Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Headphones

<< < (2/5) > >>

Sean Gallemore:
Kinda off topic, but I just found out you can record using headphones.
Kinda sounds outrageous but true.  I'm sure all you already knew that since you understand the principles of head/micrphones so well, but just thought I would throw in my $0.02.  So if you ever get ready to spuck and you break your mics, bring h/ps just in case ;)

Bri:
yes, they will work as dynamic mics, but I would only use it as a FAR FAR last resort! ;)

Bri

Brian Skalinder:
I like the Etymotic ER-6s a lot.  Great for monitoring b/c they attenuate the room 15-20dB, so I don't have to blast my ears off to hear how things sound.  Although mostly I just monitor deck levels, now.  Pack small, nice sound!

And dual purpose - I use 'em for listening to tunes on my motorbike, too.

Stumptown Matt:
So what are the best headphones for recording a concert? ;) ;) Can I get headphones with interchangeable speakers.  Who's got my fatty shotgun headphones. ;D ;D

hippies:
hehe.  shotgun headphones.

anyway, i have a question for you guys.  

i havta  agree with Ryan and Jonny on this one.  

i never did see the reason for carrying around headphones and monitoring at a gig.  my question is this:

even if you detected that the sound wasn't quite what you would really like, what can you actually change in the middle of a recording?  

most people only have one set of mics/ pre/ ad/ deck etc.  not likely you can physically move, or you'd be in a better position anyway.  i don't think you could possibly hear well enuf over headphones in a concert setting to determine if a different stereo pattern would be beneficial?  check to see if there is wind on your tapes?  if it's windy, and you're worried, you already have your best screens on, so what more can you do?  

is it just plain ol' curiousity?  i know i am curious as hell about the headphones thing and have never had the occasion to ask.  i see guys spending half their time at the show, (not saying anyone here does this) listening to the tape, and it always makes me wonder.  plenty of time to listen to the tape later.  only one time you ever get to experience that show 'LIVE'!  

not trying to offend anyone at all, just really curious as to what's going on here.  maybe someone can show me what i'm missing.  as it stands now, i just don't see the benefit to carrying the bulky phones around.  i carry enuf stuff already.         :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version