Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)  (Read 164008 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: edirol/roland r-44 (part five)
« Reply #210 on: July 16, 2014, 12:45:54 PM »
At least these switches on the R-44 are relatively flush and can't be easily switched by accident.  Protruding phantom switches like on the DR-680 can be accidentally switched much more easily.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2014, 02:47:27 PM »
Here's an R-44 question I cannot seem to work out. Poured through the manual. Looked through the threads...

I have a 2x stereo recordings: 4 channels. I like them both. I can play any of the 4 channels back through the machine, even the stereo mix combining the 2 left and 2 right channels, but only through the headphone monitor jack.

WHen it comes to "on the fly" mixing of the channels together, is there a way to get that to happen through the digital outs and then just play the file to another stereo recorder, thus making a fast mixdown of 4>2 channels in true 24/96?
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2014, 02:54:57 PM »
The digital output mix will be the same as whatever you are sending to the headphone jack, so yes, it's entirely possible to do what you're suggesting. The only draw back to using the digital out is that you can no longer toggle the channels fed to headphone out for monitoring purposes (unless of course you're ok with the change in mix channels on the 2nd recorder.).

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2014, 04:34:16 PM »
so... anyone have a link to the firmware update procedure?    ;D

i can't find it.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »
I've done that jb63, here's a bit more detail on what hi and low posted-

If doing it on playback from the R44, you'll get individual output level control over each of the 4 channels.   If doing it 'live' while recording, the only control over individual channel levels is via the record input gains. 

You won't have control over panning in any case- channels 1 and 3 are both routed to the Left channel output, channels 2 and 4 are both routed to the Right channel output.

As hi and low mentioned, the digital output duplicates the headphone output.  The analog RCA outputs may be switched between 4 individual channel outputs or 2 pairs of stereo outputs which are duplicates of the headphone out (assuming any firmware version later than the original release).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:47:39 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2014, 04:43:41 PM »

i can't find it.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=R-44&id=1812303

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2014, 04:47:31 PM »

i can't find it.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=R-44&id=1812303

thanks.  i went from 1.05 > 1.21

i like the new zoom levels!
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2014, 04:50:41 PM »
That was fast.

Haven't done this update yet myself.  I'd still like to see a firmware update that provides panning, even if it's via the effects.

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #218 on: July 29, 2014, 05:16:13 PM »
That was fast.

Haven't done this update yet myself.  I'd still like to see a firmware update that provides panning, even if it's via the effects.

well, i had the gear out for counting crows and toad the wet sprocket tonight.  the update literally took about a minute and half total.  about 20 seconds to actually install.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »

If doing it on playback from the R44, you'll get individual output level control over each of the 4 channels.   If doing it 'live' while recording, the only control over individual channel levels is via the record input gains. 

You won't have control over panning in any case- channels 1 and 3 are both routed to the Left channel output, channels 2 and 4 are both routed to the Right channel output.

As hi and low mentioned, the digital output duplicates the headphone output.  The analog RCA outputs may be switched between 4 individual channel outputs or 2 pairs of stereo outputs which are duplicates of the headphone out (assuming any firmware version later than the original release).

Excellent!
Right now I'm struggling through how to have 2 channels input digital and 2 channels analog with phantom power.
It should be easy, right?

;-)
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2014, 08:31:04 PM »

Excellent!
Right now I'm struggling through how to have 2 channels input digital and 2 channels analog with phantom power.

;-)

You can do it, man..!
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2014, 10:31:16 PM »

Excellent!

;-)

Digi-in on the R-44 is fixed to channels 1+2. You have to use channels 3+4 for analog input. Select DIG+ANALOG on the recording settings menu. Don't have mine in front of me right now but that should set you down the right path...

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #222 on: July 30, 2014, 10:30:16 AM »

Excellent!

;-)

Digi-in on the R-44 is fixed to channels 1+2. You have to use channels 3+4 for analog input. Select DIG+ANALOG on the recording settings menu. Don't have mine in front of me right now but that should set you down the right path...

and any time you change the recording config remember to confirm you go back to "Stereo x 2" or whatever you need. It defaults to "Stereo x 1". this takes a while to notice at first and will drive you nuts when you think you have it setup to do both digi and analog. Otherwise it really is that easy. Digi for 1+2 and use Analog for 3+4 and Stereo x 2 (total of four channels) and you're in good shape.
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #223 on: July 30, 2014, 02:08:04 PM »
You can also use the monox4 option, which I find easier to load and use in wave editor...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2014, 02:25:39 PM »
You can also use the monox4 option, which I find easier to load and use in wave editor...

Is that option available when using the digital input?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.198 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com