Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MT and UA-5: Switchinig sample rate question.  (Read 1977 times)

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
MT and UA-5: Switchinig sample rate question.
« on: March 03, 2006, 02:17:35 PM »
Last night I decided to record the final act of a concert in 24/48kHz.  I already had the MT turned on and was feeding it a signal via S/PDIF so I went into the config and selected 24 bit recording, then on the UA-5 I switched the knob down to 48kHz sample rate.  The recording looks like it's 44.1kHz, though.  Could this be because I switched the sample rate without restarting the MT?  Is that necessary in order to get the MT to recognize the change?

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MT and UA-5: Switchinig sample rate question.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 02:37:19 PM »
Last night I decided to record the final act of a concert in 24/48kHz.  I already had the MT turned on and was feeding it a signal via S/PDIF so I went into the config and selected 24 bit recording, then on the UA-5 I switched the knob down to 48kHz sample rate.  The recording looks like it's 44.1kHz, though.  Could this be because I switched the sample rate without restarting the MT?  Is that necessary in order to get the MT to recognize the change?

did you turn the UA-5 off? my understanding is that it will not change the bitrate and sample rate while powered on.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »

did you turn the UA-5 off? my understanding is that it will not change the bitrate and sample rate while powered on.

This I did not know.  Thanks for the heads up and I will know in the future.

Man, last night's taping gig was full of little problems that I didn't notice until this morning.  :-\

Oh well, there's always more shows to go to, right?

Offline jtessier

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 03:04:05 PM »

This I did not know.  Thanks for the heads up and I will know in the future.

Man, last night's taping gig was full of little problems that I didn't notice until this morning.  :-\

Oh well, there's always more shows to go to, right?

I think that the MicroTrack does only set the sample rate when the record button is pressed (not 100% sure but I wouldn't trust it to switch mid stream). 

Offline bconnolly

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 03:05:15 PM »
I actually wasn't recording when the sample rate was changed.  I think it's just because I didn't restart the UA-5.

I dithered the recording to 16 bit so now it's 16/44.1kHz.  Still sounds really damn good.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com