Gear / Technical Help > Home Theatre & HDTV

ISO: 50 to 60" Plasma with good marks in the dub 1K dollar range.

<< < (2/4) > >>

OFOTD:

--- Quote from: scb on January 18, 2011, 12:37:39 PM ---
--- Quote from: shayne on January 18, 2011, 08:41:48 AM --- I would buy lcd or led before plasma. just my 2 cents.

--- End quote ---

I would get a plasma before an lcd or led.  my 2 cents :)

--- End quote ---

+1

willndmb:
why do you guys recommend plasma over lcd/led?

Todd R:

--- Quote from: willndmb on January 19, 2011, 01:46:40 PM ---why do you guys recommend plasma over lcd/led?

--- End quote ---

Thinking about replacing our 8 y.o. rear-projection LCD, and the much lower cost of plasmas certainly is a draw.

OFOTD:

--- Quote from: willndmb on January 19, 2011, 01:46:40 PM ---why do you guys recommend plasma over lcd/led?

--- End quote ---

For me it's a couple of things all having to do with picture quality.

First and foremost though are the black levels.  Watch a movie like the Dark Knight and on a LCD the dark scenes are really greenish. On the plasmas it more of a true black.  Higher contrast ratios also help the case for plasmas.  Secondly plasmas handle fast motion better.  Less blur and drag.  If you watch any sporting event you'll notice the difference.   Last is viewing angle.  The more you deviate from directly center the more the picture becomes less vivid.  Plasmas have a significantly wider viewing angle than LCD's.

What works in the LCD's favor is that you can get a slightly slimmer and lighter TV.   Also LCD's do not generate as much heat as the plasmas.

LCD's are starting to match up better in price compared to plasmas especially in the >50" sizes.  But all things being equal in price the picture quality of the plasmas really is a nice jump up from comparible LCD's.

DigiGal:
In addition to what has already been mentioned plasmas will deliver a more film-like picture and are currently better for 3D than LCD's with LED back lighting are.  Today's modern plasmas can be thin and are not prone to the issues of past plasma's.

LCD's will generally be brighter than plasma's so if your viewing room is bright with lots of sunlit windows that could be a factor.

While off to a slow start (there's not much of a selection of 3D movies at the moment) this is the next push out to viewers/consumers.  For the current price difference it is worth considering a 3D plasma if a new set is needed right now.  Of course 3D could be a flop or of no interest to you but having the option never hurts.

We replaced our 8 year old early high-def DLP rear projection set with a 3D plasma.  The old set was rebuilt under warranty at the 4 yr mark and was on its' way out again with a dim lamp which is now discontinued and complete failure of the built in audio.

Here is a review of the LG 60PX950  --> http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/305832/a-few-thoughts-about-the-lg-60px950-3d-plasma-official-thread    The 50PX950 is the same only smaller.

LG has recently announced replacements for this series at the CES 2011 but since they will not be available for a couple of months bargains can be found for the current models.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version