Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: xACT 2.0  (Read 29712 times)

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
xACT 2.0
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:09:13 PM »
xACT 2.0 
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14246/xact

-rewritten entirely from scratch in Objective C
-many bug fixes
-updated UI, new icons
-added auto-update via Sparkle
-multithreaded - can execute multiple tasks at once (see application preferences to set the number of threads). Dock icon will show number of tasks in queue.
-can cancel tasks already in progress
-progress bars for most tasks
-option to specify the format of custom "by disc" and "fileset" shntool len output text (see application preferences)
-tags tab can now tag FLAC and M4A (aac, Apple Lossless) files
-converting flac > Apple Lossless will now copy Flac tags to the Apple Lossless files
-splitting tracks from a CUE sheet will now rename tracks based on TITLE info in the cue sheet
-updated shntool to 3.0.10
-updated wavpack to 4.60.1
-updated ttaenc to 3.4.1
-updated cdda2wav to 3.0
-"fix" option will now process files even if they need no fixing
-user can drop a directory on a file list or dock icon to process all of the known file types in the directory and subdirectories
-added shntool "pad" and "strip" functions
-added ability to add or remove Flac Replay Gain (Util tab)
-added ability to trim characters from beginning or end of lines when entering track names
-Checksum files can be saved in source directory.
- Requires Mac OS X 10.6 or higher and Intel processor

huge thanks to greenone for helping test
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:38:03 AM by scb »

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
Re: xACT 2.0
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »
 :coolguy:

Offline greenone

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:48:28 PM »
I love this release...multithreading is absolutely huge. And thanks to Scott for tolerating my constant pesters for the ability to custom-format the shntool len output. ;D
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:04:54 PM »
thanks to dave for telling me all the ways i screwed things up :)

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 08:05:30 AM »
the ability to custom-format the shntool len output.

This is great although I have to admit I was hoping for the ability to leave off the milliseconds as my track markers are always placed on the second. So I'll still have to go and delete the ":00" by hand but I'm happy now I won't have to add the [brackets] by hand!

(i.e. 1:00 vs. 1:00:00)

Offline scb

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 09:13:50 AM »
the ability to custom-format the shntool len output.

This is great although I have to admit I was hoping for the ability to leave off the milliseconds as my track markers are always placed on the second.
(i.e. 1:00 vs. 1:00:00)

really?  that always works out for you?

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:46:31 AM »
really?  that always works out for you?

Yes. I've been processing this way for ~ 5 years now and I've never a problem with it. I use Sound Studio, set the grid to 1 second, snap to grid, and add markers. The tracks always align on sector boundaries (since each second is on a boundary) so I eliminate that step as well.

I realize this is probably too highly specialized of an issue for you to deal with so that's why I never mentioned it. I'd be seriously surprised if anyone else processed shows the way I do even though I've posted about it before. It's the absolute quickest and easiest workflow I've ever used.

I still do greatly appreciate your time and energy that you put into this software!

Offline scb

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 09:58:46 AM »
it works even for bands that do a lot of songs flowing into each other? you never have a track split that seems a half second too soon or too late? 

it's not a hard thing to implement.  I just never thought of doing it...

Offline Əkoostikal

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • One of these days....
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

damn...  :(
BONGWATER via Etree:

"Phil Keeps on growing, never even slowing, never really knowing all of the minds he's really blowing!!!!!"

Offline scb

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 01:16:30 PM »

sorry.  some of the things I used in the code are 10.6 only...

Offline krsb

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 04:38:40 AM »
Great stuff - a great program becomes even better - the multithreading is sweet!

many thanks for all your hard work.
cb
Busman BCS1, Busman BSCS-L, DPA 4023, Neumann KM 184, KM 183
Lunatec V3, Naiant Midbox
Oade ACM Marantz PMD 661, Sony D50, Tascam DR680
+ lotsa darktrain cables :-)

Offline ArchivalAudio

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Teams Milab | MBHO | TeamVW:2011 Touareg TDI
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 11:40:19 PM »
Awesome!
as usual
xACT Rocks!
~ Archival Audio ~
Archiving Worthy Music
since 1986 & digitally since 1995

https://www.facebook.com/ArchivalAudio/

Main Mics: Milab VM-44 Links • Milab DC-196's (Matched  Pair)  • MBHO KA500 or KA300 •
PreAmps:  BaybNbox  • Naiant LittleBox • Naiant [Milab VM44] TinyBox • Naiant PIPsqueak
Recorders: MixPre 10T •  Tascam DR-100 mkIII • Sony A-10 • Sony M-10 

macMini 3Ghz i7 16GB Ram 500GB SSD • MOTU UltraLite
Naiant MSH-2's •   TOA K1's • Beyer TG 153c's •  AT 853 (4.7kmod darktrain) • Countryman B3's (1 k mod)  + other assorted mics

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 11:58:27 AM »
Definitely faster, and it now converts the FLAC tags to MP3s completey (used to chop off longer titles)....  Also love the "Queue" that it shows now so one knows how much progress has been made.  Thanks so much!
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline fleish

• I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2010, 01:26:43 PM »
I've personally never worried about SBE & don't know that I'd notice a CD plagued by it. 1/75th of a second? I say meh :)

Used xact 2.0 for the first time the other day to rip flac24->mp3 for someone at work. Freaking awesome stuff Scott!
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline greenone

• Russian mics... strong like bull...
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 10:03:44 PM »
I've personally never worried about SBE & don't know that I'd notice a CD plagued by it. 1/75th of a second? I say meh :)

Used xact 2.0 for the first time the other day to rip flac24->mp3 for someone at work. Freaking awesome stuff Scott!

Blasphemy! And blasphemy again! Time to turn in your lossless audio badge and gun, sir. :P
Unofficial Blues Traveler archivist - glad to work on any BT or related recordings
archive.org admin - happy to upload tracked material to the LMA

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2010, 10:57:29 PM »
Thanks, Scott!
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline fleish

• I've been safariing since before you were born
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 12:33:54 AM »

Blasphemy! And blasphemy again! Time to turn in your lossless audio badge and gun, sir. :P

Yeah, but I mean who really has the time to try and explain lossless audio & all things not-iTunes to a marketing person? :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMgeXLJ0lc
Mics: AT853, MC930, AK40/AK50 > LC3 > KM100, ADK TL51
Cables: Audio Magic XStream silver, Kind Kables, Zaolla M1.5
Decks: D8, Busman Hybrid R4

My LMA tapes: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Todd+Fleisher%22

My LMA transfers: http://archive.org/search.php?query=-taper%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29%20AND%20transferer%3A%28Todd%20Fleisher%29

My LMA uploads: http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Aetree%20AND%20uploader%3A%28todd%40fleish.org%29

Awesome. David said you were like The Wolf in Pulp Fiction. Shows up just in time with tons of gear, does a pro job, and disappears into the night! :-)

Offline scb

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 09:29:29 AM »

it all depends on your player.  some players make an audible click between tracks if they're not cut on sector boundaries.  you'd notice that...

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • The Dude abides...
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »

it all depends on your player.  some players make an audible click between tracks if they're not cut on sector boundaries.  you'd notice that...

True that.  Both my work computer and the stereo in my truck make the audible click if I somehow miss and sbe.  I use the "snap to" function in Audacity now, though, so no sbe problem any longer either way.  Still always check for sbe just out of habit.
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2010, 01:31:37 PM »
Yeah yeah yeah. . . I'm building an intel Hackintosh, so I'll get to enjoy 2.0 soon enough.  :'(

Oh, you WOULD notice if you heard one.
I always thought it depended more on the burning software. I've never once noticed an SBE with orangebook CD's burned in Toast.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline scb

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
Toast automatically fixes errors when burning and has for years.  but it'll also pad the last track with zeros

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/14246/xact

link seems to be dead, does anyone have a better link? thanks
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline scb

« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2010, 06:57:23 PM »
i just put in a new update in the past 5 minutes.  maybe they took it down?

i'll PM you

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2010, 07:15:59 PM »

my thoughts as well...........................

Offline morst

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 11:35:14 PM »
Toast automatically fixes errors when burning and has for years.  but it'll also pad the last track with zeros
Ok, that makes perfect sense. Then you just have to watch out for the SBE at each disc change of a ripped fileset burnt with toast. That would be the only place it would be noticeable. Point being, it's easy enough to use xACT to do the job on the whole fileset at once;D

edit italicized
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 09:21:56 PM by morst »

Offline Moka17

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 05:11:59 AM »
thanks to the developper

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2011, 12:01:52 PM »
I just noticed 2 things (xACT 2.06):

1. When encoding to FLAC and with the "Delete original files" box checked, the files are actually deleted completely from the hard drive. In previous versions the files would just be moved to the Trash Bin. Is it possible to change this back so it just moves the files to the Trash Bin?

2. It says "Delete original files after decode" on both the decode and encode tabs.

Offline darby

• Trade Count: (108)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Support artists and venues that allow recording
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2011, 12:27:13 PM »

1. When encoding to FLAC and with the "Delete original files" box checked, the files are actually deleted completely from the hard drive.
In previous versions the files would just be moved to the Trash Bin.
Is it possible to change this back so it just moves the files to the Trash Bin?

I kind of like that feature myself

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 11:54:02 PM »

1. When encoding to FLAC and with the "Delete original files" box checked, the files are actually deleted completely from the hard drive.
In previous versions the files would just be moved to the Trash Bin.
Is it possible to change this back so it just moves the files to the Trash Bin?

I kind of like that feature myself

Fair enough. I can understand why. I was just used to the old way and the built in "idiot proofing"....I guess I just need to be more careful!

Offline scb

« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2011, 10:55:08 AM »

1. When encoding to FLAC and with the "Delete original files" box checked, the files are actually deleted completely from the hard drive. In previous versions the files would just be moved to the Trash Bin. Is it possible to change this back so it just moves the files to the Trash Bin?

Just going from memory here, but I think that was a really old version that just moved files to the trash.  I had a bunch of people complain that they thought files were being deleted when they were just in the trash.  They bitched at me saying I was killing their hard drive space.  So I changed it to delete the files.

Offline ashevillain

« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2011, 12:03:40 PM »
It was like that in 1.69 for sure. I think that may have been the most recent version I was using until I upgraded to 2.0.

I guess you aren't going to change it back which is fine...I'll deal with it. But I don't see how someone could not know the files were going to the Trash Bin. It even made the sound effect when it happened. "killing their hard drive space" ??? :lol: That's a little dramatic...

Thanks for your reply about this though!

Offline scb

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2011, 11:07:20 PM »
you're right...1.69 moved to the trash

I guess I'll at least put the warning "are you sure?" message back in when you have the delete option checked

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2011, 11:35:40 PM »
Scott, is source code available? I kinda want to see if I can compile in linux just for giggles.

In all likelihood, I'll play around for an hour or 2, get all pissed off and scrap the idea.

But I still usually learn a thing or 2 in the process.  ;D

Offline scb

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2011, 07:24:27 AM »
it relies heavily on os x stuff.  I don't know how you'd get it working in linux without just starting from scratch

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2011, 10:45:09 AM »
Gotcha. Thanks though.

Offline morst

« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2011, 01:04:38 PM »
you're right...1.69 moved to the trash

I guess I'll at least put the warning "are you sure?" message back in when you have the delete option checked
I think even 1.71 moved 'em to the trash.

Yeah, the "are you sure" seems a little annoying, but I'd rather be safe. I guess you could make it a preference, to ask or not, but that's more work too.

Offline scb

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2011, 08:55:51 AM »
"yes" would be the default, so a quick hit of enter/return will proceed

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »
I was hoping for a feature that parses the txt file, adding tracknumber, artist, date, song to the flac fileset. also has the ability to add/create other tags like album and comment. the ability to edit/create tags and to add album/cover art automatically (if the proper sized jpg was present in the folder) would be sweet, too.

thx for asking.

There is already a feature 'Load track names from file' located in the File Menu.
this option ("load track names from file") is greyed out. what am i doing wrong..? (v 2.20)

thx.
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline scb

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2012, 08:48:32 AM »
it's only relevant to the filenames window, so it's only active when that window is open

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2012, 11:12:01 AM »
I am confused. what is the file names window?
-macdaddy ++

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2012, 02:16:23 PM »
is there a way to generate .ffp from the fix sbe tab??
I know you can generate from the encode tab and that you can generate .md5 from fix sbe
not that it takes more then 30 sec to do but sometimes i'm lazy
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline scb

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
I am confused. what is the file names window?

the one you enter track names in (from the shntool len "names" button, or the "autoname" checkbox on the tags tab)

Offline scb

« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »
I know you can generate from the encode tab and that you can generate .md5 from fix sbe

I can add that

Offline scb

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2012, 12:27:11 PM »

I can add that

had a little time yesterday to do this.  I can probably give you a version to test this weekend

Offline willndmb

« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2012, 03:07:25 PM »

I can add that

had a little time yesterday to do this.  I can probably give you a version to test this weekend
Cool
Thanks
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2013, 01:59:28 PM »
thx again for the program-it makes what we do very easy on the apple platform...

three requests, if i may be so bold...

1-can you make it so the checksums can be done recursively..? tlh does this, for example. I ask because when doing four channels with the r-44, the machine names ch1-2 wav "1" and ch 3-4 wav "2" and then puts these into directories; every time the wav splits at 2gigs, the r-44 creates a new directory, and drops the 1.wav and 2.wav files in. when recording two sets at 24/96, this makes at least four directories. so I then have to make st5 files four+ times from the card on the r-44, and then check each one seperately from the hard drive. if the checksums were made recursively, I could make one checksum (dragging all pjt dirs in at once), save it to the parent dir on the hd, and the just run that same checksum once to check the transfer went correctly. I tried doing this, but all the checksums showed the same, so I think it just ran the first set of wavs four times...

2-is there a way to add replaygain for 24 bit files? I get an error when I try to add replaygain to those files now...

3-is there a way to view tags, and subsequently add/edit them..?

thanks so much for reading. like I said, the program is an indespensible tool for the apple platform.

now, if I can just find a way to make my txt files format line returns properly, without having to open them on windows wordpad and then saving, i would be done with windows forever...
-macdaddy ++

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2013, 02:52:33 PM »

Select the tags tab and drop a file in the area there, the tags show up (at least it does on mine; v2.21)

now, if I can just find a way to make my txt files format line returns properly, without having to open them on windows wordpad and then saving, i would be done with windows forever...

look into a converter app. You're not the first person to run into that.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2013, 03:40:31 PM »

Select the tags tab and drop a file in the area there, the tags show up (at least it does on mine; v2.21)

look into a converter app. You're not the first person to run into that.

Textedit works fine with a twist. If you start from scratch it wants you to save as rtf, but if you open a txt you can rename it etc. and it will still stay txt. So I just open the last one I used, make changes, rename and it works fine. LMA never recognized my MS Office txt files, but ones made this way work perfectly.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:42:32 PM by bryonsos »
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline willndmb

« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2013, 10:02:53 PM »
goto textedit prefs and you can change it to save as .txt (plain text) instead of .rtf (rich)

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2013, 11:33:54 PM »
goto textedit prefs and you can change it to save as .txt (plain text) instead of .rtf (rich)
i have done this, but it still doesn't fix the line return issue...
-macdaddy ++

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 09:38:51 AM »

Good to know, thanks!

i have done this, but it still doesn't fix the line return issue...

My workaround should still work though. It actually makes life a little easier in a way, since I don't have to recreate the overall layout or source and lineage info. Just open one that you know uses correct returns, and that LMA recognizes for importing the metadata and edit.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 09:44:48 AM by bryonsos »
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 11:59:18 AM »
I get it, and thanks. And I have done this in the past. this issue affects the checksums made by xact, too (which is why I mentioned it in this thread). i wish there was a setting somewhere in osx to properly rectify this in both this program and textedit, but I guess there isn't. Thx for the suggested workaround-I will implement it more frequently, as it seems to be the only option atm.

+t
-macdaddy ++

Offline scb

« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 06:52:12 PM »
thx again for the program-it makes what we do very easy on the apple platform...

three requests, if i may be so bold...

1-can you make it so the checksums can be done recursively..? tlh does this, for example. I ask because when doing four channels with the r-44, the machine names ch1-2 wav "1" and ch 3-4 wav "2" and then puts these into directories; every time the wav splits at 2gigs, the r-44 creates a new directory, and drops the 1.wav and 2.wav files in. when recording two sets at 24/96, this makes at least four directories. so I then have to make st5 files four+ times from the card on the r-44, and then check each one seperately from the hard drive. if the checksums were made recursively, I could make one checksum (dragging all pjt dirs in at once), save it to the parent dir on the hd, and the just run that same checksum once to check the transfer went correctly. I tried doing this, but all the checksums showed the same, so I think it just ran the first set of wavs four times...

2-is there a way to add replaygain for 24 bit files? I get an error when I try to add replaygain to those files now...

thanks so much for reading. like I said, the program is an indespensible tool for the apple platform.

1 - are you saying have files from multiple directories in 1 md5/stf/flac fingerprint?  Is that "standard?"  I've never seen directory names in these files, but maybe I'm totally wrong about this

2- flac documentation:
--replay-gain    Calculate ReplayGain values and store them as FLAC tags, similar to VorbisGain. Title gains/peaks will be computed for each input file, and an album gain/peak will be computed for all files. All input files must have the same resolution, sample rate, and number of channels. Only mono and stereo files are allowed, and the sample rate must be one of 8, 11.025, 12, 16, 22.05, 24, 32, 44.1, or 48 kHz. Also note that this option may leave a few extra bytes in a PADDING block as the exact size of the tags is not known until all files are processed.

Note that this option cannot be used when encoding to standard output (stdout).

3 - Page covered this

Offline nardo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • The Comatorium - The Mars Volta News
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2013, 08:11:44 AM »
In my experience, if you do Shift+Return as opposed to just Return for linebreaks, you get the "Windows-linebreak" on a Mac. It's how I do most of my .txt files for shows because otherwise there are no linebreaks in the info fields if I upload to torrent sites like Dime.

Otherwise, as I think I recommended in another topic before (at least I planned on doing so), there is the editor Smultron which is freeware up until version 3.5.1, it let's you chose your standard linebreak (Unix LF, Mac CR, Windows CRLF).

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 03:49:13 AM »
Xact 2.23

Am I missing the setting to decide what format CDs are extracted to..? Is there a way to set it to rip a cd to mp3, and specify the encoding setting..?

Thx
-macdaddy ++

Offline scb

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 07:27:47 AM »
it's just wav.  I would love to remove the cd ripping code from xACT, but it's probably too late. I put it in years ago when there wasn't another cdparanoia alternative for OS X. It was always a horrible hack but it worked for basic extraction.

But even I don't use it.  I use XLD for extraction since he uses the latest paranoia libraries and even wrote his own paranoia/eac like extraction

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 09:46:27 AM »
I use XLD for extraction since he uses the latest paranoia libraries and even wrote his own paranoia/eac like extraction

qft
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 09:49:58 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am a relative Mac OS n00b-either of you have a link to the developer site..? Thanks, in advance.
-macdaddy ++

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2013, 09:52:13 AM »
Thanks for the info. I am a relative Mac OS n00b-either of you have a link to the developer site..? Thanks, in advance.

download link:
https://code.google.com/p/xld/

left hand side of that is a link to their homepage;
http://tmkk.undo.jp/xld/index_e.html

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2013, 05:21:12 PM »
+t

Thanks so much. I have a stack of discs to rip, including a few double disc sets, so I will get cracking with this new (to me) program this weekend. I appreciate the help, and i am sorry to have bombed your xact thread, scb.

-macdaddy ++

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2016, 10:53:08 PM »
Me again.

Any chance we can implement a write with replay gain output, specifically track gain..? Used to do this with Fb2k, but I have been mac only for years...

Trying to make a mix and to be able to load a track in to the window and have the output be a wav file with replaygain- track gain applied.

Many thanks.
-macdaddy ++

Offline scb

« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2016, 09:23:46 AM »
Me again.

Any chance we can implement a write with replay gain output, specifically track gain..? Used to do this with Fb2k, but I have been mac only for years...

Trying to make a mix and to be able to load a track in to the window and have the output be a wav file with replaygain- track gain applied.

Many thanks.

Does the "add flac replay gain" in the util tab not do what you need?

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2016, 09:29:09 PM »
Thanks for getting back to me. No, it does not because it simply adds the info to the metadata, which is what we want in most cases...

But to make a mix of various sources, I would like to add track gain, and then write a wav file with the gain applied, not simply write a flag with the metadata included...

Thanks.
-macdaddy ++

Offline scb

« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2016, 09:32:56 AM »
so you want the files processed with actual gain increases? i guess i could add that to the list

Offline morst

« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2016, 08:34:40 PM »
so you want the files processed with actual gain increases? i guess i could add that to the list
A linear calculation to raise levels to a selectable threshold would be cool. Maybe I want to max at -0.0, maybe -0.1, maybe -0.2!?? This could replace the "normalize" step in some folks' workflow. It could also be useful when converting older filesets to a favorite jukebox filetype. (e.g. convert to aac128 and set max levels at -0.2!?)

I <3 xACT!

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2016, 11:51:58 PM »
yes. With the track gain, not album gain...

Thanks so much!
-macdaddy ++

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2016, 08:11:36 PM »
yes. With the track gain, not album gain...

Thanks so much!

Bump.

I actually just used home brew to install flac and i can do this from the terminal window / command line using the "apply replay gain which is not lossless" command.

Sorry to have bothered you, and Again, thank you very much.
-macdaddy ++

Offline morst

« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2018, 05:41:46 PM »
Hello Scott! I would like to bump this topic because I have a feature request.

Could you please implement something like rsync so that I can use xACT to securely move files from my sd card, with verification?

Thanks for all the great work! For reference, I'm currently on xACT v2.44, under Yosemite, or perhaps I'll try my High Sierra install if I have to.

This is why I have started making MD5 checksums on the original files on the SD cards. If a FLAC operation could go wrong, so could a file transfer (copy).

You know, those files on your hard drive are COPIES of the masters, unless you are saving the SD cards or something!?

To be truly paranoid, I would want to run the checksum operation twice on the original to be sure that THOSE are the same.

My reasoning ,no matter how perfect it  is  (flac) I’d prefer the wav vs flac. Flac is compression ,and things *can go wrong*  would you rather have a dat master Or a dat clone? They are identical but most people would choose the master I think.

Offline scb

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2018, 03:47:30 PM »
Hello Scott! I would like to bump this topic because I have a feature request.

Could you please implement something like rsync so that I can use xACT to securely move files from my sd card, with verification?

Thanks for all the great work! For reference, I'm currently on xACT v2.44, under Yosemite, or perhaps I'll try my High Sierra install if I have to.

This is why I have started making MD5 checksums on the original files on the SD cards. If a FLAC operation could go wrong, so could a file transfer (copy).

You know, those files on your hard drive are COPIES of the masters, unless you are saving the SD cards or something!?

To be truly paranoid, I would want to run the checksum operation twice on the original to be sure that THOSE are the same.

My reasoning ,no matter how perfect it  is  (flac) I’d prefer the wav vs flac. Flac is compression ,and things *can go wrong*  would you rather have a dat master Or a dat clone? They are identical but most people would choose the master I think.

You basically want an rsync wrapper to choose a file or files to read and a location to copy to?

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2018, 04:14:14 PM »
Nothing to add, except thank you.

music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2018, 10:45:36 PM »
Nothing to add, except thank you.

yup. I use it every day.

+t
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline relefunt

• Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2018, 11:52:04 PM »
I use it almost every day and I am so glad it exists. On my blog I always link to the download page.
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline morst

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2018, 01:21:40 AM »
You basically want an rsync wrapper to choose a file or files to read and a location to copy to?
Yes, please!

"rsync" would probably be it's own new tab, and have radio button check box options for the user to control a few of the key flags? (recursion, delete original, etc)

The main thing I'd be looking for is some sort of verification feature, but the rsync manual page seems to indicate that rsync does what I would want as a matter of course!
"rsync always verifies that each transferred file was correctly reconstructed on the receiving side by checking a whole-file checksum that is generated as the file is transferred"

I guess it would be cool to spit out the stats in a new window, in case the user wanted to copy them down or save them.

xACT is already indispensible, but this would be a very handy feature for me. Thanks!!

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2018, 04:29:37 PM »
Crucial app.

Adding my appreciation.

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2018, 06:06:59 PM »

Offline scb

« Reply #75 on: June 18, 2018, 03:10:44 PM »
Yes, please!

"rsync" would probably be it's own new tab, and have radio button check box options for the user to control a few of the key flags? (recursion, delete original, etc)

The main thing I'd be looking for is some sort of verification feature, but the rsync manual page seems to indicate that rsync does what I would want as a matter of course!
"rsync always verifies that each transferred file was correctly reconstructed on the receiving side by checking a whole-file checksum that is generated as the file is transferred"

I guess it would be cool to spit out the stats in a new window, in case the user wanted to copy them down or save them.

xACT is already indispensible, but this would be a very handy feature for me. Thanks!!

Ok, I'll look into how much work it would be.

I have a *lot* less time to work on it these days, and often when I do get some time, I'd rather relax and do nothing. That's what 4 kids does I guess.

But I should get some time in a few weeks when I'm home alone for a week to try to fix some old stuff and put some new stuff in. I may even go tape a show then!

Offline morst

« Reply #76 on: June 18, 2018, 11:29:42 PM »
I may even go tape a show then!
Oh, I can make random requests all day. I would MUCH rather you went and taped a show and had some relaxing fun and let me copy my own dang files! I can tweeze rsync if I really don't trust Mac OS to copy some files!?

So, speaking of random requests, how weird would it be to have a preference option to allow the user to choose upper or lower case file extensions?

PS thanks for v2.45, with the staying in the background thing! That's a nice help.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2018, 04:39:03 PM »
One thing that always annoys me a bit is that when tagging, xAct can't remember the "previous tags" between program restarts. Every time I start the program, I have to re-enter everything. Scott, can't you make it persist the last tag?
Other than that, I love xAct!

Offline scb

« Reply #78 on: July 06, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »
So, speaking of random requests, how weird would it be to have a preference option to allow the user to choose upper or lower case file extensions?

you want to globally choose to output lower or upper? That sounds easy. Do people really want upper case extensions?

One thing that always annoys me a bit is that when tagging, xAct can't remember the "previous tags" between program restarts. Every time I start the program, I have to re-enter everything. Scott, can't you make it persist the last tag?
Other than that, I love xAct!

I can look into that.

Offline morst

« Reply #79 on: July 06, 2018, 09:50:45 AM »

you want to globally choose to output lower or upper? That sounds easy. Do people really want upper case extensions?
I do. My recorders use upper case and it never occurred to me to use lower!?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.238 seconds with 108 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com