Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Advantages of using XLR-1 with Sony D50 over PS2?  (Read 6508 times)

Offline (Evan)

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Advantages of using XLR-1 with Sony D50 over PS2?
« on: March 07, 2009, 07:50:33 PM »
Can anyone tell me if there would be any big reason to go with the Sony XLR-1 to use phantom powered mics with my D50, vs using a Denecke PS-2 with miniplug output? Any differences in sound quality? The price of the PS-2 is just so much more reasonable than the XLR-1. Thanks

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Advantages of using XLR-1 with Sony D50 over PS2?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 08:15:55 PM »
PS-2 owners will answer your question directly, but don't even think of buying an XLR-1. For the same money or less you could get something like a used SD MixPre or Wendt X-2 and have a great Mixer/Preamp instead of just a phantom power unit. My guess is that people will say that the XLR-1 is no better than the PS-2, but even if it's better it certainly isn't worth the asking price.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:22:36 PM by fmaderjr »
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 11:20:20 PM »
Thanks for the info. Although the two preamps you mentioned are too big. I'm looking for something that I can fit in my pocket. Anyone else have opinions on the PS-2?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:24:15 AM by (Evan) »

Offline xpander

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 07:50:56 AM »
No big reasons, but maybe something to think about.

XLR-1 uses AAs, same batteries as D50. It's convenient when you don't have to carry different types...especially so if/when you are thinking about rechargeables and having to carry the chargers with you (traveling field work).

Denecke PS-2s operating time at 48V, 10mA per channel load has been tested to be 18 minutes. Users can probably give more accurate real life figures with different mics, manual states 4-38 hours depending on load. XLR-1 works for few hours, manual states 40 hrs for a 2mA/mic load.

XLR-1 uses good quality audio transformers for unbalancing the signal, the only proper way to do it. The audio circuit is passive. PS-2 has electronics to do the same.

XLR-1 mounts directly to the main unit couple of different ways if needed. Might be too big package anyway, unless you have large pockets. PS-2 is a separate box with no direct mounting, if not modified.

For me XLR-1 wins in almost every aspect. Comparing to the specs and prices of real pre-amps is not quite fair. Not to say that something like MixPre wouldn't be a nice companion to D50, quite contrary. But USED MixPre vs. USED XLR-1 would be more fair anyway, right?

If you need more clean and quiet preamp gain for quiet sources, none of the batteryboxes will do. If not, XLR-1 is better suited for D50 than any of the others, imho. You can prove me wrong, offering me the same specs and form with less price. DIY will do fine, been doing it for ages myself. I can tell you, this nut isn't that easy to crack though, not for cheap. ;D

Offline (Evan)

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2009, 03:00:43 PM »
Denecke PS-2s operating time at 48V, 10mA per channel load has been tested to be 18 minutes.

18 minutes!? What's the use of that???

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »
Denecke PS-2s operating time at 48V, 10mA per channel load has been tested to be 18 minutes.

18 minutes!? What's the use of that???

well, the 10mA current draw is the max allowed in the phantom power spec.  the vast majority of mics draw far less current, therefore extending the life of each battery.  When I used a PS-2 with a pair of AKG 391's, I think I got somewhere in the 2-3 hour range for each 9V battery.

Offline xpander

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2009, 03:59:13 PM »
Yep, few hours would be reasonable. Not many will do any better, and not many will do proper 48 volts either. Not that it would necessarily matter, depends on the mics used.

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 04:05:39 PM »
No big reasons, but maybe something to think about.

XLR-1 uses good quality audio transformers for unbalancing the signal, the only proper way to do it. The audio circuit is passive. PS-2 has electronics to do the same.

I strongly disagree that a transformer is the only proper way to unbalance a signal.  ;)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline sunjan

• Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »
Thanks for the info. Although the two preamps you mentioned are too big. I'm looking for something that I can fit in my pocket. Anyone else have opinions on the PS-2?

I'm with fmaderjr on this one. If preamps are to big for you, just go for the PS2. It has been tried and tested many years here on TS.com, and given reliable results.

I found a very good thread about the pros/cons of the XLR-1:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/all-things-audio/134700-sony-xlr-1-adaptor-pcm-d50-d1.html

One of the posters had a very valid point. The combined size of the D50+XLR1 is about the same as a FR2LE, which has a better feature set and price. So if you intend to use the two units together all the time, you might as well get an all-in-one.
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline xpander

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2009, 05:02:43 PM »
Ha, I'm glad you caught that one Chris. What if I would rather say, the only proper passive way, as I was going to but got mixed up in my own clever response?  :-X

I was considering AS1340 as a DC converter. Small and pretty efficient. Couple of Lundahls and Neutrik jacks, sturdy aluminium case. Yea, I do need transformers, since my active designs are way too big for this kind of app. For about 140 USD, without the manufactured PCB or any work, just parts.

Btw. Chris, you have PIP boxes if I understood right...I quess P48 is out of question, and not needed anyway with the mics you have?

Sunjan, thanks for the link! Lost that one last year, just as I was planning similar stuff.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 05:15:37 PM by xpander »

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2009, 06:48:05 PM »
Ha, I'm glad you caught that one Chris. What if I would rather say, the only proper passive way, as I was going to but got mixed up in my own clever response?  :-X

I was considering AS1340 as a DC converter. Small and pretty efficient. Couple of Lundahls and Neutrik jacks, sturdy aluminium case. Yea, I do need transformers, since my active designs are way too big for this kind of app. For about 140 USD, without the manufactured PCB or any work, just parts.

Btw. Chris, you have PIP boxes if I understood right...I quess P48 is out of question, and not needed anyway with the mics you have?

Sunjan, thanks for the link! Lost that one last year, just as I was planning similar stuff.

48V is coming one of these days soon. And when it does its going to be great.  ;)
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline xpander

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 09:59:19 AM »
48V is coming one of these days soon. And when it does its going to be great.  ;)

Ah, this sounds promising. I'm in no hurry with mine and new options seem to pop up every now and then, so maybe I'll wait some more.

Offline JM Charcot

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 05:53:40 AM »

Excellent news, is "soon" more likely weeks or months?

Kind regards,

JM.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.335 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com