Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Cheap laptop rig

(1/2) > >>

DaryanLenz:
OK, what is the cheapest form of doing some laptop taping?  I am kinda of looking to put together the el cheapo variety, maybe a 200 mhz processor and record on it.  I think Nick of the infamous nickspicks, sorry don't know his last name, has done this.  Any suggestions?  Also, say I put this together, what do I need to take the audio off of the laptop and put it onto my homecomputer?  Firewire?  Thanks for the help.  The other option I was considering was the jukebox 3.  Is the consensus that it finally works?  I have seen plenty of highend sources popping up with the jukebox behind it, so I assume it does...and the latest dat heads said something to that effect!

Have a great monday

Daryan

Hey armen, I got some free snow falling here in Iowa right now.  Maybe I will go put a cup out, collect it, and send it to you. The high here tomorrow is supposed to be 9 freakin' degrees, maybe I will package up some air for you too! ;D :D :)

zhianosatch:
Suh-weet! Don't forget the dry ice for packaging, though. It's going to be hot tomorrow! Just like every day! Man, I gotta say "Screw school" and go spend some hours at the beach... it's been time to do that since early Janurary. ;D
By the way, Shure said they'd just up and send a replacement for that fucked-up attenuator. I sent it in a couple weeks ago so a new one should be here soon.
Anyway, back to laptop taping...
A

hippies:

--- Quote from: DaryanLenz on February 23, 2003, 11:24:24 PM ---OK, what is the cheapest form of doing some laptop taping?  I am kinda of looking to put together the el cheapo variety, maybe a 200 mhz processor and record on it.  I think Nick of the infamous nickspicks, sorry don't know his last name, has done this.  Any suggestions?  Also, say I put this together, what do I need to take the audio off of the laptop and put it onto my homecomputer?  Firewire?  Thanks for the help.  The other option I was considering was the jukebox 3.  Is the consensus that it finally works?  I have seen plenty of highend sources popping up with the jukebox behind it, so I assume it does...and the latest dat heads said something to that effect!

--- End quote ---

hey D,

if i were you, i would give the JB3 a whirl.  makes a lot of sense for your setup.  even if you get a cheapo lappy, you still need to get the audio into the darn thing, so this will mean a VX or the like.  

the JB3 is pretty damn good nowadays, from what i hear.  if it DOES happen to dropout a time or two, here or there, this is easily fixed in post.  you may get a dropout every 3 shows, or you may not get any at all, who knows?  

especially if you have the DAT as backup, this route makes the most sense.  utilize the Optical -> output of your AD1K and you're good to go with the JB3.

~S

jpschust:
D,

If you are interested in going the laptop route check out www.compgeeks.com  They always have phat deals on all computer gear.

Jonny

DaryanLenz:
I don't know which way I am gonna go yet, but I will continue to run the da-p1 anyway, along with a jukebox or lapppy, so a drop out here and there is not a huge deal...I would just transfer the other source in that case!  Hey scott, I hope you had fun in chicago!

Daryan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version