Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7

<< < (81/81)

DavidPuddy:
I'm taping for the first time in a while on SAturday night and the first time with my Mixpre-D. I'm planning to take some -18db attenuators for the input side. Anyone know if the line outs are good to go into ch 5&6 of Mixpre-6ii? I know they are hot but I feel like the recorder can handle it. I'd rather use the XLR outs than the tape out if I can. It seems to work fine with my stereo but shows are much louder  :smash:

Ronmac:
I also own a MixPre-D and a MP6ii. They compliment each other very well.

Personally, I use the MixPre-D unbalanced "Tape Out" to connect to the MixPre6ii 5/6 unbalanced inputs. They are level and impedance matched and allow a very simple mechanical connection with a single 3.5mmTRS connection.

The following, taken from page 7 of the MixPre-D manual, makes it clear to me that there is no advantage to converting the balanced XLR outs to the unbalanced inputs of the MixPre6ii.

--- Quote ---XLR Outputs
The two XLR outputs are active-balanced connections, each capable of driving long lines. These connections can be used as either balanced or unbalanced. When unbalancing, use pin-2 for (+) and pin-1 for ground; float (leave open) pin-3.
Tape Output
The Tape Output is typically used to interface with consumer inputs such as Comtek inputs or con- sumer transcription recorders. The MixPre-D has an unbalanced, two-channel tape level output on a single, TRS 3.5 mm connector.
The Tape Output program is identical to the XLR Output. Tape Out level is fixed at a -10 dBu nomi- nal level and is electrically isolated from the XLR Outputs. Additionally, the Tape Output is used for the Mix Out signal to link multiple Sound Devices mixers.
AES Digital Output
The Right XLR Output can be set to AES digital signal by sliding the XLR Output
switch to “AES”. In this configuration, the Right XLR Output contains both channels of the MixPre-D’s output as a balanced, AES3 signal. All other outputs are unaffected, so inputs panned left will appear on the left channel of the AES output plus the left channel of all analog outputs (in- cluding the left XLR main output).
Sampling Rate
The MixPre-D’s digital system operates at sample rates of 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, or 96 kHz. When either a USB connection or AES output is enabled the operating sample rate of the MixPre-D is indicated by the front panel Sample Rate LEDs. If AES output is disabled and there is no USB connection to a computer both Sample Rate LEDs are off.
To change the sampling rate of the MixPre-D, hold down the Headphone Controller while sliding the Right XLR Output switch to “AES”.
When connected to a computer with a USB cable, the sample rate of the MixPre-D is set by the comput- er’s operating system and the sample rate cannot be changed from the MixPre-D. See Computer Interface
Stereo Unbalanced Mic Output
The Stereo Unbalanced Mic Output is designed to interface with “pro-sumer” DSLR- type cameras. The MixPre-D has an unbalanced, two-channel “hot” mic level output on a single, locking, TA3M connector.
The Stereo Unbalanced Mic Output program is identical to the XLR Output. This out- put is fixed at a -36 dBu.

--- End quote ---

goodcooker:

Agreed ^. I ran a MixpreD for a bit and the Tape Out is much better suited for prosumer level devices with a -10 output instead of +4 on the XLRs.

Chanher:
I have a Sound Devices MP-2 preamp (very similiar to Mixpre D) and I quickly learned the tape out is the better option. The XLR outs simply run too hot and adding ADDITIONAL gain only to reduce it with attenuators is simply unnecessary. The only time you might benefit from the XLR outs is nature recording, spoken word or reeally quiet music.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version