Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Mixing a SBD Feed

(1/3) > >>

checht:
I’ve been recording Steely Dead for a few years now, probably 30ish shows, in collaboration with the band.

I’ve been running a pair of mk41s along with a SBD feed. Over time, I’ve found I most like the sound of the mics when they’re placed a bit downstage of the high-hat. Kind of like uber-over heads.

I have used a L/R PA feed, as I have w other bands like Los Lobos. Mostly b/c that’s what’s easy for them. But ahead of last week’s SD tour, I was thinking about their switch to IEMs, and what that would mean for stage sound. I figured that no vocals would be main impact. Then it occurred to me that since I would get my feed as 2 aux bus output channels from the Behringer  iem mixer, possibilities opened up.

Rather than L/R, I considered what I wanted to get to supplement the ambient pair. I decided to go with 1 channel of vocals, and 1 with bass, guitar, and keys. At the first show soundcheck, I had the boys individually sing and then play their instrument, and matched their levels. I used an ios app for the Behringer that made it easy. A pair of drummer’s isolating headphones allowed me to hear enough during the show to tweak levels a bit.

Home from tour and listening/mixing, I’m happy with the results and think it sounds better than before.

Here’s a link on the archive:
https://archive.org/details/sd2023-01-21/sd20230121.matrix.2448-06.flac

Wondering if anyone else is working similarly, and/or has ideas.

jefflester:
Are you creating the info files as well? If so gotta give you a ribbing.

"03. Tied To The Mast"

Any major dude well tell you the song is called "Home At Last"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hx5ZlTyzU-k

morst:
Are SBD vocals or instruments ever panned in stereo? Keyboards are, I bet.
Why not use two channels for each SBD group? Sounds good overall but the entire stereo effect comes from the mic pair.
If you're out of channels, I get that, but it looks like you have six available if you're using a MixPre6!?!

edit, a major dic...tionary dude will tell ya to spell check Bodhisattva too... lol.

checht:
Totally agree. Vocals are often mostly center, but instruments get panned.

Lots of room on the MP6, no more outputs for me on the Behringer.

Was thinking I could use rx9 to separate the bass from the keys/guitar, and send bass R and others L, which is how they are on stage.

Thanks!

morst:

--- Quote from: checht on January 29, 2023, 12:14:48 AM ---Lots of room on the MP6, no more outputs for me on the Behringer.

--- End quote ---

What Behringer? Some old analog one?
X32 has a whole row of 8 assignable XLR "Omni" outputs.
Like the Yamaha LS9, it LOOKS LIKE it should be a touch screen but it's not.
The knobs under the display of the X32 click in addition to turning.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version