Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Do any handhelds record via USB?  (Read 10688 times)

Roving Sign

• Trade Count: (0)
Do any handhelds record via USB?
« on: January 08, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »
Are there any handheld recorders that allow recording via USB - say connected to some sort of UA5 computer-type interface...?

This would seem to be a cool approach - opens the door to easier multi-channel recording...

If a zoom H2 can record 4 channels at once...why cant we have a simple USB 2.0 recorder?

like "lappy-less" recording...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:08:35 PM by Roving Sign »

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
Re: Do any handhelds record via USB?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2009, 06:30:59 PM »
Are there any handheld recorders that allow recording via USB - say connected to some sort of UA5 computer-type interface...?

This would seem to be a cool approach - opens the door to easier multi-channel recording...

If a zoom H2 can record 4 channels at once...why cant we have a simple USB 2.0 recorder?

like "lappy-less" recording...

I am not 100% sure what you are asking?

However I think it is to use the recorder as a USB audio input interface like the UA5?

The Zoom H4 can act as an external  'sound card' (audio interface), but it only records 2 channels at a time. You want 4 channel input? Then you will need to use an external audio interface like...

Many of these will, if you are lugging a laptop, then I don't see the problem with using a multi-channel interface?

EDIT: I see...the Edirol R44 does 4 channel? (reasonably cheaply) Why do you want USB involved?

digifish

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:35:39 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Roving Sign

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2009, 06:40:40 PM »
Sorry I should be clearer - I really mean - hooking something like an ipod or even a JB3 up to a UA5 via USB...

Lots of handhelds have USB for file transfer - but - apparently, not recording.

So Im basically suggesting something that would do the same thing a laptop does...but without all the frills...

Does that make sense?

The ikey seems be sort of the idea - but only two channel 16/44...
http://www.ikey-audio.com/ikeyplus.htm

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »
Sorry I should be clearer - I really mean - hooking something like an ipod or even a JB3 up to a UA5 via USB...

So Im basically suggesting something that would do the same thing a laptop does...but without all the frills...

Does that make sense?

So, you want an inexpensive 4+ channel hand-held recorder that accepts USB input and can run external audio interfaces?

The R44 is about as close as you can get to that spec, but it's combined all in one box (which BTW is very convenient). If I had a Zoom H2 sized recorder that accepted USB input then I would have a clumbsy external USB audio interface and a cable...not sure what the advantage of this would be?

digifish
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 07:23:06 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 11:33:16 PM »
You want to plug a multichannel audio interface via USB into a box that either has the means to store the incoming data, or another USB output to a suitable drive - I think...

The problem is that the device would need to provide the required drivers for the audio interface.  It would also need to have some kind of menu driven interface to arm or not arm tracks, transport controls, and so forth.  By the time you'd done all that and priced it bearing in mind likely market size, you'd be charging rather more than the average laptop costs, I suspect.

The iKey takes incoming analog audio and outputs via USB to external storage.  That's the other way round, and is rather easier to accomplish.

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2009, 07:50:14 AM »
The H2 does 2 track  usb  to PC "podcasting" although I'v never used the feature.

Roving Sign

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »
You want to plug a multichannel audio interface via USB into a box that either has the means to store the incoming data, or another USB output to a suitable drive - I think...

The problem is that the device would need to provide the required drivers for the audio interface.  It would also need to have some kind of menu driven interface to arm or not arm tracks, transport controls, and so forth.  By the time you'd done all that and priced it bearing in mind likely market size, you'd be charging rather more than the average laptop costs, I suspect.

The iKey takes incoming analog audio and outputs via USB to external storage.  That's the other way round, and is rather easier to accomplish.

Dont (at least some of) these audio interfaces remember their last settings when not attached to a PC?

The ikey...I guess the question would be: why cant the UA5 do what the ikey does (with respect to a downstream USB storage device)

The ikey is just an ultra-simple UA5 (ie audio interface)....
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:01:00 AM by Roving Sign »

Roving Sign

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2009, 08:00:28 AM »
The H2 does 2 track  usb  to PC "podcasting" although I'v never used the feature.

Thats different - in that scenario the H2 is acting like a sound card...and the PC becomes the recorder...

I want to use a USB storage device with any USB 2.0 audio interface... :P

Roving Sign

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »

Does that make sense?

So, you want an inexpensive 4+ channel hand-held recorder that accepts USB input and can run external audio interfaces?

The R44 is about as close as you can get to that spec, but it's combined all in one box (which BTW is very convenient). If I had a Zoom H2 sized recorder that accepted USB input then I would have a clumbsy external USB audio interface and a cable...not sure what the advantage of this would be?

digifish

The advantage would be the flexibility to use different audio interfaces - and not be wed to one box's mic pres/analog sound

Roving Sign

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 08:09:57 AM »

Does that make sense?

...then I would have a clumbsy external USB audio interface and a cable...
digifish

c'mon fish...one box connected to another with a wire is a pretty traditional setup in this hobby...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 08:11:40 AM by Roving Sign »

Offline Kevin T

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2009, 11:20:00 AM »
AFAIK your 2 boxs must have one USB master( PC) . The H2 , UA5 etc can only be slaves

Offline sunjan

• Needs to get out more...
  • Taping since 1988, 28 years of fine recordings...
    • Just a handful of stuff I put on etree
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2009, 06:11:44 PM »
The problem is that the device would need to provide the required drivers for the audio interface. 

This is the crux of the matter. Think about it, whenever you connect a USB device to a laptop, it need to have drivers written for that particular OS (usually Win, Linux or OSX). These drivers are normally provided either as CD; as internet download, or preinstalled with the OS.

That means that your "dream recorder" must run on a proper PC OS like one of the above, to be compatible with existing drivers. Think about it, it should be able to recognize 100's of different external devices. Or be open source (something like Rockbox) where users can compile drivers for their favorite USB sound cards. The "dream recorder" must then allow drivers to be uploaded with the firmware through the USB.

Basically, the "dream recorder" must be a computer to act like a computer.

I'd say the Asus Eee is as close as you can get to this idea yet. Maybe in the future...
Mics: A-51s LE, CK 930, Line Audo CM3, AT853Rx (hc,c,sc),  ECM 121, ECM 909A
Pres: Tinybox, CA-9100, UA5 wmod
Recorders: M10, H116 (CF mod), H340, NJB3
Gearbag: High Sierra Corkscrew
MD transfers: MZ-RH1. Tape transfers: Nak DR-1
Photo rig: Nikon D70, 18-70mm/3.5-4.5, SB-800

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »
I'd say the Asus Eee is as close as you can get to this idea yet. Maybe in the future...

BTW: There are lots of ultra portable PC's hitting the market and on the market now...

http://jkkmobile.blogspot.com/

http://www.umpcportal.com/

I have an eee PC 900HA btw, yet to take it into the field...but plan to.

digifish

« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:34:48 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

Offline cybergaloot

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Poohbah!
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2009, 06:44:54 PM »
Just to drag this in yet another direction, there are mics with USB outputs and I've seen an adapter that you plug into a regular mic's XLR connector that outputs USB. But like has been said, you'll probably need a driver and you probably can't hook up more than one without problems unless the drive is written for multiple devices. From what I've seen, those mics are aimed at the Podcast market, not filed recordists. With those mics or the adapter/mic combo, the mic ends up providing it's own phantom power, has its own preamp and does its own A/D conversion (at least I think so). In fact there is a mic that IS a recorder but its not something we'd normally use.

For what its worth, I'd bet that many of the current digital recorders are running a dedicated and stripped down version of Linux.
--
Walter

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. Will Rogers

this>that>the other

Offline digifish_music

• Taperssection All-Star
    • digifish music
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2009, 10:15:11 PM »
Just to drag this in yet another direction, there are mics with USB outputs and I've seen an adapter that you plug into a regular mic's XLR connector that outputs USB. But like has been said, you'll probably need a driver and you probably can't hook up more than one without problems unless the drive is written for multiple devices. From what I've seen, those mics are aimed at the Podcast market, not filed recordists. With those mics or the adapter/mic combo, the mic ends up providing it's own phantom power, has its own preamp and does its own A/D conversion (at least I think so). In fact there is a mic that IS a recorder but its not something we'd normally use.

For what its worth, I'd bet that many of the current digital recorders are running a dedicated and stripped down version of Linux.

This would suit the group here (if you like the A/D)...

http://www.bluemic.com/products/icicle

Features
Plug and Record - No Special Drivers Required

Built-in Studio Quality USB Microphone Preamp

Supplies 48V Phantom Power for Condenser Mics

Fully Balanced Low Noise Analog Front End

Analog Level Control

Phantom Power Active Light

Includes 6-ft USB Cable

digifish
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 10:17:09 PM by digifish_music »
- What's this knob do?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.164 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com