Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Building a full 007 taping rig from scratch in 2022

(1/26) > >>

fandelive:
Hello,

Some guy (I never met, actually) listened to a couple of my tapes and just asked me to help him building a 007 taping rig from scratch. He told me he could manage to secure a spot between the audience and the stage, where press-photographers are allowed to stand during shows (I think it's called "the rail"), in an almost 2000 capacity theater which name starts with wilt and ends with ern. Please don't name it.

He wants to tape high SPLs rock concerts.

Considering the spot and the fact that he's totally new to taping, I adviced him to get a pair of omnidirectional mics (which will be easier to use for a newbie and probably the best choice regarding his spot... Right???) and to mount them at head level, close to his ears. He told me he was ready to spend a good amount of $$$ to get great results, so I suggested him two options:

* Core Sound High End Binaural Set (using DPA 4061 - I INSISTED on the fact that he absolutely wants LOW SENSIVITY caps, whatever the mics). I know there would be cheaper alternatives if you can find a second hand pair with micro dot connectors and someone who is willing to build a stereo 3.5 jack Y adapter, but I can't supervise the whole thing and you need both caps to be matched and all that kind of trouble...
* Church Audio CA-14's omnis (for a budget alternative - warned him about the building delay)
I then adviced him to get a 9V battery box to power the mics (either Core Sound and Church Audio will provide that). I wonder if it's a good suggestion since he'll probably get very low levels if he uses line-in. What do you think?

I don't know about the CA-14's (never owned a pair of those), but I've been experiencing DPA 4061's > 9V battery box > Tascam dr-2D line-in (levels set at 95 aka unity gain) and levels barely reached the -20dB threshold.
I've only recently replaced the battery box with a Church Audio CA-9100 preamp (knob set at 9 o'clock) and managed to make the levels peak at -3dB.

Before that, I've experienced a pair of 4.7k modded MM-HLSC-1's > Church Audio CA-9100 preamp (knob pushed to the max)  > Edirol R09-HR line-in (levels set at unity gain) and always got great results.

I've come to the point where I perfectly know my gear and don't have to think anymore about how to combine and set everything up to get great results.

So I question myself... A battery box is way easier to use than a preamp for a newbie, since you only have to control your levels on the recorder. But can you get decent results with a battery box powered low sensivity caps?

As for the recorder: I'm only experienced with devices that are no longer available (Edirol R-09HR and Tascam dr-2D), so I don't even know what to suggest for that point (and, again, I can't supervise the whole thing). He'll probably need help on how the set the recorded up.

I'd like to suggest a rig that's easy to manipulate and safe to set up, so he can get at least decent distorted-free results. Something he won't have to think too much about, like: mics > battery box > recorder <mic-in or line-in> <levels set at unity gain> > decent results > end of the story.

...but is it even possible?

Any suggestion is welcome as I'll probably point my young padawn to this thread :)
Thanks !

-fandelive

daspyknows:
Schoeps MK4 actives babynbox Tascam DR-2D, Edirol R-9 or Sony A10.  Can provide lots of samples and a number of other tapers can do that also.

fandelive:

--- Quote from: daspyknows on June 19, 2022, 03:45:13 PM ---Schoeps MK4 actives babynbox Tascam DR-2D, Edirol R-9 or Sony A10.

--- End quote ---

Well, I wouldn't exactly call that a starter rig  ;D
You've been actively taping for a long time to the point you became a legend.

What would be the approximative total cost of your rig?

DavidPuddy:

--- Quote from: fandelive on June 19, 2022, 04:27:52 PM ---
--- Quote from: daspyknows on June 19, 2022, 03:45:13 PM ---Schoeps MK4 actives babynbox Tascam DR-2D, Edirol R-9 or Sony A10.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

Less than 2500 can be done with used gear

daspyknows:

--- Quote from: fandelive on June 19, 2022, 04:27:52 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

If purchasing used about $2300-$2700.   Not a starter rig but saw spending a good amount of money so figured he wanted to go all in.  If he changes his mind he can sell for what we paid for it too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version