Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA5 questions: Which input for board patch; What is (stock) mic preamp?  (Read 2095 times)

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
I've got a (stock) Edirol UA5.

If I get a board patch, which input should I use?  What cables would I likely need?  I could either use the front Neutrix (sp?) connectors, perhaps  an XLR or 1/4" (unbalanced?) plug, and set gain very low.  The manual states that gain goes from 0dB to 50dB.  Or I could use the back RCA jacks. Those are standard consumer (-10dB?) line level, right?  Ideally I want to use one input from the board and one input from a condenser mic.  Is this possible?

Second question: does anyone know what the stock mic preamps are?  I know it uses 4580 opamps for the mixer parts.  Does it use those for the mic preamp as well?

Thanks for any info...

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: UA5 questions: Which input for board patch; What is (stock) mic preamp?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2004, 12:50:28 PM »
welcome fellow canuck,

all the info you're after is searchable on this board but I'll give you some quick answers.

- rears are more appropriate for board feed as they provide the sometimes required attenuation.  front goes from unity to +50 with no opportunity to cut a hot signal
- most boards in the kitchener/waterloo area are just gonna have 1/4" unbalanced outputs so there is no benefit in running XLRs
- run the mic(s) to the front input, board to the rear - that way you can adjust gain on each source independently.  The output will be mixed on the fly, no chance to redo it later (unless you're doing two mono channels).
- stock opamps are 4570s

I know you were recording on md before and probably know that you won't get a digital out without modding your UA-5 but just thought I'd mention it.

david
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: UA5 questions: Which input for board patch; What is (stock) mic preamp?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 03:05:10 AM »
welcome fellow canuck,

all the info you're after is searchable on this board but I'll give you some quick answers.

- rears are more appropriate for board feed as they provide the sometimes required attenuation.  front goes from unity to +50 with no opportunity to cut a hot signal
- most boards in the kitchener/waterloo area are just gonna have 1/4" unbalanced outputs so there is no benefit in running XLRs
- run the mic(s) to the front input, board to the rear - that way you can adjust gain on each source independently.  The output will be mixed on the fly, no chance to redo it later (unless you're doing two mono channels).
- stock opamps are 4570s

Dear Dave,

Hello, and thanks for the help!

Yes, I'm currently recording to HiMD (PCM, 94min per disk).  I'm thinking of using the UA5 with a laptop for now.  Maybe later to a NJB3 or another hard drive recorder.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com