Gear / Technical Help > Home Theatre & HDTV

Who's got a ROKU??

(1/9) > >>

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):

Just picked up a Ruku HD (came in the mail today).

I got it mostly to watch MLB.TV on the HDTV, and I've got to say....FREAKIN' AWESOME!! Only downer is no way to automatically skip to an inning (which you can do on a normal computer).

Picture quality is pretty close to regular HD. Sort of like crappy Comcast HD (I'd give a slight edge to Comcast...not as good as Satellite HD). I have seen a slightly better picture on my laptop, but only when I'm at work.  It is much more reliable on the Roku than on my laptop (at least when I'm at home, at work I have a repulsively fast connection).

My sister has Netflix, so I'll add that when I can get her password (she isn't into the tech thing enough to bother with leaning anything new). I'll report back with picture quality for Netflix (unless someone else can comment about it).

This thing is TINY as well. It's about the same dimension as a CD case (but taller, obviously).

I have to say, best $99 I've spent on the entertainment center.

If you're into MLB I think you can get the Roku HD for $80 with a MLB.TV subscription. As a huge Mets fan living in Colorado, MLB.TV is great to have.

guysonic:
One time considered the Roku, but then refurbished Samsung Blueray disc players for just $89 at Tigerdirect.com having Netfilx, Blockbuster, Youtube, and Pandora ability, and from experience, the picture off netflix is excellent HD if having ~7 meg DSL or cable grade service and at least a monitor with component or HDMI connections.

neumannkid:
Ive had the Roku for over a year. I have it wired and use it for movies and the picture quality is very good. I just replaced it with a blueray that streams and will be using the box wireless in another room. 

Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B):
The only thing I need to add is Blu-Ray playback and streaming from my media server, so I'll have to look into one of those Blu-ray players with streaming.

DigiGal:
+ 1 for Roku.  Picked one up when they were first introduced & beta tested new features for them on a few occasions. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version