Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3... Broken?  (Read 6924 times)

Offline gsc3c

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
JB3... Broken?
« on: November 02, 2004, 04:28:03 PM »
So, my supercheap used JB3 that i bought seems to be broken (now that i got a power supply for it, to turn it on).  I plug it in, it sits there on the EAX screen for about thirty seconds, and goes into Rescue mode.  "Clean Up" happens instantaneously.  Been "Format"ing for 3 hours, and no progress.  Is the hard drive fried, and i need to install a new one?  Any other suggestions?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB3... Broken?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2004, 05:34:36 PM »
Have you tried reloading the OS?  From the FAQ:

[330] Do I need to do any regular maintenance?

It's probably a good idea to do a Format All regularly to ensure you don't run into problems like excessive fragmentation.  Instructions:

1. Remove the battery or press the reset button.
2. Either while reinserting the battery or after reset ensure that the stop button is held down.
3. As soon as the 'Creative' logo appears on the screen during the boot sequence, release the stop button. Immediately press and release the play button. The unit should boot to a diagnostics mode with several recovery options.

Those are:

[a.] Clean Up (Performs a scan disk on the HDD)
      [b.] Format All (*WARNING* ALL contents will be lost, including pre-installed content)
      [c.] Reload OS (*WARNING* THIS IS AN ADVANCED OPTION. DO NOT choose this unless you are sure of what you are doing as you could render your player unusable. You must also have a suitable firmware file on your PC for reloading via USB)
      [d.] Reboot

As best I could find, Clean Up scans the disk for errors and rebuilds the songlist index but does not perform a defrag.  The Format All does just what it sounds like: formats the drive, negating the need for an actual defrag (and good thing as there doesn't appear to be a maintenance operation to do just the defrag while maintaining your data).  Reload OS is probably overkill and you shouldn't need to do it unless you're having serious problems.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline gsc3c

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2004, 08:49:13 PM »
It's had the little "Erasing OS..." box up for 10 minutes now...

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 06:43:07 PM »
It's had the little "Erasing OS..." box up for 10 minutes now...

hmmm, erasing os, its nerver said that when ive just 'upgraded' os or for that matter had a firmware problem, which has happened a few times :P

put a paperclip in the reset hole and see what happens :)

you have to have the os on your hd alreay too, i hope you know that
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline gsc3c

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2004, 08:45:34 PM »
So, turning it on brings me to Rescue Mode after 30 seconds, paper clip or not.
Then, none of the options (except "clean up") do anything, all freeze on a window (even letting it sit for 10+hours), and i have to reset it or pull the power plug out.

And my computer won't recognize it being connected in Rescue Mode.  Actually, it just did, but i can't update the firmware because it says my batteries are low (i don't even have a battery, it's plugged into the wall).

Please, anyone?  Anyone know who to contact to fix it (somehow)?  Or was all this a pure waste of money.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2004, 08:59:46 PM by gsc3c »

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2004, 10:17:56 PM »
are you using a creative power adapter made for the jb3?
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline gsc3c

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2004, 10:19:50 PM »
Yes I am using a Creative Adaptor.

WELL I FIXED IT!!! (we'll see how long this lasts).

Fix?  Glad you asked.  Bang it real hard when it boots.  Apparently the heads got stuck.  The fix was posted in some forum somewhere (i'll dig up the link later).  Then i had to reinstall the OS via the Rescue menu, and an old firmware (the screen was backward for awhile hahah).

Phew.  Wow.

hexyjones

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2004, 10:29:36 PM »
Nice...my broken JB3 should arrive tomorrow...I hope I'm as lucky.

I paid 31 bucks for a broken unit....

hexyjones

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004, 01:38:46 PM »

My broken unit is here.....FIXED!!! We're a two JB3 family!!!!!!!!

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2004, 03:05:54 PM »

just curious - what was wrong with it?
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

hexyjones

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2004, 04:29:59 PM »

well...to be honest...I dont know.

When I got it...all it would do is turn on and freeze at the EAX screen.

Step 1. - I went into rescue mode and did a reformat, then reboot. Same...freezes at EAX.

Step 2. - I decided to connect it to my PC and try the rescue mode again. The device is not recognized by the computer. I did a Clean Up...that seemed to do nothing. I did Clean Up again (cuz my XYZ was talking...) and *poof* the device was recogized...I may have done a reformat - just for fun - after that...

Step 3. I just recorded 2 hours and 40 minutes of silence...no problems...

So...I should be good to go...I have a battery and will give it a test too...

This unit may end up being better than my current JB3...My first one is a refurb...and the battery wont charge...and it seems a bit more touchy about heat...so if the battery will charge...I'm back in the stealth scene...

Offline thoman8r

• Proud member of the reality-based community
  • Let's go Pens!
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2004, 04:46:48 PM »

well...to be honest...I dont know.

When I got it...all it would do is turn on and freeze at the EAX screen.

Step 1. - I went into rescue mode and did a reformat, then reboot. Same...freezes at EAX.

Step 2. - I decided to connect it to my PC and try the rescue mode again. The device is not recognized by the computer. I did a Clean Up...that seemed to do nothing. I did Clean Up again (cuz my XYZ was talking...) and *poof* the device was recogized...I may have done a reformat - just for fun - after that...

Step 3. I just recorded 2 hours and 40 minutes of silence...no problems...

So...I should be good to go...I have a battery and will give it a test too...

This unit may end up being better than my current JB3...My first one is a refurb...and the battery wont charge...and it seems a bit more touchy about heat...so if the battery will charge...I'm back in the stealth scene...

nice +T for the good find.
"No. Don't call me a hero. Do you know who the real heroes are? The guys who wake up every morning and go in their normal jobs and get a distress call from the commissioner and take off their glasses and change into capes and fly around fighting crime. Those are the real heroes."
- Dwight Schrute

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2004, 05:07:59 PM »
speaking of find...where is your source of messed up jb3's...any more to be had?   :P

My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2004, 05:19:18 PM »
eBay
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

hexyjones

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2004, 05:54:08 PM »
speaking of find...where is your source of messed up jb3's...any more to be had?   :P

You just have to scan ebay...there out there...this one was not listed in the nomad category and was in a lot of 4 random mp3 players...The JB3, a Lyra, a Rio S10, and another cheap ass thing...

3 of the 4 are now working fine....the Lyra and the RIO had the same problem...smashed volume switch...you have to use a toothpick on the Rio...and the Lrya - I have fixed at a nice volume...so they are still flawed...but useful...

The JB3 - 20gig...seems just fine...no problems.

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2004, 10:38:32 AM »

2  of my 3 are refurbs. The first one will charge one battery, but not the other. And last night I plugged in the newest refurb to chearge the battery for the first time and this morning it still wasn't charged. Anyone else having charging issues?
"The guy who's been dissed, dismissed and demoted so often that he should have officially changed his first name to "Backup." "

Offline nuclear_ned

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2004, 11:15:54 AM »
Mine is already fucked up.. Its giving me Firmware problem.. and it did it right in the middle of the second set of mule last night.. wtf  >:(

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2004, 11:18:41 AM »

2  of my 3 are refurbs. The first one will charge one battery, but not the other. And last night I plugged in the newest refurb to chearge the battery for the first time and this morning it still wasn't charged. Anyone else having charging issues?

Have you tried cleaningthe contacts both in the unit and on the batt proper?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2004, 11:32:47 AM »
Yeah, I did that. I just got off the phone with creative and they want me try another battery in the unit. If the second battery works they want me to just send the battery back. If it doesn't then the whole unit needs to go back...

Offline The Kilted Taper

• Real men wear kilts.
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 11:21:28 AM »
Well, apparently that was a big ol' lie. I did the test. The unit works fine with other batteries in it. It charges other batteries just fine. The suspect battery will not charge in any of the 3 units. So I call tech support back. They want me to call customer service. I do. They want the whole unit back, even with what tech support told me and the tests I did to get to the root of the problem. 30mins on the phone with them gets me no where. (of course 10-15 of those minutes were on hold). I don't want to send back the unit that works great (I used it for the Galactic shows this weekend). I just want to exchange the defective battery. Talk to a "supervisor" that sounds 12 and like he's shaking in his boots. Want to talk to his supervisor, what's his name? They aren't allowed to give out that information. Horrible customer service. It's a matter of principle now.  >:(

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.093 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com