Gear / Technical Help > Recording Gear

Zoom & Tascam Live Mixer/Recorder Units (any experience out there?)

<< < (2/5) > >>

GLouie:
A MixPre10 just needs TA3 to XLR output adapter cables, but it's not exactly in the same product category or price. If you already had one, it would certainly do as you say, but for cost and convenient physical controls, it sounds like you'd be better off with the others.

billydee:

--- Quote from: GLouie on December 15, 2022, 11:34:25 AM ---A MixPre10 just needs TA3 to XLR output adapter cables, but it's not exactly in the same product category or price. If you already had one, it would certainly do as you say, but for cost and convenient physical controls, it sounds like you'd be better off with the others.

--- End quote ---
I hadn't realized that fact about the MixPre10, thanks for the info.
And yes, I'm not looking to spend that much money in this scenario.

billydee:

--- Quote from: goodcooker on December 14, 2022, 05:34:42 PM ---I took a long look at a couple of these earlier this year. Went down to the big box guitar store and fooled around with the Zoom mixers. They seemed like what they are - low cost small format mixers with a recorder built in. Sounded fine though and the headphone amp was okay although I don't know if it would be totally adequate for mixing in a live environment.

I ended up going in a different (much cheaper) direction.

The Zoom Livetrak L8 seems like it would check all your boxes.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for your thoughts on this. I hadn't thought much about the headphone amp so that's a little bit of a consideration. Assuming it's as good as the DR-701D it would be fine. Plus I don't plan to really "mix" much in the live environment. I'd set it up once for the acts we do stream and just go with that.

billydee:

--- Quote from: morst on December 15, 2022, 02:35:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: billydee on December 14, 2022, 04:49:28 PM ---
--- Quote from: morst on December 14, 2022, 04:41:43 PM ---are you trying to both stream a 2-channel mix and also record multi channel?

--- End quote ---
We only stream some of the acts and the DR-701D 2 channel Live Mix feature works well for that, assuming I set it up correctly beforehand. I also want to record two pairs of mics (one at FOH and one onstage) and the board feed to work on later. Previously I could only record one set of mics and the board feed.

I've considered the SD MixPre 6 or 10 but they don't offer the XLR outputs I want and I don't need the portability.

--- End quote ---
I'll take that as a YES.

You sure you can't get by with the mini-out on the MixPre, or perhaps a USB output?

--- End quote ---
Hey morst. Sorry for the long winded answer to your very simple question!  ;D
So yes I could get by with a mini-out and have two MixPre 6 recorders available from local friends if I needed to borrow them. I'm just real curious about these other kinds of mixer/recorders and am ready to start playing around with a new toy in the new year.

billydee:
Another feature I'd not originally considered but would need in this case is the ability to put a specific amount of delay on at least one input feeding the recorders output 9for streaming). I'm currently able to do that with the Tascam DR-701D by adding delay to the soundboard feed keeping the sbd/mics LiveMix output in sync. Unfortunately I don't see that feature listed on any of the mixer/recorders I'm considering.

If the MixPre series had a better range on it's delay function that would be a reason to relook at those. But from what I understand the amount of that delay is limited to 30ms on both the 6 and the 10.
Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version