Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Mic stand noise

<< < (2/5) > >>

GLouie:
Yes, I find these tall, light, metal stands ring when thumped. I put sandbags on the base legs, which also improves stability and safety. Along with your shockmounts, that is about all you can do.

Any shock sounds should get recorded faithfully and you can try filters in post.

grv68:
Thanks for the examples and the suggestions!

voltronic:

--- Quote from: GLouie on January 21, 2023, 03:32:05 PM ---Yes, I find these tall, light, metal stands ring when thumped. I put sandbags on the base legs, which also improves stability and safety. Along with your shockmounts, that is about all you can do.

Any shock sounds should get recorded faithfully and you can try filters in post.

--- End quote ---

Weights are a must for safety and stability, but I never considered they might help with stand resonance. I have heard people recommend attaching small clamp-on boom weights to the first vertical section a few feet above to the base for this purpose.

If you're on a hard floor, you can also put vibration absorbers under the feet. I have a set of sticky Sorbothane pucks I sometimes use.

EmRR:
I've never had a problem with the clips built into the Rycote mounts.  I run a studio and use up to 8 of these every session, clipped that way.  Inches to feet from drummers, etc.  No vibrations make it in.    I do a lot of concert broadcast field work, same situation.   They're really designed for the Rycote pigtails with thinner wire, those do help. 

voltronic:

--- Quote from: EmRR on January 21, 2023, 06:58:11 PM ---I've never had a problem with the clips built into the Rycote mounts.  I run a studio and use up to 8 of these every session, clipped that way.  Inches to feet from drummers, etc.  No vibrations make it in.    I do a lot of concert broadcast field work, same situation.   They're really designed for the Rycote pigtails with thinner wire, those do help.

--- End quote ---

It's more the tightness of them because they are designed for the pigtails that I don't use them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version