Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: what cable do i need for DR-2d>Galaxy S3 for streaming?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
what cable do i need for DR-2d>Galaxy S3 for streaming?
« on: April 09, 2015, 01:31:39 PM »
The DR-2d is TRS and the Galaxy S3 is TRRS. I have a KV connections -25db line level cable adapter ive used for SBD to iPad to stream in the past but it doesnt work coming from the DR-2d into the Galaxy S3? any recommendations?
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: what cable do i need for DR-2d>Galaxy S3 for streaming?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 08:46:18 AM »
Are you trying to use the Galaxy S3 as a recording device?  It is possible, but only in mono mode and you'll probably need to build your own cable.  The extra ring on the Samsung (and most other androids) has multiple purposes.  By shunting it to ground with various resistances, it is able to act as a mic-in, or as control line for playback.

Just found this (for S4, but I think they are the same):

http://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s4/334540-galaxy-s4-headset-mic-button-wiring-schematic-pinout.html

Offline greenmtnsrider

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • My Shows
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2015, 02:53:07 PM »
No, I wouldnt use the S3 for recording, i would run line out of the DR-2d into the S3 to stream via my 4G connection or WIFI if applicable. Like I said above, I've run a -25db adapter cable into an iPad before without issue but I think the signal coming out of the DR-2d is so quiet it just kills the signal going into the phone and thus the stream sounds horrible. Im thinking I may need a mic level adapter to get this right?
Mics: Schoeps CMC6/mk4| AKG C414b XLII/ST| AKG c460b/ck61| AKG se300B/Ck91, Ck92, Ck93| Church Audio CA-14 (C/O)| Tascam iM2
Preamps: Lunatec V2| Shure FP24| Naiant PIPsqueak
Decks: Sound Devices Mixpre10t| Tascam Portacapture X8| Tascam DR-70d| Tascam DR-2D
Cables: GAKables XLR

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 06:03:42 PM »
I have a Galaxy Tab 3 (not a phone) with a data plan. My first attempts to stream with it were horrendous, until I bought an app called SoundAbout Pro, which gave me better control of the tablets audio preferences and volume. I wonder if that would help in your case.

I haven't tried tapping off the DR-2d line out while recording before, and didn't realize it was possible until I read your post and tried it out. The level of the line out can be controlled via the OUTPUT toggle switch. I'm not sure about the MONITOR menu settings; a signal is present from the line out when in record/or pause whenthe monitor is set to off, but when it is set to on I get a signal even when not in record mode.

The few times I have streamed via my Tab 3, I have run rca out of a DR-680 (2 mics and mono sbd) into a passive mixer, and out of that (eta: via the adapter linked in my reply below) to the tablet's TRRS input. I will try streaming from a DR-2d tonight (if I get internet where I'm going) and see if I can add more to this conversation.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 08:00:46 AM by danny3 »

Offline danny3

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 01:32:15 AM »
No luck tonight with internet, although I did run CA-14c > CA 9200 > DR-2d, and line out from the DR-2d into a DR-680 to capture what that sounded like. (just home now and no verdict yet about levels/quality)

I think the issue is connectivity - here is a link to one product that I have used successfuly (there are many variations on the theme of going from TRS stereo to TRRS.)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CPEZ4J6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

I believe that the TRRS input only provides a mono input (it is designed for wired headset, with stereo output but mono mic input) The popular app mixlr only streams mono. I have used a TRRS male to three male rca cable (white/red/yellow) and found that the red will supply the signal via the trrs.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com