Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Looking for a new recorder for stealth recording

<< < (8/8)

DATBoy:

--- Quote from: nulldogmas on April 21, 2022, 07:47:03 PM ---
--- Quote from: DATBoy on April 21, 2022, 01:38:00 PM --- Too bad that seemed to have had a very short production life because I would have considered it over this TASCAM DR-05X I recently got.

--- End quote ---

My understanding is that Sony didn't discontinue the A10, it's just way backordered because of COVID-related chip shortages.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the information. I seem to remember that Sony said on their website that it wasn't available. I now checked B+H and said back ordered. I would like to get one, so this is a good choice. Sony makes some of the best ones. I must say, however, there's something to be said about that single mic/line input there and I'm a little concerned about that because the TASCAM DR-05X is the same way and it feels like a learning curve since it's not like what I am used to on the PCM-M10 with a dedicated port to each. I mentioned all that on my own thread about my issue with the TASCAM just recently here.

surf1div1:
I have the R-07 and  stealth it through all three checks (KIA Forum) bag, walk through, and wand only to setup in my seat and discover that after prince alberting it in while seating pulling it out of my pants (with the minds eye you would be cracking up by now) the SD card had popped out while 'whipping it out'....the lycra of these shorts likely caught on the tab. Went to the men's room and emptied everything and couldn't find it in the shorts, fanny pack, or the floor. If I stay with this I will now carry spare cards which isn't an issue,  but the tab on the SD door tab busted (it's CHEAP plastic) and have it 'taped' shut. Mickey mouse for sure. Add to that the challenges of trying to seat another SD card and you have a recipe for disaster. So while it's a very stealth products with the rest of my gear I now know that I can easily get into most any show after this experience.

Dan33185:

--- Quote from: surf1div1 on January 18, 2023, 03:26:22 AM ---I have the R-07 and  stealth it through all three checks (KIA Forum) bag, walk through, and wand only to setup in my seat and discover that after prince alberting it in while seating pulling it out of my pants (with the minds eye you would be cracking up by now) the SD card had popped out while 'whipping it out'....the lycra of these shorts likely caught on the tab. Went to the men's room and emptied everything and couldn't find it in the shorts, fanny pack, or the floor. If I stay with this I will now carry spare cards which isn't an issue,  but the tab on the SD door tab busted (it's CHEAP plastic) and have it 'taped' shut. Mickey mouse for sure. Add to that the challenges of trying to seat another SD card and you have a recipe for disaster. So while it's a very stealth products with the rest of my gear I now know that I can easily get into most any show after this experience.

--- End quote ---

Any time I have to sneak it in, my first stop inside is always the bathroom, just less chance of losing something that way.

loughney:
I had been using the Tascam DR-07X.  It was pretty easy to stealth, I usually just had a neoprin phone sleve that I put both my iPhone & the deck and didn't have any problem.  For the microSD card cover (and a loose battery cover), I just secured it with painter's tape.

I have (had) two DR-07x that both have some diginoise when using the onboard mics in a Y pattern, if they are not fully extended (they don't click into place).  Quality has been OK, but have gone the external mic route, as placing them in my hat seems to help with eliminating some crowd noise.  I also played around with using the Tascam DR-05x using both the on-board mics and external mics - and the results were pretty interesting, but too much trouble - and recording in 4 channel eats batteries quicker than my cat eats her food.

I'm using the Sony A10 now, mostly because I like the BT control from my phone, so I don't have to futz with the recorder during the show. 

DR-07x internal mic sample shows:
https://archive.org/details/bmanning2021-11-20
https://archive.org/details/Fishbone2021-12-16

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version