the mics (I use a pair of biker/spandex/"compression" shorts and roll up the mics in one leg and the bat box in the other.) and have yet to set off a detector.

And like others have said, DO NOT go into the pit and mosh if you are taping. If that's your thing, cool, but you are risking damaging and loosing your gear.
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 11:07:06 AM »
And like others have said, DO NOT go into the pit and mosh if you are taping. If that's your thing, cool, but you are risking damaging and loosing your gear.

Not to mention that your recording is going to sound like crap if you're bouncing all around, and into people. You need to stay relativly still. Make sure you are as close to center as possible too. If the place is empty enough during opening acts  I try to gauge where the sweet spot is and claim my place there.

Good luck.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 12:55:45 PM »

Not to mention that your recording is going to sound like crap if you're bouncing all around, and into people. You need to stay relativly still. Make sure you are as close to center as possible too. If the place is empty enough during opening acts  I try to gauge where the sweet spot is and claim my place there.

Good luck.

MIKE B

The more "aimed" your mic patterns are, the more still you have to be.  IOW, if you have omnis, you can move around a bit more than if you have hypers.

I also agree with the others- moshing while trying to tape is not a good idea.  You could ruin your gear, and if you don't, the tape will sound like crap.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

hexyjones

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2004, 04:46:22 PM »
And, how do you guys hide all your mics, battries, preamps, and such?

You dont want to know...

(Dude these tapes...stink!)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com