Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Noise-canceling over ear headphones that also are good for mastering?

(1/3) > >>

checht:
I travel w Bose noise canceling headphones. Great on the plane, not great to use mastering.

Anything out there that's better? Just give up and bring my Senn 6xx?

TIA

fireonshakedwnstreet:
The million dollar question. I tried doing this when I first started and it was a disaster!

Phil Zone:
I live by the Sony MDR-7506 they really are a gold standard for flat and reliable. They are a bit bright, but in a good way. I think the really high end listening headphones are not quiet as flat.

For mastering they are certainly a great pick, TV and Film industries live by them.

I also have used the wrong headphones in the past and it has ruined things... the noise canceling by nature modified the curve in a dynamic fashion, probably best to avoid for our application.

checht:

--- Quote from: Phil Zone on July 12, 2022, 11:43:24 PM ---I live by the Sony MDR-7506 they really are a gold standard for flat and reliable. They are a bit bright, but in a good way. I think the really high end listening headphones are not quiet as flat.

For mastering they are certainly a great pick, TV and Film industries live by them.

I also have used the wrong headphones in the past and it has ruined things... the noise canceling by nature modified the curve in a dynamic fashion, probably best to avoid for our application.

--- End quote ---
Love the 7506s, one of my go to pairs for mastering, along w a couple others.

How would noise canceling dynamically impact the sound when turned off? My use case is NC for the plane ride, but off otherwise.

Phil Zone:

--- Quote from: checht on July 13, 2022, 12:31:06 AM ---
--- Quote from: Phil Zone on July 12, 2022, 11:43:24 PM ---I live by the Sony MDR-7506 they really are a gold standard for flat and reliable. They are a bit bright, but in a good way. I think the really high end listening headphones are not quiet as flat.

--- End quote ---
Love the 7506s, one of my go to pairs for mastering, along w a couple others.

How would noise canceling dynamically impact the sound when turned off? My use case is NC for the plane ride, but off otherwise.

--- End quote ---

Ah, When it's off it certainly wouldn't make any difference to the sound. I would add, most NC headphones are meant for listening enjoyment though and not the most precise reproduction. That being said, there may be some serious headphones out there that are more flat. I am speaking in terms of the off the shelf Bose or Sony WH series and the likes of that, I have Sony WH-4000 and they are highly tuned with some extra bass and punchier mids. They sound great, I just wouldn't fully trust them for mastering.

Where I work around mastering we are always wired so I have little input on wireless products

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version